Paris Theatre

4 West 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

rivest266
rivest266 on September 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

13 septembre 1948 Grand-annonce d'ouverture a été transféré dans la section photo pour ce cinéma.

September 13th, 1948 grand opening ad has been uploaded in the photo section for this cinema.

smk682
smk682 on October 10, 2012 at 11:06 am

Saw “Romeo and Juliet” in the late “60’s at The Paris…it played for about two years there, I believe, and my friends and I took the opportunity to go see it several times.

As for the Williamsburg flick, it played in the red theater and the blue theater at the visitors center. Jack Lord was the Patriot John Fry.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 21, 2012 at 6:31 am

Hey moviebuff82… The landmark installation of “Williamsburg: the Portrait of a Patriot,” which has been shown daily to vistors at Colonial Williamsburg, VA, for the past 55 years, was actually shot on horizontal 35mm VistaVision. It was eventually printed on 70mm film when the original negative was restored in the early 2000’s.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm

The last 70mm non-imax film that i saw at a theater was a documentary about Williamsburg made in 1957 that lacks the opening and closing credits of the 35mm version. That version is the longest running 70mm film ever. As for the Paris, it’s NYC’s version of Cinema Paradiso.

Amber J. Michaud
Amber J. Michaud on May 12, 2012 at 6:55 am

This would be the best place to look out for when I am ever interested in watching a French film.

markp
markp on February 13, 2012 at 8:14 am

Its too bad we will never see 70mm again, now that all movies (I cant call them FILMS if they are digital) are going digital. The last film I personally projected in 70mm was in 1989, “The Abyss”

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I enjoyed Hamlet in 70mm at the Paris. It was the 2nd to last “new” (not classic or restored classic) 70mm film (filmed that way or blow up) that I saw. “Titantic” a couple years later was the last.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on January 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm

yes, I’m an early bird. I’ve reported my share of spam on here. However one grows tired seeing inane posts in certain theaters where when thats all that they have to say when clearly below it says “stay on topic”

I’ve found many other interesting blogs with great information and none of the drivel.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm

HDTV, an early showing! As I’m listed in the credits, I’m kind of an official volunteer here. If you see outright “spam” email me directly so I will have it removed. There are trivial postings, can’t help that, but this website has more interesting postings than many other blogs.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on January 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm

@Howard. I was at the 10:30 am showing. Forgive how long its been for my reply. I’ve not been spending much time on this site lately. Since the change over, its gone a bit downhill, certain theaters still have drivel posted to them, so Id rather not waste my time.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

As was blogged by the Paris on its Facebook site, a recent compliment from an acrtress-

“We’re here at the Paris Theatre, which is such a romantic, old-fashioned theater. This felt like a very appropriate dress,” actress Jessica Chastain said at Tuesday night’s New York premiere of Coriolanus as she smoothed the tissue-thin lace overlay of her floor-skimming Monique Lhuillier look. “ http://www.vogue.com/parties/the-new-york-premiere-of-coriolanus/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=Fashion+Instant

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I was at the 2:45 PM showing yesterday! Which showing were you at? Tonight, ABC TV news showed “The Artist” on the Paris marquee in a story about the film.

marcystarnes
marcystarnes on October 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I remember The Paris, the Festival and Ziegfeld Theaters well. Theaters use masking, not curtains to property frame the image on the screen.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Plaza http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/6138

BRADE48
BRADE48 on June 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Was there a theatre in the same area at one time called the Plaza? I remember seeing ‘ROUND MIDNIGHT in '86 at a theatre near the Paris which was showing A ROOM WITH A VIEW at the same time.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 24, 2010 at 1:18 pm

In November, 1952, the Paris shared the world premiere engagement of Samuel Goldwyn’s “Hans Christian Andersen” with the Criterion: /theaters/528/

edblank
edblank on October 17, 2010 at 10:54 am

In Pittsburgh, as in Manhattan, “The Trouble With Harry” played its first-run engagement in the city’s most prominent art house, the Squirrel Hill. Being a Hitchcock film, “Harry” did move on to neighborhood engagements, most often shoring up a different, but also same-time, Paramount release, “Anything Goes.”

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on October 17, 2010 at 7:24 am

Today marks the 55th anniversary of the opening at the Paris Theatre of the NYC premiere engagement of Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Trouble With Harry,” a “black comedy” with a cast of veteran character stars and newcomer Shirley MacLaine. The movie’s chief selling points were a corpse that never stayed buried for long and VistaVision-Technicolor photography of Vermont’s autumnal glories. The Paramount release proved a boxoffice disappointment and ended up as a second feature when eent to NYC neighborhood theatres via the Loew’s circuit. Topping the bill was the Dean Martin-Jerry Lewis VistaVision-Technicolor hit, “Artists and Models,” which also just happened to have Shirley MacLaine in a leading role.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 4, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Over 60 years and still going,thats great.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on June 18, 2010 at 8:42 am

In a rare and welcome move, today’s NYT ad promotes the Paris over the movie.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

I went to a movie at the Festival. Curtains are used sometimes at the Ziegfeld, as you know, Mike, though not all the time. Both are wonderful theaters.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on June 16, 2010 at 10:48 am

I am really glad to hear this Howard. As many years as Ilived inNYC I never went to the Paris. I used to work arounf the corner at the Festival. It’s nice to know they still use curtains. I don’t understand why Clearview can’t do that with the Ziegfeld.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 6, 2010 at 7:56 am

I’m sure the Paris is doing as well.

Yesterday, I was pleased to see that employees were not wearing City Cinema T shirts as I had seen months ago but were now once again elegantly attired. Usher who took ticket stubs wore white shirt, black vest, black pants.

I’m not happy with small popcorn now costing $6.50 and small soda now costing $4.50, skipping both. I enjoyed popcorn & sode before City Cinemas tookover, when it was more reasonably priced than many other places.

Projection, sound, use of curtains, enjoying movie from the balcony, wonderful graphics for the movie “Agora” on the marquee, all ensured that the Paris continues to be one of the nation’s flagship arthouses.

“Coco & Igor” starts Friday for almost a 2 month run, and will surely be a popular hit here.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on May 27, 2010 at 10:42 am

Is this theater doing as good as it used to since City Cinemas took it over?