Radio City Music Hall

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,973 comments

DavidM
DavidM on December 15, 2014 at 1:58 pm

rcdt55b, thanks so much

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Hey David. Is it possible that they renumbered the seats since then? The 2 seats house left of the console in BB are actually 412-413. They are definitely used as handicapped seats if needed. There was a wheelchair there yesterday for one of the shows. I looked at the ticket list and every show seems to be sold out for those seats till the end of the run. Sorry.

DavidM
DavidM on December 15, 2014 at 1:08 pm

2014 marks the 50th anniversary of my first visit to the Hall, a very special event I’d like to commemorate it by sitting in the same seats my grandfather and I sat in, row BB, seats 413-414. They are the two seats house left of the lighting console. Alas, I can’t seem to get them. They are marked as handicapped seats though I’ve never seen a disabled person sitting in them. I know some folks here work at the Hall. Can anyone provide some assistance? Thanks.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 11, 2014 at 8:27 am

I’m not denying the fact that it looks bad. It also cut into the size of the 3-D image. We had to make the picture smaller.

ERD
ERD on November 11, 2014 at 7:43 am

The fact still holds that the false proscenium cuts down the original proscenium opening and in many people’s opinion looks ugly. The stage shows of many decades ago were more spectacular. Originally, the speakers were hidden in the grills of the ceiling.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 11, 2014 at 6:01 am

The false proscenium was added for 2 reasons. First it hides the speakers used for the show. Remember how the speakers used to be hung from the ceiling in plain sight? Secondly, it added surface area for the digital projection elements used for the Christmas show and spring show so it actually didn’t save money at all.

As far as the organs go, they do sound great. The reason they do is because components that haven’t worked in years, were all fixed. They are now able to use the entire range of effect available to them.

Crowds have been decent. Remember, the official opening night is not until this Thursday. After that, attendance usually picks up.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 10, 2014 at 11:25 am

How is the christmas show doing with crowds? Seems that this show is the most famous show at the hall….

ERD
ERD on November 10, 2014 at 7:51 am

The fake proscenium cuts down the size of the scenery, saving money. Glad to learn they stage show has improved. I still remember those wonderful 45 minute Leonidoff stage productions that were presented with the movies.Something so magical about them.

HenryABax
HenryABax on November 10, 2014 at 5:06 am

The new Christmas show is a great improvement. The terrible video number is gone and has been replaced by the familiar, and much better, “Rag Doll” number. Also, the organists are playing a new medley as an overture. The old one sounded like endless transitions without songs/carols in between. Now, you can identify the pieces that they are playing.

Furthermore, the show begins with the orchestra coming up on the lift, the consoles rolling out, and singers on the waterfall stage extensions singing Christmas carols. They are dressed in traditional RCMH usher uniforms. It’s a nice tribute to the history of the Music Hall.

I also like the way that the organs pick up the last piece as the consoles roll out to play the “Hallelujah Chorus” as exit music. The organists end with a big D major chord and holding bottom D, middle D, and top D in the pedals. That bottom D on the Wurlitzer hits the resonant frequency of the room. A nice old fashioned trick that Leibert used effectively for years. Overall, it seems that someone in charge is being more sensitive to what sounds and looks good in the space. Now, if we could only get rid of that fake proscenium insert that reduces the size of the opening.

markp
markp on November 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Like I said, I guess being a projectionist for over 38 years, I notice these things the average joe would not. If they ever give booth tours Im in, LOL

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 8, 2014 at 9:18 am

The girls scouts were gone before our test so I was able to go down. Unfortunately, because of the angle the projectors shoot down at, the hotspot that you’re seeing is more prevalent in the front parts of the orchestra seats. The further back you go, the less the hot spotting seems. Curving the screen would lessen this, but there is just no room to fly a curved screen up. As Vito was saying, the 3D effect usually is lessened the further off center you go. The one good thing about the screen here not being curved is that it actually does not lessen the effect. I checked out the side seats last year during a test and there was very little drop off of light. I took a few pictures that I will post in a few minutes.

