Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 251 - 275 of 3,419 comments

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 11, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I looked in the NY Times and saw it opened February 17, 1966. But when did it close?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 11, 2012 at 10:07 pm

With this new format I can’t look back at all past comments at once, so I appeal to a helpful CTer — when did Inside Daisy Clover play here? Thanks.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Not coincidental to the success of “The Valley of Decision”, Germany surrendered that week and audiences were optimistic and wanting to see the news.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

And that would mean an average ticket price of $10.44 in 2012 grosses. Not as far off the current price in NYC for a standard (non-IMAX, non 3-D) movie ticket, at least at first blush, as one might have thought. But, if there were still a movie and stageshow policy at a theater like the Music Hall today, I’m sure a considerable premium would be charged!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

In its first week of “The Valley of Decision” and stage show, RCMH grossed approximately $124,000, according to a report in The New York Times, which also noted that about 151,300 tickets were sold. Figuring in prices for reserved seats and children, that would mean an average admission of 82 cents. In 2012, $124,000 would be equal to about $1.58 million.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 3, 2012 at 10:08 am

Sixty-seven years ago today, two major MGM releases opened their world premiere engagements in New York City within 45 minutes of each other. Radio City Music Hall presented the B&W drama, “The Valley of Decision,” starring Greer Garson and Gregory Peck, with “Summer Idyll” featuring the resident company on stage. Less than an hour earlier, Vincente Minelli’s B&W “The Clock,” teaming Judy Garland and Robert Walker, opened at the Capitol Theatre, accompanied by a stage show topped by song stylist Jane Froman, comedian Willie Howard, and George Paxton & His Orchestra with crooner Alan Dale.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Later this year marks the 80th anniversary of this historic venue. Any celebration events?

Eric Evans
Eric Evans on April 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I’ve uploaded 3 photos from 1991,the projection equipment,spotlights & rewind bench. Sorry for the poor quality but any photo is better than none I guess.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 22, 2012 at 10:55 am

Seventy-five years ago today, David O. Selznick’s “A Star Is Born,” starring Fredric March and Janet Gaynor, opened its NYC premiere at RCMH. Photographed in Technicolor with William A, Wellman as director, the United Artists release was at least a partical remake of the B&W “What Price Hollywood?,” which Selznick had produced in 1932 while employed at RKO. The Music Hall’s stage revue, “La Vie Parisienne,” was produced by Leon Leonidoff, with settings by Bruno Maine. A new Walt Disney cartoon, “The Worm Turns,” provided a screen bonus.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Next week the NFL Draft will begin at the hall. This is a perfect location for such a big event, with most of the crowd die-hard NFL fans and media personell.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Seventy-three years ago today, WB’s “Dark Victory,” a B&W drama with Bette Davis in one of her most tear-inducing performances, opened its NYC premiere engagement at RCMH. A happier mood prevailed in Leon Leonidoff’s stage revue, “Salute to Spring,” which was divided into four scenes entitled “Going Dutch,” “April in the Park,” “Spring Nostalgia,” and “Blossom Time on the Potomac.” A sceen bonus was provided by the Walt Disney Technicolor cartoon, “Donald’s Lucky Day.”

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

The link to that TV documentary is divided into three parts, with brief pauses before the starts of the second and third episodes. Total running time is about one hour.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Here’s a link to a new TV documentary narrated by Lauren Bacall: jastongoodmantv

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 2, 2012 at 10:00 am

Seventy-six years ago today, the B&W “Little Lord Fauntleroy,” David O. Selznick’s first independent production for United Artists release, opened its NYC premiere engagement at RCMH as the Easter holiday attraction. Freddie Bartholomew, who came to prominence in Selznick’s MGM version of “David Copperfield,” played the title role, with a supporting cast including Dolores Costello Barrymore, C. Aubrey Smith, Guy Kibbee, and Mickey Rooney. The two-part stage show opened with “Glory of Easter,” followed by “Easter Parade,” which featured the entire RCMH stock company plus a special guest appearance by the prize-winning Joliet High School Band.

