21 Oswald Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Studio 5-6-7, Cannon
Located on the corner of Oswald Road and Mary Street. The Majestic Cinema was opened in 1927. It had a seating capacity of 972, in stalls and circle levels. There was also a cafe for the convenience of patrons.
In late-1934, it was taken over by the Star Cinemas chain based in Leeds. The Majestic Cinema was tripled in 1979, and was re-named Studio 5-6-7. Taken over by the Cannon Group in 1986, they only operated it for a short while and the cinema was sold to Gerald Parkes, and it was re-named Majestic Cinema.
By 1990, another two screens had been added in former unused spaces, including the former cafe. The Majestic Cinema was closed in February 2003 due to the 7-screen UCI (now Vue) multiplex opening in the town. It was demolished in March 2007, and the empty site was used for car parking. Apartments were built on the site in 2017, named Majestic House.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.