744 W. Flagler Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: T.C. Haire
Styles: Italian Renaissance
The 1,200-seat Tivoli Theatre on W. Flagler Street between 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue was opened on January 18, 1927 with Clara Bow in “The Plastic Age” & Ben Turpin in “When a Man’s a Prince”, plus vaudeville on the stage. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual 5 ranks organ which was opened by organist J. “Unit” Smith. By 1941 it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary S.A. Lynch. It became a primary Spanish language house for the Cuban immigrant and exile community during the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s. The interior was decorated in a Venetian style and the canopy had an impressive blinking neon design and the concession stand served both the inside and the line waiting outside at once.
The house ran double feature first runs mainly from Spain, Mexico and Argentina. Stage shows were common with child stars Marisol, Joselito and Rocio Durcal appearing live between movies.
Our family went every Sunday without knowing what was showing. Cantinflas films played for weeks so we often saw the same film again.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.