Autoview Drive-In

1202 N. Pearl Street,
Tacoma, WA 98406

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Autoview Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Autoview Drive-In was along Pearl Street in Tacoma’s West End, and opened in 1950. The highway leading to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge passed by the drive-in, and drivers could try to see what film was playing there.

It was owned by Forman Unit and managed by Homer and Bell Kiehl. There was room for 725 cars.

The drive-in closed in 1983 and was demolished in 1985, to make way for apartments.

Contributed by Kate DeWeese

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

RobertR
RobertR on October 14, 2008 at 2:56 pm

A great 50’s double bill

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 10, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Here is a photo from drive-ins.com circa 1947:
http://tinyurl.com/ybkdu86

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on September 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Great picture Robert. Peter Cushing a class act!

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on September 17, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Great name for a Drive-in.

rjh
rjh on March 7, 2018 at 6:20 pm

Used to live in Tacoma, and had friends who lived in the Polynesia apts. right behind the parking lot of Autoview. We used to sit on the back fence of the drive-in and watch the films. I probably saw Jaws 50 times while hanging out with friends back there. We were like ally cats on the back fence. :)

The police would come by, sometimes, to see what we were up to. As long as we didn’t cause any problems, they would let us stay, and even turned up a few speakers in the very back, so we could actually hear as well as watch.

We had a lot of fun hanging out there, on those warm summer nights, in the early 70’s.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater