38 Marshall Terrace,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: W.W. Turnbull
Previous Names: Crescent Cinema
Located in the Gilesgate Moor district to the east of Durham. The Crescent Cinema was opened on 14th March 1928. It was operated by William Wilfred Turnbull. All seating was on a single level. It was initially equipped with a L. Elect sound system around 1930. In January 1941 it was re-named Rex Cinema and a Gyrotone sound system was installed.
The Rex Cinema was closed in January 1958 screening two films from the early-1940’s;“Fall In” (1943 and “Eagle Squadron” (1942). The Kinematograph Yearbooks up to at least 1966 still listed it as open.
In recent years the building has been in use as D.J. Tool Hire, but they had moved out by April 2010 and the building was ‘For Sale or To Let’. It is now a laundrette, known as the Old Cinema Laundrette, which also has a cafe.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.