Unit Four Cinemas
25 Bacup Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Picture House
Located in Rawtenstall, south of Burnley, Lancashire. The Picture House was opened on 29th December 1920 with “The River’s End” and “The Cruise of the Make Believes”. It has an attractive façade, faced in white terra cotta. Inside the auditorium seating was provided for 1,309 in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 30 feet wide. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. There was also an organ installed (possibly a ‘straight’ church type instrument).
In December 1960 it was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain, and they closed the Picture House in 1975. It was quickly taken over by the Unit Four Cinemas chain, and the cinema was split into 4-screens, seating 121, 118 & 165 & 118. It was re-named Unit Four Cinemas.
It was closed on 10th May 1984. It was reopened by an independent operator, but operating just one 121 seat screen and a snooker club. Two further changes of operator followed and it finally closed in early-1996.
The building was converted into an indoor market and a snooker club. In September 2013, there were plans to convert the building into a fast food outlet. By September 2018 the building was offered ‘For Sale’ as a nightclub or leisure opportunity. However in early-2020 plans were submitted to convert the building into 42 apartments.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.