No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Robert Bullivant
Firms: Harry W. Weedon Partnership
Styles: Art Deco
One of the original Odeon’s built for and operated by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatre Ltd. The Odeon was located in the centre of Bradford at the corner of Manchester Road and Town Hall Square.
The Odeon opened on 17th December 1938 with the World Premiere of "The Ware Case" starring Clive Brooke, who also attended the opening ceremony. Designed by architect Robert Bullivant out of the Harry Weedon office, the Odeon had a large window over the entrance, with a fin-tower to its left, which had glass bricks that were illuminated from inside the tower. The facade and tower were finished in cream faiance tiles.
The auditorium was built parallel to the steeply sloping Manchester Road, behind a parade of shops. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided for 1,750 in the stalls and 963 in the circle. The decorative features were fluting on the side walls, a full-relief sculptor on each splay wall beside the proscenium and a stepped ceiling, with hanging light pendants.
The Odeon was closed on 31st August 1940 due to damage by German bombs, and after repairs were carried out, it re-opened on 11th November 1940 with Fred MacMurray in "Rangers of Fortune". It was closed again for a month in January 1961, for alterations to the foyer.
The Odeon was sold to Bradford City Council for redevelopment and closed on 22nd March 1969 with Steve McQueen in "The Thomas Crown Affair". It was demolished in 1970 and the West Yorkshire Police building and Law Courts were built on the site.
The ‘Odeon’ name was transfered to the town’s former New Victoria/Gaumont Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.