Prince Music Theater

1412 Chestnut Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19102

RickB
RickB on October 29, 2014 at 3:31 am

Operating organization terminates lease and intends to dissolve; theater’s future uncertain again. Philly.com story here.

robtadrian
robtadrian on July 20, 2014 at 1:52 am

I remember coming here opening day to see National Lampoon’s Vacation. There was a blonde in a bikini standing outside the theater. Recently I’ve been to see the Totally Biased show with W. Kamau Bell. The TV show Hit Me Baby One More Time also filmed here

TheALAN
TheALAN on July 12, 2014 at 4:55 pm

What is that block called Mike, web sence? Maybe Cinema Treasures should use it. They seem to get plenty of stupid ass comments!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 31, 2013 at 8:23 am

In light of new movie Saving Mr. Banks, I asked Vince Young where Mary Poppins was shown in Center City Phila. & he replied as follows: It was the Christmas attraction at Philadelphia’s favorite theatre for musicals….the Midtown….and ran for months!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm

VEry glad the theater will remain in oepration. Would love to see them also show movies.

RickB
RickB on January 15, 2013 at 5:07 pm

The building has been sold to a group that has leased it back to the theater company. What exactly will be presented here in the future seems to be a bit up in the air. Philly.com has the story.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on May 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm

We have this block at work called web sence and it blocks the stupidest things.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

It opened for me, and sometimes, yes.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on May 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I did go there but work blocked it as a dangerous site. SIGH. Are they stillshowing movies Howard?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Open as you will see by clicking on the theater’s website found under Related Websites.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on May 31, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Is this theater still in oepration? I knew they filed for bankruptcy in 2010.

jackjs2swartz
jackjs2swartz on June 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

although I never assigned as a mgr or asst, mgr, athe the midtown most of the goldman asst. mgrs. worked the school shows when “Scrooge” starring Albert Finney was playing there for the Christmas holidays. ‘70 or '71 I am not quite sure of the dates any more. our major jobs were to push 800 children out the back exit doors while another group of mgrs pushed 800 more in the front doors.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on March 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

In between being Jacob Reed’s Men’s Store and Karlton Theatre, there was a Kugler’s Restaurant in the building, until at the latest late 1920, when the building was converted to the Karlton Theatre.

RickB
RickB on September 25, 2010 at 4:36 am

The financial woes continue as a film screening is almost canceled after the Prince’s electricity is shut off over unpaid bills; PECO eventually turns the juice back on. Story here.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm

To help pay the bills, the theater has announced a summer movie series: View link

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Love the Photo of “CATCH 22” wish it was a bit closer.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on June 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

I think it is great news that center city will have a theater showing movies again.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on May 12, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Here’s is a ad from June 1979, with “ROCKY II” playing at the Budco Midtown Theatre. The Midtown Theatre was not twinned yet as of June 1979.

andyp
andyp on February 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Great Photo of “Catch 22”. I worked as a usher there back in late 1968 to Fall of 1970. Anybody out there know what happpened to the managers – Norman Gordon and Bob Beck. Charlie Woods was there as a fill in for the managers on their days off.

Andy P

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 16, 2009 at 12:51 am

Here is an interior photo from the Irvin Glazer theater collection:

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on May 20, 2009 at 8:21 pm

From what I gather, Budco twinned the Midtown sometime after June 15, 1979, which was the day ROCKY II opened there. The Philadelphia Inquirer had the theatre listed that day as “Budco Midtown”

andyp
andyp on May 13, 2009 at 4:57 pm

TO: John Benson and Barry Goodkin: I worked as a usher at the Midtown in the late 60’s. Saw Oliver for ten months. When I started I was only 14 years old (had to be 16 to work), and when Mr. Gordon found out, he decided to keep me instead of firing me. I appreciated his kindness and knowledge of the movie business. The best theatre manager that I had the pleasure to work with. I spent my high school years 1968-1972, working at the Midtown (filled in at the Goldman and Randolph when they were short of ushers), also at the Milgram and Stage Door Cinema.

Andy P

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 6, 2009 at 7:05 am

Here’s some early 1950s history of films shown at the Midtown, from Box Office:
10 June 1950 Box Office “So Young, So Bad” given premiere on June 7th
10 May 1952 Box Office: Tony Curtis and Piper Laurie will greet people May 14 in the Midtown lobby when their film “No Room for the Groom” opens
8 Aug 1953 Box Office: Michener’s Return to Paradise" had eastern premiere at Midtown on 5 Aug

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 3, 2009 at 9:11 am

If you search exactly “BoxOffice March 3, 1951” page 108 has description with photos of renovated Midtown exterior & interior including auditorium facing screen.
Box Office 24 Nov 1951 BoxOffice page 123 has an ad, which at lower right has photos Midtown foyer’s leather doors & Ladies Powder room