B. F. Keith's Theatre
547 Washington Street,
5 people favorited this theater
B. F. Keith and E. F. Albee opened B. F. Keith’s New Theatre on March 24, 1894, directly behind their Bijou Theatre and next door to their Boston Theatre.
Although it was primarily a vaudeville house during Keith-Albee’s ownership, Thomas Edison demonstrated his new Vitascope movie projector here on May 18, 1896. This was the first projection of a movie anywhere in Boston.
After the Keith-Albee partnership replaced their Boston Theatre with the B.F Keith Memorial Theatre in 1928, they sold this no longer “New” theatre to the Shubert organization. It reopened on April 1, 1929, as the Apollo Theatre, but soon changed its name to the Lyric Theatre. It later became a movie house, first called the Normandie Theatre and then the Laffmovie Theatre.
It was demolished in the early-1950’s and for many years its former site stood empty as a parking lot. In 2004, much of that parking lot became a stage extension and loading docks for the Opera House (the former B.F. Keith Memorial Theatre).
The former entrance at 547 Washington Street still stands and is now a retail store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater