Sutton Theater

New York, NY 10022

darrenparlett
darrenparlett on August 9, 2013 at 4:02 am

haha I love THE NUDE BOMB

Garth
Garth on August 9, 2013 at 2:09 am

Al you are the Guru of Manhattan theatres, thank you.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

“The Nude Bomb” opened at the Gemini in 1980.

Garth
Garth on August 8, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Looking for some help. Does anyone know if the Get Smart movie “The Nude Bomb” premiered here in 1979? I’m pretty sure I was at the Sutton once , and this is one of the few films where I don’t recall which Manhattan theatre I saw it in. I tried the NY Times review archive but couldn’t come up with anything.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on June 10, 2013 at 9:52 am

exactly Ed, thanks. I saw the footage in a Marx Brothers documentary wish I could have been there. But “settled” for seeing Duck Soup and Night at the Opera at my beloved Castro Theatre

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Let’s not forget the exclusive engagement of newly restored and reissued Marx Brothers classic, “Animal Crackers” in 1974 or so.

SethLewis
SethLewis on June 8, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sicilian Clan, The 3 Stooges Review,Network,Cuckoo’s Nest, Young Frankenstein, High Anxiety gives you some indication of the quality of the bookings this theatre got in first run

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on April 26, 2013 at 12:46 am

This was a small issue at the Sutton as it didn’t even have a concession stand until the eighties.

DavidDymond
DavidDymond on April 26, 2013 at 12:28 am

Back in the 60’s — the theatre owners DID NOT clean the theatres that is why they could schedule manymore showings than today!!

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on April 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm

THU25APR2013 There’s a shot of the Sutton towards the end of “The Devil’s Advocate” (to be precise, it’s 1 hour 56 minutes into the film).

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Hello to AL A.–

you certainly make a good point in your last e-mail. i’m sure for sometime after it opened at the Loew’s Capitol many screenings of the original 1968 “Plane of the Apes” especially showings on Fri.,Sat. and Sun. were close to sold out if not sold out. this relates to the point in your last e-mail~ i always wondered how the staff of the Capitol got the old audience out, cleaned the theater then got the new audience in before the next screening all in 18mins.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on October 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

In many cases, no one cleaned between shows. Audiences were also more conscientious and drink/popcorn portions were smaller, so there was less waste.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm

to AL A.–

thanks for your reply to my post. interesting way of looking at the scheduling of showings.

now the lack of a concession stand in smaller art houses could certainly have accommodated faster turnover hence more showings a day. but the policy was also used in the larger movie theaters in the Times Square area. for instance on the photos page for the Loew’s Capitol there is a newspaper ad for premiere engagement of the original “Planet of the Apes” from 1968. the film is say 1hr.42mins? and the ad states the showings were scheduled every two hours starting at 10a.m.

also when “The Godfather” opened March of 1972 at the Loew’s State I and II is was scheduled every three hours and the film had a running time of 2hrs.50mins.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on October 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm

These small theatres had no concession stand in 1955, so turnaround was easy.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 12, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Hello-

in the photos section i was looking at the newspaper ads for “Marty” when it first opened in 1955. i noticed something quite interesting. nowadays theater owners or exhibitors to use the correct trade term seem to schedule an inordinately large amount of times between the showings of a film. thereby getting fewer shows a day. whereas in the “Marty” ads from 1955 it appears the manager of the Sutton scheduled showings of the film with as little time between showings as he figured the staff could get he old audience out and the new audience in.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hey CAptblood was The Blue Max a roadshow engagement?

captblood
captblood on October 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm

This was a most Beautiful theatre! I worked there when it was managed by Rugoff Theatres (c. 1966 –‘67) and again later when it was managed by Cinema V (1970s). There was a long run of the film “The Blue Max”. We had a great crew of young people. As an Usher I spoke with Zal from the Lovin’ Spoonful and the artist who did the Archie Comic in the newspaper. There is no permanence in the United States. The only value is MONEY. Not Tradition. Not History. Not beauty. I guess if they could tear down beautiful and awe inspiring Penn Station why not the Sutton? It was an intregral part of the East Side with a select clientelle. What a SHAME!!!!!!!!

SeaBassTian
SeaBassTian on September 4, 2012 at 2:35 am

By the time I caught Queen of the Damned there in ‘02, the theater had slipped into a bit of disarray, sloppy housekeeping, disrespectful patrons, etc. My companion looked at me and said “Sutton Place has changed, no?”

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Featured in this 1967 trade ad: Boxoffice

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hello-

does anyone know if the Sutton had any
exclusive roadshow engagements other than
“The Blue Max”?

NYer
NYer on April 12, 2012 at 1:19 am

And at 95 Ernest Borgnine is still going strong. I got to meet just a few years ago and I was thrilled he signed my “Marty” DVD.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Fifty-seven years ago today, the movie version of Paddy Chayefsky’s acclaimed TV play, “Marty,” opened its world premiere engagement at the Sutton Theatre, where it had a record-breaking run of 39 weeks and helped to establish that area of East Side Manhattan as a movie-going destination for residents of other boroughs. The Hecht-Hill-Lancaster production for United Artists release went on to win Academy Awards for best picture, leading actor Ernest Borgnine, director Delbert Mann, and scripter Chayefsky.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on October 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Status needs to be changed to “demolished,” and totally!

PassedPawn
PassedPawn on October 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

Only saw one flick here as the Sutton was a bit out of my way, Bladerunner, June ‘82.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 31, 2011 at 3:52 am

“The Blue Max” was a two shows a day Roadshow at the Sutton.