50 Rue de Malte,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Georges Gumpel
Previous Names: Cirque-Imperial, Theatre du Prince Imperial, Theatre du Chateau-d'Eau, Opera-Populaire, Theatre de la Republique, Alhambra-Maurice Chevalier
The Cirque Imperial was opened on August 11, 1866. It had many name changes over the years. In 1905 it was taken over by English music hall owner Thomas Barrasford and renamed Alhambra, offering music hall/variety with the addition of a Barrascope projector, used to screen films as part of the programme. It was a great success and it continued to operated with this type of programming for many years. It was later taken over by a new operator.
In 1931 it was converted into a full-time cinema named Alhambra-Malte. This was closed in 1956 and it became a live theatre again named Alhambra-Maurice Chevalier. It was demolished in 1967.
The building on the site today is a mix-use, with retail, a gymnasium, offices, apartments and car parking.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.