No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Frank Ernest Bromige
Styles: Art Deco
Located on the corner of Broadway and Strode Crescent. The Argosy Cinema was opened on 29th January 1936 with Jack Buchanan in "Brewster’s Millions". Built for and operated by East Kent Cinemas Ltd., the building had a hexagonal tower on the left of the facade. Inside the auditorium there was a 33 feet wide proscenium and a 14 feet stage with two dressing rooms. The Argosy Cinema also had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
Taken over by the Lou Morris chain by 1944, it was taken over by the Essoldo Cinemas chain in 1947. The Argosy Cinema was closed by Essoldo in 1968, and it was converted into a bingo club which was operated by Gala Bingo until 1994. It was renamed Kings Bingo Club and in November 2008 plans were proposed to demolish the building and construct flats on the site. The Kings Bingo Club was still open in 2010, but had closed by 2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.