1601 Blue Hill Avenue,
8 people favorited this theater
Originally the Oriental Theatre was going to built in Waltham, but ended up in Boston’s Mattapan district/neighborhood. This theatre in the heart of Mattapan Square is still standing although used as a electrical supply house.
This ornate theatre was a showplace at the time with twinkling stars and moving clouds. It opened in 1929 and was designed by the Boston based architectural firm Krokyn, Browne & Rosenstein. The Chinese themed interior re-created such notable Chinese structures as the Street Gate of Tsinanfu and the facade of the Wan Shou Tsu Temple. Seating was on a stadium plan, with a raised section at the rear instead of an overhanging balcony.
Originally, part of Jacob Lourie’s and Sam Pinanski’s NETOCO, then Paramount-Publix and M & P closing as one of the last of the old American Theatres Corp. (ATC). The Oriental Theatre closed in 1971 with the James Bond movie “Diamonds Are Forever”
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater