140 E. 2nd Street,
10 people favorited this theater
Like many institutions in economically depressed Flint, the Capitol Theatre is now closed. It first opened January 19, 1928, and was built for the W.S. Butterfield chain.
The Capitol Theatre has an exterior design in a 15th-century Hispano-Italian style, with the Atmospheric style auditorium designed to resemble a Roman courtyard. The Capitol Theatre was closed to movies in 1976. It hosted concerts from the late-1970’s, with the likes of AC/DC, Ray Charles, John Mellencamp, Mel Tillis, Primus, Rage Against the Machine and Black Sabbath. appearing. It closed around 1996.
In mid-2016 the Capitol Theatre was purchased by Uptown Investment Corp. and Whiting Co. who will do a &21,000,000 plus renovation/restoration of the Capitol Theatre as a Performing Arts Center set to open Fall of 2017. The physical plant will be completely modernized with all the historically significant architecture preserved and restored. The restored performing arts center will seat 1,500.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater