698 Rue Sainte-Catherine O.,
2 people favorited this theater
Architects: Charles Howard Crane
Previous Names: Allen Theatre, Palace Theatre
This major movie palace in the center of Montreal opened on May 14, 1921 with Constance Talmadge in “Lessons in Love”. It opened as the Allen Theatre, but was renamed Palace Theatre in 1923. It was equipped with a Warren 3 manual 14 ranks theatre pipe organ. In 1928 it was the first movie theatre in Canada to be wired for sound and the first ‘talkie’ to be screened here was Janet Gaynor in “Street Angel”. In 1953 it became the first theatre in Montreal to be equipped with CinemaScope when Richard Burton in “The Robe” was screened.
In August 1980, the theatre was closed, gutted, and converted into a 6-screen multiplex before reopening on June 26, 1981 as the Palace 6. The Palace Theatre became a discount house in 1995.
In October 1999, a notice at the entrance was placed for approval for conversion into a parking garage. The theatre closed in January 2000 and then reopened as Centre Metafloria (a high-tech amusement park) in December 2000.
Centre Mirafloria closed in April 2002 after losing an estimated $15 million. By 2016 the front of the building is a Five Guys burger restaurant and the auditorium is office space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.