Twin City Opera House
15 West Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Twin City Opera House (Official)
Architects: H.C. Lindsay
Styles: Romanesque Revival
Previous Names: Opera House
Opening May 28, 1892 the Opera House has been in continous operation except for one week in 1936 to install true sound projectors (optical)and move the projection booth from the balcony to above the mezzaine, behind the balcony.
Designed by H.C. Lindsay of Zanesville, Ohio, the second floor was office space, the third floor, a grand ballroom. The building has a tower 108' high that was to include a clock that was never installed. The stage floor is ‘raked’ at three degrees to allow audiences in the front row to see the performers feet.
Began showing movies in 1913. Synchronized 78rpm records with film, talkies were shown between 1930 and 1936. The theatre was the first building in McConnelsville to be lit with electric light (in-house generator). Unfortunately it proved to be unreliable and gas fictures replaced the electric lights. The old gas fictures are still in use, converted to electricity.
Currently the theatre has a mix of first run movies and live performances.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.