Film Forum

209 W. Houston Street,
New York, NY 10014

vindanpar on October 29, 2015 at 11:55 am

I myself am grateful for the place. Bruce is a wonderful programmer and Steve Sterner should be in every issue of New York magazine’s The Best of New York.

I just will not see wide screen films there because they seem pointless. But then there isn’t one wide screen in NY that can do justice to old wide screen films while it seems there are several on the west coast which sadly enough I can’t get to.

Oddly enough the old Film Forum had a very good wide screen in the right side cinema which hit you head on. Too bad they couldn’t design a similar one for this space.

Another big caveat. Too many old films getting 1 to 3 week runs. And much fewer double bills. It wasn’t like this years ago. Most of these single film runs you would see on double bills that ran a day or two. I don’t care if they are DCP restorations they are a waste of time for those of us who have memberships and have already seen these films in excellent prints which Film Forum would often present anyway. Very frustrating.

bshapiro on October 28, 2015 at 10:21 am

Film Forum has a small screen for Cinemascope, to be sure…but quality careful projection (and of 35mm prints often), good sound—and the fact that a revival screen exists at all anymore, programming by smart folks with solid connections to archives and studio vaults worldwide…I’m grateful for the place.

Given the nature of New York real estate, its a small miracle that Film Forum exists at all. I guess the price to pay is the small screen. I would die to see films there BIG, but I’m willing to pay that price. The only other non-profit theater in Manhattan is Anthology Film Archives, and that’s because they own their building.

vindanpar on October 28, 2015 at 9:54 am

Presentation of films here is always top notch. Though I believe they squeezed in more seats in the revival room(can’t really call it a theater) because my knees now hit the seat in front of me which didn’t happen before.

My only problem is the size of the wide screen which is really a joke. They might as well set up a flat screen tv in front of the audience and show it on dvd.

They are showing Spartacus for a week. They might as well be showing a three strip This Is Cinerama for all the sense that makes.

bshapiro on May 28, 2015 at 10:23 am

At least for this 6'3" person, I find the seats comfortable enough, if not up to stadium seat standards. The screens are relatively small, but the projection is consistently high quality. And no 10 minute stream of ads before the movies. And top-notch baked goods and popcorn and coffee beverages.

mhvbear on May 28, 2015 at 10:15 am

Programing is great here but the theaters have small screens and extremely uncomfortable seating.

moviebuff82 on May 27, 2015 at 3:16 pm

I read in the NYT that this theater has 4k projection.

Trolleyguy on January 20, 2014 at 3:10 pm

The discussion between Ryan and his girl friend was about the Film Forum. The marquee also appears in an early scene.

fred1 on January 20, 2014 at 2:44 pm

The ticket stub wasn’t from the Film forum

Trolleyguy on January 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

This theater is prominently featured in first part of the new film “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.” The auditorium shots may have been filmed in a studio, though.

bolorkay on October 10, 2013 at 7:22 am

Praise and a heart-felt thank-you to Film Forum for bring back The “Sci-Fi Festival” this year. I hope it was a big money-maker for you. Love to see this come back every summer, again.

Nick DiMaggio
Nick DiMaggio on August 19, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Tim. “The Tingler” was digital and “Homicidal” was 35mm. I just checked the website and was amazed at this months line up of horror/sci-fi classics. Even “Village of the Damned”(1960) is scheduled. Time to vacation in NY for the next two weeks.

hdtv267 on August 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Wish my scheduling had worked out for this round of Bill Castle’s films. I went last time and had a blast,er, buzz at the screenings.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on August 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Nick; they usually indicate on their website wheter a film will be shown in 35mm or DCP digital.

