Empire Palace Cinema
12 South Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Empire Electric Palace (Official)
Previously operated by: Essoldo Circuit (Contol) Ltd.
Firms: Gibson & Stienlet
Functions: Auto Repair Shop
Previous Names: Empire Theatre, Empire Electric Palace
Located in Crook, County Durham in the Market Place at South Street. The Empire Theatre was opened on 14th November 1910. It had a 20 feet wide proscenium and a 14 feet deep stage. There were two dressing rooms. It was soon taken over by Northern Counties Electric Theatres Ltd, and went over to cinema use, renamed Empire Electric Palace. It was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system in 1929, and by this time it was operated by North East Coast Cinemas Ltd. owned by Sol Sheckman, which later became part of his Essoldo circuit.
The Empire Palace Cinema was closed by Essoldo and converted into a bingo club around 1967. In 2013, the building is in use as Speedo Car Parts. In 2015 there is a local group who aim to restore and re-opened the Empire Electric Palace.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.