Grand Picture House
125 Manchester Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Elite Picture House Co. Ltd.
Opened on 24th May 1912 by a Mr. Lewis Boocock, the theater had a narrow entrance on Manchester Road as part of a block of shops known as Marshall’s Mill. Patrons then walked the length of a narrow lobby and down steps to the left to the theatre’s auditorium which ran parallel to the shops. The theatre originally had about 500 seats, mostly in stalls though there was a small balcony. The tiny projection booth was reached via a staircase on the outside of the building.
In 1916, the lease was assumed by the Elite Picture House Company Ltd., owned by Eddie Anderton; his company operated two other theaters in Bradford at the time. Anderton then purchased the theatre during an auction sale in 1924.
Sound was installed in 1930. The theatre closed in 1932. In 1934, it was used as a boxing stadium. This usage ceased in 1939 as it was becoming clear that war with Nazi Germany was imminent.
The former theatre and all of the shops that were a part of Marshall’s Mill were demolished in 1969 as part of a road widening scheme.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.