Radio City Music Hall

Showing 226 - 250 of 2,970 comments

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on May 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm

That’s what it seems.

Vito
Vito on May 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I recall they had an option for 2013, was it not as popular as they had hoped?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on May 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

Cirque is leaving after this year. They are not staying as long as they were supossed to.

Vito
Vito on May 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

Cirque du Soleil opens again soon I wondered if it is the same show as last year and is anyone here working on it?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm

On March 17 THE SIGNING NUN moved in.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I looked in the NY Times and saw it opened February 17, 1966. But when did it close?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm

With this new format I can’t look back at all past comments at once, so I appeal to a helpful CTer — when did Inside Daisy Clover play here? Thanks.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Not coincidental to the success of “The Valley of Decision”, Germany surrendered that week and audiences were optimistic and wanting to see the news.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 3, 2012 at 2:28 pm

And that would mean an average ticket price of $10.44 in 2012 grosses. Not as far off the current price in NYC for a standard (non-IMAX, non 3-D) movie ticket, at least at first blush, as one might have thought. But, if there were still a movie and stageshow policy at a theater like the Music Hall today, I’m sure a considerable premium would be charged!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Later this year marks the 80th anniversary of this historic venue. Any celebration events?

Eric Evans
Eric Evans on April 30, 2012 at 11:57 am

I’ve uploaded 3 photos from 1991,the projection equipment,spotlights & rewind bench. Sorry for the poor quality but any photo is better than none I guess.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Next week the NFL Draft will begin at the hall. This is a perfect location for such a big event, with most of the crowd die-hard NFL fans and media personell.

AGRoura
AGRoura on March 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

About the comment some time ago re Deep In My Heart: The musical numbers are spectacular specially brothers Gene and Fred Kelly and Ann Miller as well as Ferrer in Jazza Dodoo.

LuisV
LuisV on March 14, 2012 at 8:06 am

I too remember seeing Crossed Swords at Radio City and liking it a lot as a young teen.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Well, it does feature the great Johnny Whitaker! I had a crush on Jodie Foster at the time I saw it, too. I remember enjoying “Crossed Swords” a lot… but then, I was a big fan of the Richard Lester version of “The Three Musketeers” and its sequel. I have not seen the movie in nearly 35 years, so I am still looking back through eyes of a 13 year-old.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Ed, I think “Tom Sawyer” holds up. The rest, not so much.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I definitely saw “Tom Sawyer,” “Robin Hood,” “Mame,” “Paper Tiger,” and “Crossed Swords” at the Hall. I’ve seen a number of the other ‘70’s flicks listed in yours and Ron3853’s posts, but I’m not exactly confident that they were here. I all but forgot about “Paper Tiger,” which I remember starring David Niven and being incredibly boring as a child of 11 years. I fairly enjoyed the other films at the time. Not all that sure how any of them would hold up today!

I also remember driving by in someone’s car and seeing “Caravans” was the attraction. In my memory, I always thought this was the last presentation – and, as with “Crossed Swords,” may have been advertised as such. It wasn’t until joining CT that I learned “The Promise” actually held that honor.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Ed, Ron3853 ran this on July 18, 2004.

I then ran this in 2008: THE SUNSHINE BOYS ran until January 22, 1976 March 12- May 12, 1976 ROBIN AND MARIAN May 13- June 3, 1976 THE BLUE BIRD June 4- June 17, 1976 1776 June 18- July 28, 1976 HARRY & WALTER GO TO NEW YORK July 29- Sept 15, 1976 SWASHBUCKLER Sept 16- October 6, 1976 PAPER TIGER October 7- November 3, 1976 A MATTER OF TIME November 4-January 12, 1977 THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE March 3- March 30, 1977 MR. BILLION March 31 – April 27, 1977 THE LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES April 28- May 18, 1977 THE STING May 19- June 29, 1977 SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT June 30- September 15, 1977 MacARTHUR November 3- January 11, 1978 PETE’S DRAGON March 2- April 16, 1978 CROSSED SWORDS April 27- May 17, 1978 THE SEA GYSPSIES May 18- June 21, 1978 FANTASIA June 22- August 2, 1978 MATILDA August 3- ? THE MAGIC OF LASSIE November 2- January 17, 1979 CARAVANS March 8 – April 25, 1979 THE PROMISE

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hey Al… Funny, I clicked on your link and started getting lost in the conversation that a few of us were having about this great theatre nearly 6 years ago! If you don’t mind saving me from flipping through all the intervening pages since that time, did you ever update your list of films at the Hall through the end of the 1970’s? The post I read ends with what I presume to be the Christmas holiday engagement of the musical “Scrooge,” in late November, 1970, which would be at the beginning of the era during which I saw a number of movies here.

Myron
Myron on February 11, 2012 at 4:01 am

Thanks for the help. I agree “Deep in my Heart” was awful. We saw it later on at a local theater. So what what did we see that holiday week back in 1954? Was the “Country Girl” playing at the Criterion that week? Where is a list of what films played when at RCMH? I am retired as spend lots of time on nostalgia of those great films. Thanks again.

chspringer
chspringer on February 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

The bio part of the film was awful and Mel Ferrer was laughable, but the music was some of MGM’s best. Just my opinion.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Easy to forget Myron. It was an awful film.

Myron
Myron on January 28, 2012 at 4:26 am

I’m going nuts trying to remember which film played at the RCMH during Dec. 1954. My family went every December when I was a kid to visit the RCMH or the Roxy. We never saw “"There’s No Business Like Show Business” that December so we must have visited RCMH. What was playing? Where can I find a complete list of films which played at both theatres? I have a nice collection of programs given at both theatres. Unfortunately, I’m a pack rat and it would be quite a job to find them.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

The Chase logo is EVERYWHERE in the building including the Chase logo shaped wreaths in the basement so I guess they still are….lol….