Radio City Music Hall

1260 6th Avenue,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 1 - 25 of 3,174 comments

markp
markp on November 10, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Saw it last night. Awesome as always

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on November 10, 2017 at 10:03 am

The 2017 “Christmas Spectacular” opens today and runs through New Year’s Day (January 1st, 2018). Here’s a video of highlights from the 2016 presentation

vindanpar
vindanpar on October 31, 2017 at 8:54 pm

This is the exact same problem the Music Hall had when it opened in ‘32. Nobody was interested in the stage show or the Roxyettes. It was a huge fiasco from which Roxy never recovered.

They had to add movies. And as was noted by Variety at the time crowds varied according to the popularity of the movie. Of course the stage show was a big plus and made going to see the film at the Hall an incentive but without a popular film the Hall had acres of empty seats.

And at todays prices it is ludicrous to think anybody outside of a big musical concert star is going to get people into the place.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on October 28, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Future “Rockettes Spectaculars” beyond the annual Christmas season productions have been put on hold, according to a lengthy article published in The New York Times this week. Details here

vindanpar
vindanpar on October 18, 2017 at 7:48 am

As per How To Succeed ad NYer just posted'Coffee Break' filmed but cut and lost.

Stereo track also lost which is most unfortunate because what you hear of it on soundtrack album is terrific. So no stereo first run prints were saved. If anything has been found since I was told this years ago let me know.

vindanpar
vindanpar on October 13, 2017 at 8:13 am

Harry and Walter ended exclusive area bookings at the Hall. An old time cashier said that was it the place was over. She went back quite a ways. I asked her if she ever thought the place would come to this(hardly any audience, pathetic stage shows) and she said never.

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 18, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Bullitt was in terms of its violence and gore a ‘freaky’ movie for the Hall especially as a Thanksgiving film. It doesn’t help that the plot if there is any is impossible to follow. They just cut out ‘bullshit’ for the theater which was put right back in after this engagement.

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 12, 2017 at 7:14 am

Barefoot is still a very funny film. Fonda and Redford are one of the best looking romantic couples ever in the movies. Maybe the last bright Technicolor New York comedy before they became gritty.

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 29, 2017 at 3:23 pm

NYer posted two Airport ads.

Did that last of its kind Ross Hunter glossy Hollywood production ever look great in the Music Hall. The kind of film the Music Hall was meant to play rather than the blown up made for TV looking films it would show through much of the 70s.

Though there are those who question the idea of the Music Hall showing a disaster film for Easter.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 26, 2017 at 9:48 am

Yes, “Magnascope” (or equivalent) was used to increase screen size for the spectacular animal stampede sequence in “King Solomon’s Mines.” Another usage was for the train wreck in “The Greatest Show on Earth.” RCMH did not advertise or promote this “gimmick,” so a full list of films would be difficult to compile.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 25, 2017 at 9:18 pm

No Dolby Atmos installed.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 25, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Has Dolby Atmos been installed at this theater? They should put in recliners.

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 25, 2017 at 7:59 pm

As per CC’s posting of King Solomon’s Mines I believe I read once on here the magnascope screen was used for the stampede.

There should be a list of movies that used the screen and for which sequences. But I guess no one at this point would remember or that any record was kept.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 21, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Cheapest seats for that performance are $142 each in a side section of the third mezzanine.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 21, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Just checked their website for box office prices for the 4:30 pm performance of “Christmas Spectacular 2017” on December 22nd. All center orchestra seats in rows AA-W are priced at $583.00 each! Lowest price after that is $387.00 each for the center of the first mezzanine, rows A-L.

kong1911
kong1911 on August 21, 2017 at 10:25 am

The first Christmas show I ever saw at RCMH was in 1958. I was taking accordion lessons for only 2 months. In the stage show presentation Santa came out on stage playing the accordion. I turned to my mother and said that someday I’d do that. It took 34 years but I did perform on stage on keyboards in a show there and mom was in the audience. I am now curator of the Wurlitzer Organ at the old Brooklyn Paramount and one thing I’d like to do is play the 4/58 Wurlitzer at RCMH.

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 24, 2017 at 6:46 am

I wonder why we don’t have dancing accordionists any more. I bet he alone was worth the 99 cents.

hanksykes
hanksykes on July 22, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Hello vindanpar, Don’t know if this will help, but Leon Leonidoff became a senior producer in 1934 so maybe an Easter production was his idea, then of course Roxy also had an Easter pageant in 1933, so who knows?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 21, 2017 at 10:14 pm

hans zimmer is performing here next week.

Tom06355
Tom06355 on July 21, 2017 at 3:30 pm

I sat in the balcony below the booth and enjoyed What’s Up Doc. The matinee was full and The Whole crowed laughed so hard our side hurt.

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 7, 2017 at 2:38 pm

CC posted the Robin and Marian ad.

Probably the dreariest Easter show ever. Another what were they thinking film. Not that the Music Hall had much of a choice. Hepburn said, I could have done without the rotten apples at the end.'

Considering the seemingly endless acres of empty seats at every performance audiences could do without the film.

And what was truly astounding was that the stage show was in Black and white! An Easter show in black and white! It’s like everyone at the Hall had it in for the place.

I saw every Glory of Easter I could because it was so beautiful and the only thing that held on to what was great about the theater. When it was revived after the stage and screen show era they must have lost the original lighting charts because the lighting was pretty much lights on lights off. The lighting of the original which they kept through the 70s was gorgeous.

It was also I believe the last Easter show to have the religious icons on the choral stairs.

Would love to know who designed it and what year it was first presented. I think the first Easter show(Cavalcade second run) had a Good Friday tableaux.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 22, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Comfortably Cool posted the Up the Down Staircase ad from the summer of ‘67.

On the stage was one of the Music Hall’s spectacles unfortunately like all the rest lost forever called Court of Jewels. I had a Kodachrome slide of it once and it looked terrific.

By coincidence it is also the 50th anniversary of Balanchine’s great full length abstract ballet Jewels which is now being celebrated at the New York State Theater.

The summer of love certainly had rock on its mind.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 15, 2017 at 3:25 pm

The Tony Awards were held here this past Sunday and David Chapelle will host an event here…https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwikz_KGysDUAhXF7D4KHXYqDI4QqUMIRzAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2017%2F06%2F14%2Fentertainment%2Fdave-chappelle-live-radio-city%2Findex.html&usg=AFQjCNHsjLOl9W9eBfVLF6c3PB05ANI8sw&sig2=9dGrgxvg_6eNsRYWozu9ag

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 15, 2017 at 7:44 am

Anybody know what happened to the beautiful 2 ton Cherry Blossom Doncho curtain that was given to the city of New York as a gift and was kept by the Music Hall to occasionally feature in their stage shows? I believe I saw it once in a stage show during the 70s.