Nick DiMaggio
Nick DiMaggio on August 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Bill. Love Castle’s films—he took showmanship to the upmost level. What I would have given to have been there. Any idea if showings were film or digital?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Yesterday I attended a William Castle double bill of “The Tingler” and “Homicidal”. They took interactive movie-going to new heights. Forget 3D – these movies were in 5D. I even got popcorn in my hair. Most fun I’ve had at the movies in years.

bolorkay on October 19, 2012 at 8:21 am

Thank You, Film Forum for the fantastic presentation of “The Creature From The Black Lagoon”. The digital restoration and 3-D were eye-popping, to say the least. (as was, of course the beautiful Ms. Adams.) It was great to see a film where the 3-D became a important part of the plot and not just an “add-on”. Once again, kudos to FF.

dmntfrt on August 16, 2012 at 10:40 pm

looking for Montay drive in movie speaker. Is there anyone that can help? E-mail me at Thanks.

Garth on June 9, 2012 at 11:53 am

I like that they request all electronic devices be turned completely off. The patrons take their filmgoing very seriously. I was there for the Spaghetti Western series and a man in front of me took out his cel. A patron behind me immediately leaned forward and requested he take it outside. Yes! But some go a bit too far. The man directly in front of me turned around every time I shifted in my seat. Give us a break!

moviebuff82 on May 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I enjoy reading newspaper ads and reading what movies the Forum plays is interesting. Glad that this place is still in business in the big apple.

cmbussmann on May 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I finally broke down and bought a membership to Film Forum. I don’t know why I didn’t do it years ago. But with the upcoming Spaghetti Western series, I know I’ll be hitting this place up at least ten times so why not join and get the tickets for less. And honestly, it’s great to support a robust independent theater. Even if their three screens are small and cramped.

I’ve had many wonderful experiences at Film Forum over the years: meeting Werner Herzog at a screening of White Diamond was a particular favorite but I also really enjoyed seeing Battle Of Algiers, Days of Heaven, Aguirre: Wrath Of God, and Fat City in 35mm revivals.

In light of so many theater closures and the push to DCP, it’s great to see Film Forum do well. I know they are incorporating DCP and I don’t really have an issue with that so long as they continue showing other formats as well.

GaryCohen on September 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm

hdtv, the showing I went to of “House on Haunted Hill” 2 Sundays ago was jammed also. (It was the first showing of that film since they only showed Haunted Hill/Sardonicus for one day.) Everyone was so enthused and friendly. It was great just talking to total strangers there about Castle and the films being shown. I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to see “Macabre,” “Homicidal” and “Night Walker there as well. I can still remember seeing all of these films, (with the exception of "Homicidal,” which I somehow missed, in the movies as a child.)
I read Castle’s autobiography about 20 years ago and if you have not read it, I highly recommend it.
And thanks to this Castle retro, I take back anything I’ve ever said negative about this theater. (See my previous post some months back.) I now look forward to seeing the remastered “Psycho” there at the end of October.

edblank on September 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

Does anyone have any idea how the Castle festival performed at the b.o., taking into account the fact that double bills in shoebox auditoriums limit the turnover? By chance the featival included all of my favorites – three in the “Whistler” series, “Homicidal” (Is it even possible to be fooled by that one?) and “The Night Walker,” especially for Vic Mizzy’s spooky and imperishable score.

Gimmicks notwithstanding, Castle’s mysteries and thrillers are hopelessly contrived and often plain terrible (“13 Ghosts”), but he was such a consummate ham that he kept me returning as a kid. Anyway, I hope “Night Walker” did well and that Film Forum is encouraged to book more of such Americana festivals.

Vic Mizzy

GaryCohen on September 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm

hdtv, I was there for the first showing of “Sardonicus” and “Haunted Hill” on Sunday. I originally saw these films when they played in my neighborhood theaters in Brooklyn when I was a kid. I haven’t had a better time all summer. I enjoyed the fact that the older audiences (like myself) were laughing and chuckling at some of the scenes that scared us silly as kids. I also enjoyed the fact that some people brought their own young children to see Castle’s films. I’m sure that they were a lot more entertaining than most of the garbage that passes as horror films today.
I went last Sunday to see “The Tingler” and missed sitting in the wired seats for the second time in 50 years. Oh well, wait til next time. I’m not sure if you were there but it was hilarious to see the skeleton from “Haunted Hill” make a re-appearance during the LSD sequence in “The Tingler.” I had such a great time that I’m only sorry that this Castle tribute didn’t last another week.