Vito
Vito on November 8, 2014 at 7:57 am

Thanks redt55b I would love to see some updated photos, as to the equipment being clean I found the entire booth immaculate including the polished floors. Clearly a lot of pride in that work space. Yes Mark us booth junkies are a special breed.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 8, 2014 at 4:57 am

Thanks Mark. It’s good to know your exact seat. I will have to check it tomorrow. Girl Scouts are here today.

Vito mentioned how clean the equipment was. For a week and a half during load in this year, we completely torn down both 70MM projectors. Everything was cleaned and parts were replaced as needed. Very few parts. I will try and post some pictures later.

markp
markp on November 8, 2014 at 4:29 am

If it will help rcdt55b, I was sitting in row EE seat 503. Vito, I have seen photos of the booth, but like you, and you know me for many years, Im just a booth junkie I guess. And now more than ever since I dont work in the business anymore because of digital, I just love seeing old projection rooms.

Vito
Vito on November 8, 2014 at 2:11 am

You all may recall the main reason for not the Hall not showing “Kiss Me Kate” in 3-D aside from dealing with distributing all those glasses was problems with light fall off form the silver screen for people sitting too far left or right of center. It was a problem for us back in the 50s in some movies palaces with wide auditoriums for those siting in seats too far from center. Mark, I visited the both back when 70mm was installed and what impressed me the most was how immaculately it was maintained, do they no longer have backstage tours which includes a visit to the booth?

markp
markp on November 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Glad I was able to help.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

Thanks for the update Mark. I will go down tomorrow morning during our testing to check on it. Most likely it’s because we use a silver screen and it’s not curved like it is supposed to be. It’s bad enough when it IS curved. You will get hotspots. When a silver screen is not curved, the hotspots are worse and they change depending on where you sit.

markp
markp on November 7, 2014 at 4:38 am

And I also looked back up to the projection room port windows and saw 2 projectionists looking out at the end of the show. Oh how I miss projection, and wishing that one day I could see this iconic booth. Once again my wife is working the show. Heres to to a great run.

markp
markp on November 7, 2014 at 4:32 am

Saw the Christmas show at 5:30 last night. Glad to see they revamped it a bit and got rid of that stupid game playing skit. A quick question, when I was watching the 3D segment, why was the left side of the screen significantly brighter than the rest of the screen. It looked as if the screen had a bright patch sewn in, which of course I know is not possible. It was just a bit distracting, but I still enjoyed it, knowing it was on film. I should add I was 5 rows from the screen on the aisle just left of house center.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/msg-shares-spike-after-break-up-exploration-oct-28-2014-10?utm_source=washingtonpost.com/pb/themost&utm_medium=referral looks like msg entertainment will be a good stock!!!

Vito
Vito on October 24, 2014 at 12:30 am

I hear you Mark, perhaps “Interstellar” will be the start of something good for film again. Many industry people are not happy with Digital and would like to see more film. As to 70mm 3-D at the Hall I expect as long as the Santa opening remains so will the 70mmm 3-D It is very difficult for the Hall to project Digital from the booth does not work well and projecting form the mezzanine as they did with movies is surly not going to happen no way they close those to the public at Christmas time.

markp
markp on October 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I hope your right Vito. I wish one day I could see the booth at RCMH, but I know its a pipe dream.

markp
markp on October 23, 2014 at 7:38 am

My wife is once again a dresser on the Christmas show. I will probably be there the day of the last dress rehersals, as always. Lets hope the 70mm stays forever. I miss being a projectionist. Damn digital.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 23, 2014 at 7:15 am

70MM 3-D as always. Hopefully that will never change.

Vito
Vito on October 23, 2014 at 7:07 am

They had better have the show go on, cancelling again would be bad for the theatre’s reputation. Last year they should have at least played the preview performances as we do on B'way where shows are occasionally cancelled after previews due to patrons dissatisfaction or interest. Let the people decide

I know I ask this every year but 70mm for the 3-D Christmas show?