AGRoura
AGRoura on March 22, 2012 at 5:07 pm

About the comment some time ago re Deep In My Heart: The musical numbers are spectacular specially brothers Gene and Fred Kelly and Ann Miller as well as Ferrer in Jazza Dodoo.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 22, 2012 at 11:10 am

Sixty-seven years ago today, RCMH opened its annual Easter holiday show with the world premiere engagement of MGM’s B&W romantic comedy, “Without Love,” starring Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy and featuring Lucille Ball and Keenan Wynn. The two-part stage show opened with the sacred “Glory of Easter” (originally created by Leon Leonidoff for the Roxy Theatre), followed by the secular “Spring Is Here.”

LuisV
LuisV on March 14, 2012 at 11:06 am

I too remember seeing Crossed Swords at Radio City and liking it a lot as a young teen.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 14, 2012 at 9:55 am

Sixty-six years ago today, Columbia’s “Gilda,” with Rita Hayworth in the title role of what is now considered a “film noir” classic, opened its world premiere engagement at RCMH. Leonidoff’s stage revue, “Curtain Call,” included a tribute to St. Patrick’s Day and started with the overture to the opera “Merry Wives of Windsor.”

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Well, it does feature the great Johnny Whitaker! I had a crush on Jodie Foster at the time I saw it, too. I remember enjoying “Crossed Swords” a lot… but then, I was a big fan of the Richard Lester version of “The Three Musketeers” and its sequel. I have not seen the movie in nearly 35 years, so I am still looking back through eyes of a 13 year-old.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Ed, I think “Tom Sawyer” holds up. The rest, not so much.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I definitely saw “Tom Sawyer,” “Robin Hood,” “Mame,” “Paper Tiger,” and “Crossed Swords” at the Hall. I’ve seen a number of the other ‘70’s flicks listed in yours and Ron3853’s posts, but I’m not exactly confident that they were here. I all but forgot about “Paper Tiger,” which I remember starring David Niven and being incredibly boring as a child of 11 years. I fairly enjoyed the other films at the time. Not all that sure how any of them would hold up today!

I also remember driving by in someone’s car and seeing “Caravans” was the attraction. In my memory, I always thought this was the last presentation – and, as with “Crossed Swords,” may have been advertised as such. It wasn’t until joining CT that I learned “The Promise” actually held that honor.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 12, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Ed, Ron3853 ran this on July 18, 2004.

I then ran this in 2008: THE SUNSHINE BOYS ran until January 22, 1976 March 12- May 12, 1976 ROBIN AND MARIAN May 13- June 3, 1976 THE BLUE BIRD June 4- June 17, 1976 1776 June 18- July 28, 1976 HARRY & WALTER GO TO NEW YORK July 29- Sept 15, 1976 SWASHBUCKLER Sept 16- October 6, 1976 PAPER TIGER October 7- November 3, 1976 A MATTER OF TIME November 4-January 12, 1977 THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE March 3- March 30, 1977 MR. BILLION March 31 – April 27, 1977 THE LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES April 28- May 18, 1977 THE STING May 19- June 29, 1977 SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT June 30- September 15, 1977 MacARTHUR November 3- January 11, 1978 PETE’S DRAGON March 2- April 16, 1978 CROSSED SWORDS April 27- May 17, 1978 THE SEA GYSPSIES May 18- June 21, 1978 FANTASIA June 22- August 2, 1978 MATILDA August 3- ? THE MAGIC OF LASSIE November 2- January 17, 1979 CARAVANS March 8 – April 25, 1979 THE PROMISE

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Hey Al… Funny, I clicked on your link and started getting lost in the conversation that a few of us were having about this great theatre nearly 6 years ago! If you don’t mind saving me from flipping through all the intervening pages since that time, did you ever update your list of films at the Hall through the end of the 1970’s? The post I read ends with what I presume to be the Christmas holiday engagement of the musical “Scrooge,” in late November, 1970, which would be at the beginning of the era during which I saw a number of movies here.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

A 1979 book by Charles Francisco entitled “The Radio City Music Hall” had a filmography at the back, arranged year by year but with no specific months and days given. It has a few errors and/or omissions, but is about all I know of within one book. If you have time on your hands, I would suggest going to a library that has a computer link to the ProQuest “Historic Newspapers,” where you could easily track all the films at RCMH from the very beginning right up to the end in The New York Times.