Astor Theatre

1531 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 8, 2017 at 5:13 am

I now see the picture I was referring to was posted March 3rd.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 23, 2017 at 2:25 pm

You may already know, or find it interesting that the late Oliver Reed was within a sliver of becoming Bond when George Lazenby got the role. But the Broccoli family didn’t feel they had the time or resources to combat Reed’s already growing public drinking image.

paul baar
paul baar on June 23, 2017 at 9:25 am

DavidZornig,thanks a lot;once I saw the first James Bond movie I was Bonded for life.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 23, 2017 at 9:12 am

This YouTube link has “Goldfinger” premiere footage from both the Odeon in the UK and the DeMille.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 23, 2017 at 9:08 am

The Demille became the Embassy 1,2,3.

paul baar
paul baar on June 23, 2017 at 8:49 am

coate, can you tell me under what listing The De mille theater is under,that,s were Goldfinger(1964)opened.

Coate
Coate on June 13, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Fifty years ago today the James Bond movie “You Only Live Twice” opened here (and at Baronet, Orpheum and Victoria). And here’s the link to a new 50th anniversary retrospective article on the movie.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 12, 2017 at 5:01 pm

I only wish I knew how to post photos.

Just came across a nice one by Joel Meyerowitz of a couple kissing underneath the marquee of Kiss Me Stupid. A terrific movie by the way which I caught up with at FF.

Love the way the couples in Times Square are so nicely dressed. Boy that had changed in 5 years.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on June 10, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I didn’t know it was run by Walter Reade theaters. I assumed it was run by Guild theaters

NYer
NYer on June 9, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Closing notice in photo section.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 9, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Hello-

I am trying to find out exactly what the “maintainence problems” were that apparently lead to the closing of the theater.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on June 9, 2017 at 9:45 am

The very first time I went to NYC which was 1974 the Astor was a flea market. I thin the last film to play there was The French Connection. The screen was still intact at that time

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 9, 2017 at 6:13 am

Sorry, now I see NYer’s response.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 9, 2017 at 5:46 am

I seem to remember the actual theater itself being turned into a flea market at sometime during the 70s. Unfortunately didn’t go to a movie here because at that point it was for the most part playing the kind of exploitation films I had no interest in. Same with the Demille before it became a triplex. I was waiting for it to play another of the kind of films I had just missed; Hawaii, Shoes of the Fisherman, Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines…

By the way if you go through all the photos for the Astor or Victoria I believe the James Bond photo is there. I know I’ve seen it.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 22, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Hello-

a year ago I asked a question as to what exactly were the “maintenance problems” referred to in the intro at top as the reason for the theater’s closing. I went to the theater on a regular enough basis and don’t remember it being in any worse shape than the other 1st run Times Square houses. so what exactly were said “maintenance problems”?

paul baar
paul baar on May 22, 2017 at 7:04 am

NYer, THANKS ALOT!

NYer
NYer on May 22, 2017 at 6:33 am

Paul baar, each theater has a photo section. Next to the comments tab there is a photo tab. The photo is on page 10.

paul baar
paul baar on May 22, 2017 at 6:13 am

DOES ANYBODY HAVE PHOTOS OF THE “1966” BILLBOARD ABOVE THE ASTOR THEATER SHOWING THE COMING OF JAMES BOND MOVIE"YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE".IT WAS SPECTACULAR,I WENT TO SEE A MOVIE ACROSS THE STREET"THE BIBLE IN THE BEGINNING"BUT I WAS IN MORE AWE OF JAMES BOND.THE MOVIE WAS NOT RELEASED UNTIL “1967”.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on March 3, 2017 at 12:44 pm

1965 photo added, credit Joel Meyerowitz.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on January 10, 2017 at 7:49 pm

1916 photo added courtesy of Kimberly Davis.

NYer
NYer on November 22, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Comfortably Cool (great ads, truly appreciated, thanks!) and I have posted various ads where genuine Oscar winning movie stars would jump in a car and spend opening weekends touring theaters that have opened their picture. Way before my time, but I would have been there front row and center.

Who would expect to meet Shirley MacLaine at a Drive-in in upstate NY on Thanksgiving night? (ad in photo section) Or have Bob Hope and Lucille Ball show up at my neighborhood theater on Saturday night? Has anyone have any stories, or experience, or maybe their parents stories with these personal appearances?

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on July 5, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Architect John J. McNamara handled the 1959 modernization. Some interior shots are in photos from the December 17, 1959 reboot of the Astor.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 24, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Hello to Ed S.–

you have been most helpful in the past so i am a new question. in the intro at top it states that the Astor closed down as a movie theater due to “maintenance problems”. what exactly were said problems?

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on May 5, 2016 at 4:52 pm

1947 photo added courtesy of the Hemmings Motor News Facebook page.