Lamar Theatre

219 S. Main Street,
Lamar, CO 81052

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 18 comments

DonLewis
DonLewis on February 1, 2012 at 7:35 am

From 1987 a photo of the Lamar Theatre in Lamar Colorado.

HodgePodge
HodgePodge on January 31, 2012 at 10:58 pm

“Oh, my uncle also told me that the Lamar Theatre had a “sister” theatre in the Denver area. The Lamar’s art deco look was either modeled from that theatre or vice versa. I don’t know where that theatre was, or if it’s still standing.”

The Gothic Theater in Englewood is the sister theater and was modeled after the Lamar during its remodel.

HodgePodge
HodgePodge on January 31, 2012 at 9:44 pm

New Link http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepdiver521/

HodgePodge
HodgePodge on January 30, 2012 at 12:08 am

My dad managed the Pioneer and the Lamar in Lamar and became the general manager for Atlas Theatre Corp. I rember selling popcorn at the drive in as a very young kid.

I found some old photos and newspaper clippings in our family photos and put them up on flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75481081@N02/

DonLewis
DonLewis on October 26, 2010 at 9:33 pm

From 2010 a photo view of the Lamar Theatre Here and Here in Lamar.

mistymonet
mistymonet on August 13, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Another memory of growing up in Lamar, CO…. In the 70’s there was another theatre in town called the Century Theatre. It was located around 206 South 5th Street. The building has since been renovated and is now the home of a mortuary.

I believe the Century opened during a time when the Lamar Theatre was closed down and not in operation. If I recall correctly, the Lamar Theatre reopened in the late 70’s to early 80’s, and for a short time, Lamar enjoyed two theatres as well as a drive-in theatre. I think the Century Theatre and the Lamar Drive-in closed soon into the 80’s.

mistymonet
mistymonet on August 13, 2010 at 4:01 pm

To my understanding, it was the Pioneer Theatre that was located at approximately 111 South Main Street in Lamar, CO. You can still see ghost images of the old scrolled paintings high on the walls from the old theatre which is now a roofless space used for a small amount of downtown parking. The area where the screen was located is a large square opening, and the old emergency exits are still evident on each side of the old screen (opening).

One of my uncles who worked at that theatre during the time it was being closed and/or demolished, told me he spent many long days tending a fire, burning the old movie posters [gasp]! I guess they didn’t realize then what they’d be worth in the years to come!

The same uncle, along with both of my parents and other family members worked at the then newer Lamar Theatre at 216 South Main Street, as well as the Arrow Drive-In east of Lamar. What great memories I have of that theatre!

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 12, 2009 at 11:56 pm

The Lamar Theatre was designed by Denver architect Charles D. Strong. An article about it with photos was published in the March 29, 1947, issue of Boxoffice Magazine. Decorations in the Lamar were executed by Hart Theatrical Decorating and Display. The new house had been built in a converted retail building. It was not the Pioneer Theatre.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 12, 2009 at 10:28 pm

This may have been the Pioneer at one time. This item was in Boxoffice magazine in November 1946, when the Lamar opened:

LAMAR, COLO.-C.U. Yeager and Dave Davis, officials of the Atlas Theatre Corp., have completed the refurbishing of their Pioneer Theater here.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 10, 2009 at 5:39 pm

That was my mistake. That’s the LaMar in Manhattan Beach, CA.

RichardCWolfe
RichardCWolfe on February 10, 2009 at 5:35 pm

The 1940 photo of a Lamar theatre submitted by ken mc is obviously not the same theatre. Everything about the theatre, it’s neighbors, and the street elevation is completely different.

Does anyone know what Lamar theatre that is?

DonLewis
DonLewis on June 6, 2008 at 4:24 am

A 1987 view of the Lamar Theater here and here in Lamar.

brentclarkf
brentclarkf on July 12, 2005 at 8:27 am

Mr Dudley thanks for the correction. I agree the Ross’s have done a great job. The Lamar is beautiful! I spoke with them on Cindy and I’s first visit, but I guess I got that fact confused. Who built the Lamar? I finally purchased a digital camera that works well, so next time I’m in Lamar, I’m going to speak with Mr. Ross about photographing his theatre. I’d like to photograph yours, the Movies, too. If you’ll send me your e.mail address, I’ll send you some of my favorites. Cindy and I just love checking out classic theatres, meeting their owners and hearing their stories. Like we were talking about, that’s one of the first things we do when we’re traveling through a town. Like you, we look for the theatre. See you the next time we’re in Ulysses, KS.

dudley
dudley on July 11, 2005 at 5:21 pm

I would like to add to Brent Clark with whom I met at my theatre in Ulysses Kansas. Rick and Tina Ross has done an excellent job with the Lamar Theatre. It has had so many owners that had just let it run down. Brent Clark had thought that C.U. Yeager was the architect but was the owner back in the 30"s. I worked for Atlas Theatre chain out of Denver which was owned by Mr. Yeager and for years of all the theatres he owned he called the Lamar theatre his Flag Ship Theatre. He had a big color photo of the theatre in his office in Denver.posted by Richard Dudley on July 11,2005 at 10:25p.m.

brentclarkf
brentclarkf on May 10, 2005 at 12:57 pm

This is one of my favorites. The mural work alone is excellent, not to mention the recessed neon lighting. The owner said he has multiple colors of neon for the different seasons and it’s all original. This is one of the coolest theatres you’ll find around eastern Colorado.