Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 251 - 275 of 2,973 comments

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 11, 2012 at 4:17 am

Easy to forget Myron. It was an awful film.

Myron
Myron on January 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’m going nuts trying to remember which film played at the RCMH during Dec. 1954. My family went every December when I was a kid to visit the RCMH or the Roxy. We never saw “"There’s No Business Like Show Business” that December so we must have visited RCMH. What was playing? Where can I find a complete list of films which played at both theatres? I have a nice collection of programs given at both theatres. Unfortunately, I’m a pack rat and it would be quite a job to find them.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm

The Chase logo is EVERYWHERE in the building including the Chase logo shaped wreaths in the basement so I guess they still are….lol….

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Sad news indeed. On a lighter note, Delta Airlines is now the official airline of the Christmas show. Is Chase still a sponsor?

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thanks red155b always appreciate your imput

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

To hide the speakers and for projected images for the show.

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

If not Cirque why was it installed in the first place?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm

It was not up for cirque. Maybe it will stay up for the upcoming run though. Not sure. The LED wall for the video game has had problems so far but not with the content. Its been mostly mechanical. Effect is good. More depth of field than things coming out at you. The film is better for that.

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

Did they not install that additional part at the top of the proscenium to accomadate Cirque du Soleil? I understood that it would be removed when that show leaves in 2-3 years because it would better than removing it now and have to reinstalled when Cirque returns next summer. How has the 3-D LED screen been working has it been behaving properly? Looks like a magnificent effect

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 5:36 am

Cant put speakers behind the arch. No sound would get through. The fake arch is made of acoustically transparent material.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:51 am

One more question: is there a reason why these new speakers can’t be placed behind the original arches? I would tend to think there would be a lot of room in there…(though it probably isn’t easy to access).

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:37 am

Ah, I see—from rcdt55b’s comment (thank you) and this:

Makes me very nervous.

Glad that the speaker clusters are gone. Given a choice between the speaker clusters and this, I choose the new arch. The radiating arches are much clearer now.

Also very glad it is temporary and can be taken down to show the true architectural wonder of the room.

I imagine a great deal of thought, time, and effort went into creating it.

But (again) it makes me nervous.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 1:27 am

It’s temporary. It was put in place for two reasons……..for the candy cane effect during the show and to hide the speaker clusters.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:18 am

Call me old-fashioned and immature, but what is the reason for messing with something that has worked for nearly 80 years? The new arch is tacky-looking and belittling to the Music Hall. Take it away—now—please!!!

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 2, 2011 at 1:11 am

What in God’s name have they done to the proscenium?! It just doesn’t look right. I sincerely hope this is temporary?…

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

The stage shows and films! As a child my mother would take us when she could. “Airport”, “The Christmas Tree”, “Darling Lili” are just a few I can remember. In the late 70s/early 80s film retrospectives were shown. I recall being one of the few people in the orchestra level for a 10AM screening of “Cabaret”.

A dance teacher of mine was in the corps de ballet in the 1940s,and her husband Nicholas Daks was ballet master/director. She told us stories of the 5-6 shows a day, the rooftop garden, tennis courts, and the dorms for the performers to rest while the movie was showing.

Years later I had friends who were Rockettes,and I myself auditioned many times for various shows in the rehearsl halls upstairs

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Thanks for that responce I sorta thought they were cooling of some kind but they semed a-bit-much for that purpose,124 degrees yikes. Temperature was also a problem with the 70mm IMAX which ran off of platters. In order to keep the film from warping and sticking together on the platter we had to introduce enough humidity into the booth to turn it into an African rainforest. :)The new Digital IMAX of course does not have that problem but sd you have explained needs cooling. Yes, I recall now REendes telling us about the change in the lamphouse for the 3-D

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Yes those tubes are for the exhausting of the digital projectors. We measured the temperature of the exhaust coming out of these at 124 degrees. The 6" ducts on top of the film projectors did not pull out enough. Instead, we tapped off the room exhaust vents and put 14" ducts in place for the primary exhaust. We used the existing 6" ducts for the secondary exhaust. With the digital projectors on, and film projectors off, it got up to around 84 degrees in the booth. Now it stays below 75.

The reason #4 has a different lamphouse is because the consoles for #2 & #3 were brought in strictly for 70MM and the 3-D, not for regular 35MM prints. They upgraded #4 for 35MM film.

JayFMould
JayFMould on November 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Greetings Again

I’ll take a guess and say fresh air IN TO AREA

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Jay, You are referring to the xenon exhaust vents on the film projecors, What I am interested in are the giant tubes next to the digital machines If you look at the just posted pictures of the booth you will see what I mean.

JayFMould
JayFMould on November 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Greetings: Those tubes carry the heat and fumes of the burning arc lamps up and out of the booth. Those shown seem to be a lot larger then the ones I remember in the 60’s when I was one of the assistant managers there going up to get daily reports just into the start of the last feature every night.

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thanks rcdt55b for those booth pictures I enjoyed seeing those. Question if I may, what in the world are those huge tubes hanging down next to the digital projectors? They appear to be some sport of blowers to keep things cool? Also the lamp house for the #4 35/70 film projector looks different then the ones for #2 and 3 did you change that and why? I can see now why movies won’t be shown digitally with those projectors they seem to be for effects rather than projecting a movie. Best of luck with the shows have fun up there and of course please keep us informed

LuisV
LuisV on November 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I am attending a dress rehearsal for the Christmas Spectacular late this afternoon! Always excited to visit this palace of palaces!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 9, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Here are a few quick pictures