The first theater on the site of the Strand Theater was the Avenue, which opened on January 23, 1907. Later that year the Avenue Theater became the Orpheum Theater, managed by Charles and George Hammond. Opening night was October 22, 1907. The Orpheum was not a plush theater and it only seated about 100 people. It closed on April 15, 1915 and a new theater, the Strand was built on the same site at a cost of $50 000. It opened the day before Thanksgiving in 1915 with a movie entitled “Graustark”, starring Beverly Bane and Edna Mayo. The Strand operated for 43 years until it closed in 1958 by the owners, the Shea Corporation. In 1976, the Cambridge Performing Arts Center was organice under the direction of Don Mercer for the purpose of restoring the Strand Theater and on September 10, 1977, after almost 20 years of rest, the doors reopened with the musical “Gypsy”. The theater still open ,showing live theatrical entertainment. From the Cambridge Performing Arts Center history website.
No one has favorited this photo yet