AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 11, 2007 at 8:01 am

So, it’ll be IMAX shoehorned into a standard multiplex box? What do you mean by “edited” for IMAX – is that due to a difference in the aspect ratio? Or do you refer to different editing choices to maximize the 3-D sequences? Aside from that, isn’t IMAX on a standard multiplex screen basically a 70mm presentation? Or is that too simple a comparison?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 11, 2007 at 7:42 am

But where are they putting these IMAX screens? Are they raising the roof any maybe losing one or two of their terraces? I love those terraces.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 11, 2007 at 7:38 am

I am there practically every week since I moved into the neighborhood and the tourist element is insignificant at the movies unless you consider people from The Bronx tourists. The ‘burbs crowd also pack Red Lobster, and The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.

AMC has no down side if the IMAX projectors are free, no screens are lost, and regular films can still show in that screen. In the future if I have a choice between IMAX 3-D and 35mm I will choose the latter as I hate it when they edit the films to accommodate the format and the 3-D gimmick wears thin five minutes in, even when they keep throwing things at you as they do in BEOWULF.

If others think like me, it will soon be KISS ME KATE at Radio City Music Hall all over again.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 11, 2007 at 6:37 am

Simple. You have to eat before a Broadway show.

The Empire crowd are mostly locals and Lincoln Square usually outgrosses the Empire on a film by film basis.

br91975 on December 11, 2007 at 6:28 am

Tourists visiting Times Square flock to Red Lobster and The Olive Garden, so an IMAX screen at the Empire is probably a safe bet on AMC’s behalf.

longislandmovies on December 10, 2007 at 8:48 pm

The IMAX in Charleston by me just went out of bsns.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 10, 2007 at 8:18 pm

It’s a watered down version with a much smaller screen. IMAX is going the way of Cinerama by getting less spectacular every year.

When I saw WINGS OF COURAGE in IMAX 3-D with headphone sound to augment the speakers I felt I was seeing the future of the movies. When I recently saw an edited version of HARRY POTTER with ten minutes of lame 3-D effects I felt ripped-off.

IMAX has been struggling mostly by discounting school groups. Why would tourists buy tickets to something almost every town in the world already has?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 10, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Where do they have a space big enough to accommodate an IMAX auditorium? Are they building up our out into an adjacent building? Or are they combining existing auditoriums and reducing the overall number of screens? I’m with Warren on this issue – I think IMAX will draw bigger in Times Square than it does uptown.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 8, 2007 at 8:06 am

Only 25 short blocks up Broadway.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 8, 2007 at 7:31 am

You have to wonder why they would bother. Every time I have been to Lincoln Square IMAX (the only one in Manhattan) it is empty and this is within walking distance.

moviebuff82 on December 7, 2007 at 7:12 pm

this theater will be the first in times square to have a new version of the IMAX 3D system, scheduled for launch sometime in the summer of 2008.

moviebuff82 on December 2, 2007 at 11:11 am

this is not the only amc theater to have two screens with digital projection. The AMC in Paramus has two and the clifton commons has two.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 6, 2007 at 5:43 am

Laffmovie seems to disappear in 1948, so it either became the Empire then or reverted to Eltinge.

42ndStreetMemories on November 6, 2007 at 5:35 am

I just found an image from the LAFFMOVIE days. Does anyone know when it converted to the EMPIRE name. I think the image is 1954.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 5, 2007 at 1:08 pm

The one-week engagement of “Blade Runner: The Final Cut” has not only been twice extended, but – as of this past Friday – is now day-and-dating at the Sunshine Cinema. And the movie has also been given midnight only showings back at the Ziegfeld for the past couple of weeks. What a great success story this has been! What started out as a two-week, two-city engagement has been extended into its 5th week (at least here in NYC) and has expanded its number of screens. I understand that an engagement at the Seattle Cinerama began on October 26th.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 20, 2007 at 7:08 am

Blade Runner: The Final Cut is running here for one week only, a move-over from the Ziegfeld. In digital projection. I saw it at the Ziegfeld but may see it again here.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 6, 2007 at 1:22 pm

A few vidcaps from some video clips I found on YouTube:

1990 marquee neon
1990 under canopy
1970 night shot

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 17, 2007 at 6:55 am

I was here Wednesday night; saw two movies and visited the box office, concession stand and the restroom. Everything was just fine.

Forrest136 on August 17, 2007 at 6:48 am

This place is a real downer. I have had bad experiences here the last 4 times I went to see a film there. Poor mangaement is the reason. Keep away if possible!

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 8, 2007 at 5:54 am

I think the laws are different now taking into account that almost all theatres are first run. AMC was mostly forced to sell those that monopolized a booking zone.

During the Cineplex Odeon buy, Sony’s stake in Loews became diluted.

bigred on August 8, 2007 at 12:47 am

Considering the size of AMC and Loews is hard to believe they only have to get rid of 10 theatres. I know there are a lot of theatres from both that are in compition of each other. This would also include all the theatres they got from General Cinema. I know that AMC isn’t the only one to get away with buying out the compition and not being require to have compition as antitrust laws state.

There was a post about Sony selling Loews but Sony always owned Loews. It had started as Loews but then they changed the name to Sony but changed it back to Loews only a couple years later.

moviebuff82 on July 25, 2007 at 11:50 am

I agree with you, that art house fare AMC likes to call as select. They also used to show old movies, which Clearview probably stole the idea from when they showed classic movies at some of its theaters. BTW, which theater is the largest in terms of size and seating?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 25, 2007 at 11:45 am

This is my favorite house in the city, apart from the Ziegfeld. (Regal E-Walk is next.) I’ve never had the problems others have encountered, and the presentation and ambiance are first-rate. My only caveat is that they used to play more art films here, on the top level, but now it’s mostly run-of-the-mill multiplex fare.