AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 14, 2017 at 10:16 am

Its similar to watching a letterbox movie in standard definition aspect ratio.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on November 9, 2017 at 10:29 am

Mark – “pillarboxing” is when they put a flat image inside the ‘scope digital container on a DCP. Or it can refer to a theatre that has a scope screen and shows a flat film without bringing in side masking. Basically, the reverse of “letterboxing”.

markp
markp on November 9, 2017 at 8:03 am

I have a question. As an old time (41 years) projectionist, all I ever had to worry about was Flat (1.85) or Scope (2.25). What the heck is Pillarboxing? Must be a digital thing. Oh and btw, I hate these theatres with no masking.

digital3d
digital3d on November 9, 2017 at 4:31 am

He is saying that the Empire 25 should replace their old seats with new recliner seats. Which they should. E-Walk and Kips Bay and a bunch of other theaters have done so already.

Regarding lack of masking: It’s not just an AMC issue. I’ve had the same issue with Regal and local theaters. I’m not sure if there is any theater out there which always masks. AMC 84th Street seems to mask and they have recliner seats. But their admission is also more expensive and I’m not sure if they always mask.

Even fancy theaters like AMC Lincoln Square sometimes don’t mask. It’s an issue which theaters don’t seem to really care about but should. Pillarboxing can take you fully out of a movie.

I’d recommend checking out which auditorium a movie is playing in online and making sure that you catch a scope movie on a scope screen and a flat movie on a flat screen. If you’re not sure try their (AMCs) facebook messaging service as it’s been pretty responsive.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 8, 2017 at 8:16 pm

ridethectrain, can you please try English. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your last four posts.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on November 8, 2017 at 7:34 pm

The Empire needs recliners in all auditoriums. Just at E-Walk see are more comfortable than the early 2000 AMC seats. If they playdate, E-Walk wins except Dolby Cinema or IMAX.

AMC hasn’t yet replace the seats since 2000.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on November 8, 2017 at 10:02 am

Not sure that really relates to this theater, as aside from the IMAX and Dolby Cinema (formats which never use masking), all the screens I’ve seen here use masking for at least flat and scope.

Aside from some technical issues for certain showings, the one AMC nearby I’m aware of that has abandoned masking is Kips Bay, which did so when they upgraded their seating to recliners (obviously you would prefer they use masking for all, but I can tolerate letterboxing, but when they use pillarboxing on their scope screens it definitely looks kinda ugly to me)

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 7, 2017 at 9:30 am

truenorthstrongnfree
truenorthstrongnfree on November 7, 2017 at 9:17 am

It was raining on our last night in NYC, and my wife and I didn’t want to spend it in our hotel room, so we braved the rain and headed to Times Square to catch a movie. We had reserved seats, so there was no rush. When we got to the AMC Empire 25, someone was in our seats. They said they had bought the same seats, but moved because the theatre was empty. A few minutes later, someone came in and told them they had purchased the seats they were sitting in, they gave the same excuse and moved. When it happened a third time, they up and left. Who is preventing people from paying to see one movie, then spending the rest of the day hopping from cinema to cinema? No security here.

During the film, the man next to me insisted on checking through his Facebook posts every ten minutes or so, and the people behind me kept having to update one another on the plot of the movie.

I honestly feel that the convenience of being able to stream virtually anything one wishes to watch has killed the respect people once had for the cinema.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 25, 2017 at 10:33 am

How about the imax does that have bed bugs?

JB1981
JB1981 on October 13, 2017 at 8:53 am

By the way how is the Dolby auditorium there? Only other Dolby Cinema I’ve been to is the one in Eatontown NJ and it’s nice but it’s plagued by the red lights casing a red haze at the corners of the screen. The image quality is spectacular otherwise.

JB1981
JB1981 on October 13, 2017 at 8:51 am

Yea I’m not worried about this to be honest.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 12, 2017 at 6:36 pm

More updates to this false story and the false petition it spurned. http://gothamist.com/2017/10/12/bed_bugs_movies_nyc.php

digital3d
digital3d on October 12, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Some updates, plus instructions on how to be safe when going here: http://gothamist.com/2017/10/12/bed_bugs_movies_nyc.php

digital3d
digital3d on October 12, 2017 at 8:18 am

Yes, but the Dolby auditorium is very new with new leather recliner seats so that one might be fine.

Enjoy the movie!

JB1981
JB1981 on October 12, 2017 at 6:19 am

Just got tickets here for the The Last Jedi double feature event on 12/14 in Dolby Cinema. I have never been to this theater before. Are you telling me I need to worry about possible bed bugs?

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Bedbugregistry is not official, it’s a site just like yelp or facebook where there were plenty of incidents reported after 2012.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 8:22 pm

There has been one single official incident reported against this theatre in 2012. None before or after.

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 6:53 pm

I have gone through the comments. Couldn’t find a single one like you’re describing. Can you screenshot one?

BTW I checked images on google review and there are multiple carpets around the theater.

I am happy you never experienced it but that doesn’t mean that others haven’t.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 6:45 pm

You are going to have to scroll her FB feed. I have no idea how you link an individual post, but there are several making fun of her. I go to this theatre often and although they have many other problems, I have never seen or experienced bugs of any kind.

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Because there are so many reports that there is little to no doubt. Also I want to be able to go there. It’s a beautiful building with 25 different auditoriums. I want to be able to go and check out a film there.

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Who is? Please link me to even a single comment “calling her post BS”

We can both go and check AMC Empire 25. I am pretty sure that that is their carpet. For example the dolbly auditorium there has a different carpet than others. Plus there isba video attached where you can hear the movie playing.

And no, I know plenty of theaters that have 0 bed bug complains on yelp.

No, I didn’t. Other people reported bed bugs at the 34th st one.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 5:48 pm

By the way, why would you start petitions against a business based on hearsay instead of personal experience?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I am pretty each auditorium does not have different carpeting. AMC their carpets custom made and buys them in bulk. If you check ‘yelp!’ you will find almost every theatre and hotel in NYC has a bed bug complaint. You yourself started the rumors about AMC 34th Street. The boyfriend (husband, actually)gave her the photos so is not sure where he was. Also, after discovering the bites, he went back and finished watching the movie. Even her friends on FB are calling her post BS.

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 5:12 pm

She isn’t the only one. It’s masses of people. Time and time again. BTW I’m pretty sure each auditorium has different carpets. So they can very well be from AMC Empire 25.

It could have happened to both. Her boyfriend gave the photos to her. There is even a video from the auditorium!

Name me one other theater that has been consistently for 7 years been gettings bed bug complain after bed bug complain?