Los Angeles Theatre

615 S. Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90014

ppops70s
ppops70s on April 28, 2004 at 6:22 pm

I am going to see Some Like it Hot there on June 2, sponsered by Turner Classic Movies. The Los Angeles Conservancy is hosting the event.

ppops70s
ppops70s on April 28, 2004 at 6:21 pm

Robert, did you ever go to the private screening room in teh basement?

RobertR
RobertR on April 28, 2004 at 6:19 pm

Paul, I was fortunate to have a projectionist friend who did the same for me. What a theatre it is.

ppops70s
ppops70s on April 28, 2004 at 6:05 pm

I use to go there in the 80s. A friend of mine worked there so I saw every room, including the balconies. Therer is a crying room on the balcony level. The seats are elevated so when kids were seated they could see the show behing an enclosed room with a glass window.

XvXMatthewXvX
XvXMatthewXvX on March 10, 2004 at 8:50 pm

if anyone has a direct contact with the owner/leasee of the theater please contact me at , I’m involved with a business opportunity and I’m looking for space – Thanks ( matt )

William
William on February 17, 2004 at 9:36 pm

You can see some of the lower lounge area in the movie “New York, New York”. And its been used many times in recent years as a music video and commerial location.

RobertR
RobertR on February 17, 2004 at 8:58 pm

I was given a tour of this theatre by a projectionist friend around 1990. Words cant describe theatres like this. One thing I found ammusing is that the size of the main mens room could accomidate ten of todays multi-plex sized theatres. Each stall had its own sink and mirror. To say they dont make them like this anymore is an understatement.

Knatcal
Knatcal on February 8, 2004 at 10:07 pm

I saw “El Jefe” here as part of the Los Angeles Conservancy’s Last Remaining Seats program. I also toured the interior during the Los Angeles Conservancy’s Broadway Behind-the-Scenes program. The relatively small exterior bellies the enormous interior with two balconies. In my opinion this is truly grandest theater on Broadway on Broadway.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 7, 2004 at 1:33 am

Scratch that address above.
Instead, click the link below.

Click on “Search the Database” on the bottom.
Allow it time to redirect.
Type in “Los Angeles Theater” in the space provided for the search.
On the “Keyword” drop-down menu, change it to “Subject Browse” and
click on the “Search” button.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 7, 2004 at 12:46 am

You can see historic photos of the theatre here.

It is from the Los Angeles Public Library.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 8:30 am

Was a relief projectionist there in the 70s and early 80s. The place will take your breath away… awesome…

PAULB
PAULB on January 23, 2004 at 2:35 pm

The last remaining seats site link is truly astonishing..thankyou!

sdoerr
sdoerr on November 30, 2003 at 1:57 am

WOW! That place is beautiful, I love the nice gold color it has to it. Just by looking at it, this is one of my favorites!

Gina
Gina on March 19, 2003 at 2:18 am

The Los Angeles is open and available for filming and live events. If you are interested in renting it and can’t find a contact for the manager, e-mail us and we will get you in touch with them!

William
William on October 2, 2002 at 9:07 pm

During the Los Angeles’s early years it was part of the Fox West Coast Theatres.

TomDavis
TomDavis on June 17, 2001 at 9:37 pm

My mother considered the Los Angeles so special that she set aside an entire day to take me to a matinee there in the late 1940’s. The interior is truly overwhelming, like the most opulent of opera houses.