January 19, 2015
A June 1925 panorama of Burnley town centre. The Roxy was trading as the Andrews Picture House.
No one has favorited this photo yet
At the time of the photo, the Empire was still a live theatre. Films came on 19 May 1930.
The Victoria was a live theatre to the end. It was a 2,000 seater and was demolished in 1955. Woolworth’s in the building to the left of it in the photo extended their old building, with architectural sensitivity, and opened it in November 1958.
During WW2 the Victoria was the (evacuated) base for the Old Vic and Sadlers Wells companies from London, from which they toured. Burnley even hosted Lawrence Olivier and Vivienne Leigh for a while.