Mill Wharf Cinemas
1 Mill Wharf Plaza,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Lockwood & Gordon Enterprises
Previous Names: Scituate Playhouse & South Shore, Patriot Cinemas at The Mill Wharf Plaza
The Scituate Playhouse was an old big wooden theatre, beautiful inside with a sea-scape design. It was built in the late-1930’s with seating for 778. Before CinemaScope was intalled in 1954, it had a lighthouse on each side of the screen. The walls had hand painted floor to ceiling murals before the theatre was split into three in the 1970’s. It later gained a fourth screen.
The seats in front of the screen used to flood with a high tide and the harbor was right behind the screen. It was owned for many years by Lockwood & Gordon, then by Sonderling, followed by a couple of local chains. Torn down in 2003, it was replaced in 2004 by a huge condo complex and a new small twin movie theatre which was operated by Patriot Cinemas chain.
Patriot Cinemas at The Mill Wharf Plaza was reopened in summer of 2008 with “Shrek 2” and “Harry Potter 3”. Patriot Cinemas at The Mill Wharf Plaza was remodeled with the addition of stadium seating. It was taken over by South Shore Cinemas on January 1, 2011. It was closed in March 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.