AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 276 - 300 of 1,500 comments

JJD
JJD on March 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I don’t understand this continued hatred for 3D…nobody is forcing anybody to see a 3D movie. Go see the 2D version (or stay home). And, if you check the endless list of 3D movies coming out, it doesn’t appear that the format is slowing down anytime soon. If it is, it’s probably due to an abundance of crappy movies lately (even in 2D) and premium ticket prices. Also, I’m sure decisions are made all the time to favor newer movies (Battle L.A., Rango, Red Riding Hood) over older movies (Bieber, Gnomeo & Juliet) by adding extra screens. It just so happens these newer movies are in 2D and the older ones are in 3D. Don’t jump to conclusions.

fred1
fred1 on March 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Showtimes are up for this weekend. Mars Needs Moms isn’t showing in RealD 3D but in Liemax 3D. The Justin Bieber movie and Gnomeo and Juliet share one 3D screen. Looks like 3D is slowing down.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on March 8, 2011 at 2:58 am

Thanks Guys.having played “TAXI DRIVER” first run I really don’t want to see it again on the screen or Dvd,but you guys enjoy.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on March 8, 2011 at 2:18 am

Interesting, I like all the flashback stuff AMC has been doing and glad this theater has been one the AMC chains part of it.

Yeah, Battle LA should be cool in 4k.

Too bad Take Me Home Tonight tanked, I was surprised at how much I liked it and the audience seemed pretty pumped, definitely more than usual even for here. It’s almost like if had been able to get people to give it a look it would’ve done well, but I guess it didn’t generate the interest to draw people in to give it a shot. Oh well I guess that is it for any more new 80’s retros.

It’s been all flashbacks with Sixteen Candles and Take Me Home Tonight (of a sort) and next Taxi Driver (although this last one goes farther back than my time) hah.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 7, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Saturdays are usually the second busiest day of the year, behind Friday for most blockbuster movies. Family movies tend to do better on Saturday. Look at how Gnomeo and Juliet did over that weekend. It’s still showing legs. Rango is doing fine at the box office, although it’s more in the vein of a Dreamworks cartoon than Disney-like. Can’t wait to see Battle Los Angeles in 4k. Next weekend Taxi Driver returns with a debut in Rockaway with a restored 4k print before the Bluray debut of the Martin Scorsese classic, which starred a young Jodie Foster. More info at http://www.amctheatres.com/taxidriver

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on March 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Most Theatres are.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 2, 2011 at 11:30 am

Not really. It’s always busy on saturdays.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on March 2, 2011 at 3:51 am

Is this theater really doing so badly though?? Is that known fact or just wild speculation?

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on March 2, 2011 at 12:42 am

times change,at one time a family movie would a kiss of death back in my days,but much of the Disney product then was horrible.Remember “GUS”. Re-releases of Disney Classics would often be booked in be it “Lt.Robin Crusoe” or “Snow White”. Often indy films would play for a couple of weeks “SEARCH FOR NOAH’S ARK” and would be gone,These Films today start in a large house as I know you guys know and work itself down to 125 seat house,then to be shipped over to the Dollar Cinema Across town.In other Words, Family pictures often carry a PG rating which has no weight to it anymore compared to the PG pictures of my day,namely.“BILLY JACK”. Just a few comments from an old dogged theatre manager.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 1, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I agree. Something must be done to bring people into this theater. The only movies that I know that are filling the theaters are kids movies. Family movies tend to stay longer at this theater, as well as blockbuster movies that get good word of mouth.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on March 1, 2011 at 11:05 pm

It would be hard to imagine this theater failing. That would really suck. If everything is just done by online streaming or DVR or facebook I think something gets lost.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I agree. If you want to comment on the old Rockaway theater, head over to the AMC Inner/Outer 6 page, which has far fewer comments than this one. Don’t forget since attendance peaked during the 21st century in 2002 (when the outer 6 was open until May), competition from home and social media has transformed the way we watch and talk about movies. Not to mention advances in movie theater technology such as Digital 3D and Digital IMAX at a dangerous cost. The only stuff that is bringing people to this theater are the live events such as UFC, the Met Opera, a classic movie, that kind of stuff. THe next few years will tell what will happen to this theater in the next 10 years.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on March 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

