Loew's Palace Theatre
81 Union Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Loew’s Palace Theatre opened on January 15, 1921. A row of 19th century storefronts was removed in 1919 to build the Palace building, but the half-block depth caused the Palace Theatre to have a shallow, wide lobby, with twin staircases. Brass light fixtures stood on the newel posts. A dividing wall of draped windows between the lounge areas and the front lobby served to make the space appear larger and more imposing. The architect was Thomas Lamb; the décor, in Loew’s Adam style was elaborate in all areas, with stained glass in many light fixtures and all exit signs throughout. Early newspaper articles mention a half dome in the stage area copying the Rialto Theatre in New York City. This was later removed and a mural topped the flat proscenium. It also opened as a strictly film theatre, adding stage fare later.
M.A. Lightman leased the Palace Theatre from 1935-1939 and renamed it the Malco Theatre (for M.A. Lightman Co.) or Malco Palace Theatre.
Its classic 1940’s outdoor display, after Loew’s reopened the theatre, is visible in many downtown photographs and many noteworthy films played there. CinemaScope was advertised in 1953.
The Palace Theatre was most noted for being the Mid-South’s Cinerama theatre from July 1961 to October 1963. The installation of Cinerama required a number of interior alterations to accommodate the huge curved screen and triple projection equipment. That screen could not be used for standard format movies and, when it was removed, the auditorium looked patched over and shabby.
Loew’s donated the Palace Theatre to Bountiful Blessings Deliverance Church in 1977. The church reopened the stage and used it for a variety of purposes, but the building continued to deteriorate and it proved difficult to maintain. It closed for good in 1985. It was replaced by a parking garage, still standing in 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater