275 Fairfield Avenue,
6 people favorited this theater
Bijou Theatre (Official)
Architects: Ernest G. Southey
Styles: Spanish Renaissance
Previous Names: Rivoli Theatre, Studio Cinema, Downtown Family Cinema
News About This Theater
- Sep 10, 2011 — Bijou Theatre rebirth
- Aug 22, 2011 — Art-film houses going through rebirth in Fairfield County
- Oct 27, 2004 — Bijou Theatre To Reopen
One of the very last historic movie theaters left in Bridgeport, the Bijou Theatre was opened in 1909, originally intended as an opera house, it opened as a movie theatre. In 1929, it was renamed Rivoli Theatre, and in later years became the Studio Cinema, and the Downtown Family Cinema, which closed in 1996. The seating capacity was for 604.
After laying dormant for many years, the theater was purchased by new owners in 2005, and eventually renovation work began. The Bijou Theatre re-opened July 7, 2011. It now operates as a multi-functional venue with 202 seats (94 stadium, 108 cabaret). The dominant focus will be on independent films and cultural art performances, with additional attractions of live music, comedy and theatrical productions.
The original proscenium arch has been retained, framing an intimate stage, equipped with new lighting & sound system. There is an old fashioned style concession stand, a full service bar, and coming soon, full dinner service at the cabaret tables.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.