That is unfortunate, especially with how high tickets are now. And the IMAX prices are just insane there. Does make you miss the old Inner/Outer 6 AMC which generally had some of the lowest prices anywhere and all sorts of twilight show specials at half the price of anybody else.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Just got an email from AMC saying that they will discontinue their Moviewatcher service at the end of March and introducing a new program called AMC Stubs, which requires new members to pay $12 a year to use the new service. Moviewatcher members can still get that one new year free and when it ends, there’s an option to pay $12 to renew the membership or cancel and use AMC giftcards and passes to go to the movies. This stinks. I always like Moviewatcher, as well as General Cinema Credits. This leaves the Regal Crown Club and other chains like Clearview as the only free loyalty programs left. AMC probably needs some money.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I agree rampagingbandicoot4. Raising the volume of an AV reciever to the respectable hearing level for watching cable TV is good hearing (normal volume for Bluray and DVD movies), but going to the movies and watching it on a very blurry screen with overloud surround sound (including previews such as The Adjustment Bureau that have a booming music track) is overkill. This is one reason why ratings for this year’s Oscars were down 7% vs. last year, when there was a huge big movie with blue people that lost to an Iraq war movie. With the war in Libya at full effect, except ticket prices to go up before summer time as March comes.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on February 26, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Justin, you couldn’t get good glasses,think they would throw away bad ones,good comments.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on February 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I hope they continue with the blast from the past stuff. I caught Sixteen Candles there couple weeks ago and it was pretty wild to see it on the giant screen with an audience (last time AMC Rockaway showed it was like ‘84 in the inner theaters I think, pretty wild). Sadly only about 30 people there (Sunday evening). It was a totally mixed crowd though, all ages. Sounded like half the audience had never seen it before and half had every line memorized.

But they didn’t exactly advertise it much. I only spotted it by chance at the last second and didn’t even have time to get anyone to go with me. I never even knew they had shown Back to the Future last Fall as well (and apparently Airplane too a few weeks ago). I guess it’s tricky though- don’t make money since knowbody knows it’s happening but to let enough people know about it means huge advertising costs and maybe more than you can make in special couple day releases (although at least digital helps, with real film the cost of reels alone would really make this sort of thing tough to pull off), but they need a way to get word out better.

But it worked well. The digital transmission worked out and it looked good. It was also nice to have an old 80’s mix where you don’t leave the theater hard of hearing as you do with even non-action flicks these days. I like loud, I mean people say wow you pump up the speakers when you listen to TV, but theaters today, especially AMC Rockaway and some others, just way overdo it. It’s so loud it just becomes uncomfortable and speakers get strainged too much and start sounding shrill and your ears ring and don;t work right for a few hours after you leave half the time.

Anyway, I’ve said more than enough for a month already.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 25, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I had the same thing happened to me when Tron Legacy came out I wore scratched glasses…..not a good thing.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on February 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I wonder if they are doing a bad job at cleaning off the IMAX 3D glasses or soemthing now.

When I saw Avatar and Alice there everything was awesome but when I saw a recent flick I saw lots of weird smeared glare on the glasses (and I tried a few different pairs, all the same, and moved around to try sitting in different parts, no differnce either). It’s probably jsut my imagination but I thought the brightness was pretty intense for the former two but not as much for the recent ones.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on February 25, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Do they still charge the crazy, insane $17 for the 2D stuff shown in the IMAX theater?

I hope not. It would be nice to see stuff on the largest screen, but $17 is a bit much considering that they didn’t really manage to make the screen all that much larger than the next largest screen there, still, maybe worth a little premium even as is, but if it’s $17 or 19 or whatever that’s just a rip they just didn’t have enough room to make it enough larger to be worth that sort of premium.

I wish they had listened to my advice to make at least one auditorium really giant sized. They should’ve kept the same height as on their tallest screens but made them 2.40:1 instead of 1.85:1 then they would’ve had like 72' or so starting point for screen width and left a little room up top in one of the auditioriums for the coming digital IMAX, then with changing things to IMAX they coulda fit a monster 75-80' 1.78:1 in there perhaps.

Anyone know the specs for the IMAX screen in there now? 60-62' wide 1.78:1????? Not bad by any means but a bit small for a real imax even just in terms of width and I think Manville has two 70' 2.40:1 screens so it’s not even the widest screen in NJ. I guess it might be close to the size of the famous old paramus triplex giant screen (at least 65' wide) that got split over the years and recently torn down so again not too bad, but still with freedom to start from scratch they should finally given NJ a truly top tier giant screen, youd think NJ would have the population and money to support it if little mid-western states can these days.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for the correction, rb4. A regular IMAX screen is just one big square, while digital IMAX is one big rectangle that’s identical to a super big HDTV. Has AMC replaced its so-called “HD” lenses with better ones? The closer I get to the screen, the more blurry it gets. Also, invest in better lightbulbs to power the projection.

rampagingbandicoot4
rampagingbandicoot4 on February 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm

“Another blown-up movie. Most of the movies that are listed on IMAX’s movie page are digital blown-up versions of the regular movies.”

It doesn’t make sense to use that distinction unless you are talking about a film IMAX theater though. It’s meaningless to say that if you are talking about the dIMAX at Rockaway.