Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 226 - 250 of 2,988 comments

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 10, 2012 at 2:47 am

Can anyone say “Christmas Spectacular??????” Yes, we are starting up again…………

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 4, 2012 at 10:50 pm

There’s a more elaborate history for the Elliot Hall of Music here, identifying the aforementioned RCMH designer as J. Andre Fouilhoux.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

The designer for Radio City Music Hall was a consulting architect for the Purdue (Elliot) Hall of Music. Photo

JayFMould
JayFMould on August 31, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Was just noticing the July 26th note. I was working at the Hall that morning, and as was my custom I usually went off for lunch break just after the feature started. When I and the rest of the first group got back we knew by the different activity around that something had happened. Emma Heller was the nurse on duty that morning, and she was headed for the exec car (private elevator) at the front of the house and asked what all the extra activity around the front of the house was, as we heard nothing when we were in the Service Staff Quarters on the Grand Lounge Level before as we returned from outside and trying to back upstairs on time. She filled us in. As I recall as I was upstairs that day the third mezz was closed and blocked due to a shortage of staff and the light business.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Those sinks and hand dryers are still there.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I just noticed that “THE BLACK CAULDRON” followed “RETURN TO OZ”.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I think this engagement of “RETURN TO OZ” in 1985 may have been the last regular movie run at the Hall.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm

How long did that 70 x 32 foot screen last at the Music Hall?

What are the sizes of some current screens in New York, such as the Ziegfeld, Empire, Lincoln Square?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

It certainly was. To prove how popular Cinerama was in 1963, I saw it in Montclair, a New Jersey suburb and not a big city by any means. Now there are only three 3-strip Cinerama theaters left in the entire world.

AGRoura
AGRoura on June 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Well Bill, your first roadshow experience must have been very thrilling, 3 strip Cinerama, wow! It’s a shame we don’t have a Cinerama house in our area.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Oh yes, they were all 35mm regular runs at “popular prices” in local New Jersey theaters. I wish I had seen them as roadshows! My first roadshow was “How the West Was Won”, in Cinerama.

AGRoura
AGRoura on June 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm

But Bill, Spartacus, Lawrence and the others were two a day roadshow presentations, you had to see them from the beginning starting with the overture and the curtain closed. Are you referring to having seeing them in continuous performances in a move over, usually in 35mm not 70mm, after the roadshow engagement?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Other times (non-Music Hall) when I walked in on the middle of the movie: “Spartacus”, “Lawrence of Arabia”, “Cleopatra”, “My Fair Lady”. It really was a common practice back then. That’s why the “Psycho” restriction was so revolutionary (and effective).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Saps: I’d say the people on those long lines definitely came in the middle. I was on a four-hour line for the 1969 Christmas show, “A Boy Named Charlie Brown”, and we were just glad to finally get in the building. The movie was already playing, but we just found seats and tried to figure out what was going on. I also saw “The Out-of-Towners” at the Hall a few months later under those same circumstances. The line wasn’t as long, but we did walk in while the movie had already been playing for about 45 minutes.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Did they come into Radio City in the middle of the show as they did at other movie theaters (“this is where we came in”) in the pre-Psycho days? It must have been mild chaos with all the comings and goings.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 11, 2012 at 11:24 pm

If only the Music Hall’s screen was that large!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Three years before Gone with the wind became a hit.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I miss the 6th Avenue el, (seen in the photo five responses above this) even thought it was torn down decades before I was born.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on May 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm

That’s what it seems.

Vito
Vito on May 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I recall they had an option for 2013, was it not as popular as they had hoped?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on May 21, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Cirque is leaving after this year. They are not staying as long as they were supossed to.

Vito
Vito on May 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Cirque du Soleil opens again soon I wondered if it is the same show as last year and is anyone here working on it?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on May 12, 2012 at 4:30 am

On March 17 THE SIGNING NUN moved in.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 12, 2012 at 3:15 am

I looked in the NY Times and saw it opened February 17, 1966. But when did it close?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 12, 2012 at 3:07 am

With this new format I can’t look back at all past comments at once, so I appeal to a helpful CTer — when did Inside Daisy Clover play here? Thanks.