Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 251 - 275 of 2,978 comments

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Ed, Ron3853 ran this on July 18, 2004.

I then ran this in 2008: THE SUNSHINE BOYS ran until January 22, 1976 March 12- May 12, 1976 ROBIN AND MARIAN May 13- June 3, 1976 THE BLUE BIRD June 4- June 17, 1976 1776 June 18- July 28, 1976 HARRY & WALTER GO TO NEW YORK July 29- Sept 15, 1976 SWASHBUCKLER Sept 16- October 6, 1976 PAPER TIGER October 7- November 3, 1976 A MATTER OF TIME November 4-January 12, 1977 THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE March 3- March 30, 1977 MR. BILLION March 31 – April 27, 1977 THE LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES April 28- May 18, 1977 THE STING May 19- June 29, 1977 SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT June 30- September 15, 1977 MacARTHUR November 3- January 11, 1978 PETE’S DRAGON March 2- April 16, 1978 CROSSED SWORDS April 27- May 17, 1978 THE SEA GYSPSIES May 18- June 21, 1978 FANTASIA June 22- August 2, 1978 MATILDA August 3- ? THE MAGIC OF LASSIE November 2- January 17, 1979 CARAVANS March 8 – April 25, 1979 THE PROMISE

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hey Al… Funny, I clicked on your link and started getting lost in the conversation that a few of us were having about this great theatre nearly 6 years ago! If you don’t mind saving me from flipping through all the intervening pages since that time, did you ever update your list of films at the Hall through the end of the 1970’s? The post I read ends with what I presume to be the Christmas holiday engagement of the musical “Scrooge,” in late November, 1970, which would be at the beginning of the era during which I saw a number of movies here.

Myron
Myron on February 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thanks for the help. I agree “Deep in my Heart” was awful. We saw it later on at a local theater. So what what did we see that holiday week back in 1954? Was the “Country Girl” playing at the Criterion that week? Where is a list of what films played when at RCMH? I am retired as spend lots of time on nostalgia of those great films. Thanks again.

chspringer
chspringer on February 11, 2012 at 4:29 am

The bio part of the film was awful and Mel Ferrer was laughable, but the music was some of MGM’s best. Just my opinion.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 11, 2012 at 4:17 am

Easy to forget Myron. It was an awful film.

Myron
Myron on January 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’m going nuts trying to remember which film played at the RCMH during Dec. 1954. My family went every December when I was a kid to visit the RCMH or the Roxy. We never saw “"There’s No Business Like Show Business” that December so we must have visited RCMH. What was playing? Where can I find a complete list of films which played at both theatres? I have a nice collection of programs given at both theatres. Unfortunately, I’m a pack rat and it would be quite a job to find them.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm

The Chase logo is EVERYWHERE in the building including the Chase logo shaped wreaths in the basement so I guess they still are….lol….

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Sad news indeed. On a lighter note, Delta Airlines is now the official airline of the Christmas show. Is Chase still a sponsor?

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thanks red155b always appreciate your imput

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

To hide the speakers and for projected images for the show.

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

If not Cirque why was it installed in the first place?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm

It was not up for cirque. Maybe it will stay up for the upcoming run though. Not sure. The LED wall for the video game has had problems so far but not with the content. Its been mostly mechanical. Effect is good. More depth of field than things coming out at you. The film is better for that.

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

Did they not install that additional part at the top of the proscenium to accomadate Cirque du Soleil? I understood that it would be removed when that show leaves in 2-3 years because it would better than removing it now and have to reinstalled when Cirque returns next summer. How has the 3-D LED screen been working has it been behaving properly? Looks like a magnificent effect

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 5:36 am

Cant put speakers behind the arch. No sound would get through. The fake arch is made of acoustically transparent material.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:51 am

One more question: is there a reason why these new speakers can’t be placed behind the original arches? I would tend to think there would be a lot of room in there…(though it probably isn’t easy to access).

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:37 am

Ah, I see—from rcdt55b’s comment (thank you) and this:

Makes me very nervous.

Glad that the speaker clusters are gone. Given a choice between the speaker clusters and this, I choose the new arch. The radiating arches are much clearer now.

Also very glad it is temporary and can be taken down to show the true architectural wonder of the room.

I imagine a great deal of thought, time, and effort went into creating it.

But (again) it makes me nervous.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 1:27 am

It’s temporary. It was put in place for two reasons……..for the candy cane effect during the show and to hide the speaker clusters.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:18 am

Call me old-fashioned and immature, but what is the reason for messing with something that has worked for nearly 80 years? The new arch is tacky-looking and belittling to the Music Hall. Take it away—now—please!!!

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:11 am

What in God’s name have they done to the proscenium?! It just doesn’t look right. I sincerely hope this is temporary?…

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

The stage shows and films! As a child my mother would take us when she could. “Airport”, “The Christmas Tree”, “Darling Lili” are just a few I can remember. In the late 70s/early 80s film retrospectives were shown. I recall being one of the few people in the orchestra level for a 10AM screening of “Cabaret”.

A dance teacher of mine was in the corps de ballet in the 1940s,and her husband Nicholas Daks was ballet master/director. She told us stories of the 5-6 shows a day, the rooftop garden, tennis courts, and the dorms for the performers to rest while the movie was showing.

Years later I had friends who were Rockettes,and I myself auditioned many times for various shows in the rehearsl halls upstairs

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Thanks for that responce I sorta thought they were cooling of some kind but they semed a-bit-much for that purpose,124 degrees yikes. Temperature was also a problem with the 70mm IMAX which ran off of platters. In order to keep the film from warping and sticking together on the platter we had to introduce enough humidity into the booth to turn it into an African rainforest. :)The new Digital IMAX of course does not have that problem but sd you have explained needs cooling. Yes, I recall now REendes telling us about the change in the lamphouse for the 3-D

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Yes those tubes are for the exhausting of the digital projectors. We measured the temperature of the exhaust coming out of these at 124 degrees. The 6" ducts on top of the film projectors did not pull out enough. Instead, we tapped off the room exhaust vents and put 14" ducts in place for the primary exhaust. We used the existing 6" ducts for the secondary exhaust. With the digital projectors on, and film projectors off, it got up to around 84 degrees in the booth. Now it stays below 75.

The reason #4 has a different lamphouse is because the consoles for #2 & #3 were brought in strictly for 70MM and the 3-D, not for regular 35MM prints. They upgraded #4 for 35MM film.

JayFMould