Whitman Theatre

160 Walt Whitman Road,
Huntington Station, NY 11746

robboehm
robboehm on May 25, 2016 at 8:19 pm

It wasn’t narrow but it was quite long. I remember standing in the back talking to the manager.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 25, 2016 at 8:04 pm

It did seem wide…

robboehm
robboehm on May 25, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Mike, in my opinion the theater was long, not square.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 25, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Saw my first James Bond movie here — Live and Let Die — and have been a lifelong fan ever since. My sweetheart and I (ah, young love) took the HART bus from Northport, and I had no idea what to expect. In a word, wow! I remember the theater was big and square, with no balcony, but I did return here many times in the ensuing years.

robboehm
robboehm on May 25, 2016 at 11:49 am

I never actually attended a performance there but, just by chance happened to see the interior. I was eating dinner at a restaurant across from the mall and noted that a movie I wished to see was on the big sign board. When I went over I found out that the movie playing was not the one on the sign. The manager explained to me that this was the last day of operation. They hadn’t even bothered to change the signage. By that time the concession stand had also been disassembled. Talk about running a place into the ground.

robboehm
robboehm on April 15, 2016 at 7:19 am

Amazing. Theater closed in 2002. And the sign was never vandalized.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I passed here yesterday and was sad to see the sign was finally gone

robboehm
robboehm on February 18, 2015 at 5:56 am

I’ll have to check that out when I’m in the area tonight. It was still around at Christmastime.

Bloop
Bloop on February 17, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I think the pylon is now gone! (Feb. 20015)

robboehm
robboehm on February 6, 2015 at 5:24 am

Of the former Century circuit few of the original buildings remain as theaters, if, at all. As larry indicated, the Franklin. Also the Fantasy and Lynbrook (which was a leased property and due to be demolished for a newer theater) and the Meadows. The Shore location now houses the new Shore.

larry6803
larry6803 on February 5, 2015 at 8:54 pm

I was a Manager for Century Theatres in the late 70’s and 80’s.Even back then the big money making houses were their pride.This continued when They became part of Cineplex Odeon.Now that AMC took this over all the smaller grossing houses have closed or been remodeled.Some like The Franklin cinema in Franklin Square are still there but with different owners.

robboehm
robboehm on May 21, 2014 at 10:57 am

Are you sure about that Orlando? I thought some of the original structure was retained.

Orlando
Orlando on May 21, 2014 at 8:22 am

The Whitman Theatre was completely demolished for whatever restaurants that are on the site now. The listing should have been changed (about 9 years ago) from “Closed” to “Demolished”. The pylon remains and is about 51 years old. Keep it quiet or else mall property owners might take it down. It’s a rare marker that should remain in it’s out of the way location. The pylon is famous for its “BOMB IRAN” message on Route 110 when someone re-arranged the pylon letters one night. Newsday carried the photo to the chagrin of Century Circuit executives.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 24, 2014 at 5:55 am

I thought legal Seafood was in the d Beafstake Charlie’s. ?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Isn’t this site now partly occupied by Legal Seafood restaurant? One dead, several injured after a carbon monoxide leak in the basement.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 24, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Nice 2013 the Pylon lives on. !

robboehm
robboehm on September 5, 2013 at 9:45 am

Pylon stills survives untouched.

NYer
NYer on May 4, 2013 at 3:38 pm

August 25 1966 Adam West & Burt Ward star in the feature version of “Batman” with special live appearance of Batman & Robin!

SUFFOLK HISTORIC NEWSPAPERS has years of digital back issues of The Long Islander, a local newspaper with weekly movie ads included.

robboehm
robboehm on May 4, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Century had obviously unloaded a number of theatres because when it reopened the Bellerose sometime in the late 30s or early 40s that was the 37th. Go to the Bellerose site for particulars.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on May 2, 2013 at 11:46 pm

They more I think about it this was one of my least favorite Century theatres as it lack soul ..

robboehm
robboehm on October 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm

And what happened to those masks? A number of the later, smaller shopping center theatres had them. If I remember correctly, the Glen Oaks, York and Whitman for sure. Don’t remember the Morton Village and was never in the Park East or Five Towns.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 3, 2012 at 11:37 am

The York had the masks also and they had sensurround.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hey Bloop! Good to see you still posting here. How’s your newletter?

robboehm
robboehm on January 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Not the only Century to have them. Wonder what became of them.

Bloop
Bloop on January 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I so remember the big iron comedy / tragedy wall sculptures on the inside of the theater. As kids, while waiting for the movie to start, we would ponder “Geez, imagine if they fell off the wall onto the packed house?” Thankfully , no Sensurround movies ever played there.