United Palace of Cultural Arts

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 12, 2015 at 11:14 am

markp, unfortunately not, but I believe they sell the video on the tv stations website. Perhaps someone has that clip and can post it for us on youtube. The only tour show I recorded was when the played the Wurlitzer organ at the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre.

markp
markp on February 12, 2015 at 11:04 am

theatrefan, is there any link to that show on youtube or somewhere else?

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 12, 2015 at 10:27 am

In the 1999 WNET-TV channel 13 Special A Walk Up Broadway with David Hartman and Historian Barry Lewis, the visit the 175th Street, go into the original projection room & fire up the old projection equipment & of course everything still worked, exactly like it did way back in 1969, when it was a Loew’s House. They don’t make stuff like they used to anymore.

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 11, 2015 at 10:17 am

Was here on Sunday for “The Sweet Smell Of Success”, this theatre is very similar to the Landmark (Loew’s State) in Syracuse NY. It is maintained in meticulous condition & truly a stunning sight to behold. I encourage everyone to can to try to make it up to see this Wonder theatre, it’s well worth the trip! Also on February 22nd it will be 85 years old! Happy Birthday United Palace!

Bway
Bway on January 8, 2015 at 12:25 pm

The theater is now called United Palace of Cultural Arts, and should probably be changed in the main heading above:

Lou_Lumenick
Lou_Lumenick on January 8, 2015 at 8:50 am

I will be hosting a free screening of “Moonstruck'‘ at the United Palace with my special guest, author Farran Nehme ("Missing Reels’‘) at 5 p.m. this Sunday (Jan. 11). If you can’t make that, I’ll be back with free screenings of "Sweet Smell of Success’‘ (with James Wolcott of Vanity Fair, Feb. 8) and "Rear Window’‘ on March 8. You’re all invited!

More info: http://unitedpalace.org/upca

robboehm
robboehm on February 14, 2014 at 11:53 am

Loew’s 175 Street opened on February 22, 1930 (in those days the George Washington National Holiday). It was the last of the “wonder theatres” in the NY-NJ area; preceded by the Valencia, Paradise, Kings and Jersey City. See opening ad in the photos section.

LuisV
LuisV on November 18, 2013 at 10:12 am

I went to the showing of Casablanca last night and it was a roaring success. Announced attendance was over 1,100 people! They had to open the balcony to handle the crowd. A large number of people came in Black Tie and Gowns in the spirit of Rick’s Cafe (and the free admission to those who did). The theater is spectacular! They announced that regularly scheduled classics would begin in 2014 with curating help from Lin Manuel Miranda, the genius behind the amazing “In The Heights!” The fist series will be films which highlight New York and the first one to be shown will be “The Muppets Take Manhattan!”

markp
markp on November 16, 2013 at 5:41 am

Thanks much AlAverez. As luck would have it I am now working, but have made a note of how to get there in the future. Thanks again.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Markp, take the “A"or the "C” train from the Port authority NORTH to 168th street and then walk up to 176th Street on Broadway.

markp
markp on November 14, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Hello. Perhaps LuisV or someone can help me. I am hoping to make it there Sunday. The only thing that would stand in my way is work. My question is, Im coming from Jersey. I would be taking a bus to the port authority. From there (besides taxi) how would I get there? I really do not want to drive into the city. Any help greatly appreciated.

kidblast
kidblast on November 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Tinseltoes: Please, picky, picky, picky ….

kidblast
kidblast on November 12, 2013 at 7:47 am

If only a handful of Facebook.com users attend it should be very, very crowded on November 17th!

Bway
Bway on October 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I sure would like to try, but not sure.. I am kicking myself for not going to the Ridgewood theater some years ago when there was a group of people here going. No one would have thought it would have closed soon after. Casablanca, It’s a good choice of movie too. A shame Star Wars or Wizard of Oz, the first two choices weren’t possible due to licensing, as I can see how those would have been the first two choices. Casablanca is a good third choice though….it’s also a classic.

LuisV
LuisV on October 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Bway, will you be attending? I plan on being there. I’ve posted it on facebook and have told many of my friends and neighbors. My teenage nephews want to go as they have NEVER seen a movie in a theater that wasn’t muti-plexed. I can’t wait to see thier faces when they see this theater! It’s so exciting!

Bway
Bway on October 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm

EVEN better, isn’t it wonderful to see a status change on the page above!!!! OPEN (Showing Movies)!!!!!! How often do we see it change that way instead of the other way!!!

Bway
Bway on October 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Wow….is all I can say. For all the depressing news we usually hear on these theater pages of demolitions, conversions, etc, isn’t it nice to actually have something like this happen to a theater.

LuisV
LuisV on October 16, 2013 at 7:55 am

It worked! YAY!

LuisV
LuisV on October 16, 2013 at 7:27 am

Film returns to the 175th Street Theatre! Sunday, November 17th at 6:00 PM with Casablanca on the bill! I will be there!

jgraif
jgraif on August 24, 2013 at 12:27 am

here is what i know. reverend ike completely restored the theater down to the last seat and the organ in the late 1960’s. it was featured in the 1970 atos convention. after that, i attended several concerts and played the organ several times. my understanding is that the organ was to be used in the production of a music video in the early 1990’s. the heat of the spotlights melted the stop tablets. to this day, the money has not been available to repair and restore the instrument. can anyone confirm or deny?

RickB
RickB on August 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Posting an URL on this site does not automatically make it a clickable link. Here is the page that tells how to add links.

Here is a link to the Real Deal article.

markp
markp on August 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

LuisV, I asked on the Loews Kings page, and I’ll ask here, why is it that I click on the link and nothing happens?? Is it something Im doing wrong?

LuisV
LuisV on August 22, 2013 at 8:19 am

The United Palace getting a lot of press today in the Wall Street Journal, Curbed and The Real Deal as the prepare to return this grandest of palaces to showing films once again! So Excited!