Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 276 - 300 of 2,978 comments

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2011 at 8:25 am

Jay, You are referring to the xenon exhaust vents on the film projecors, What I am interested in are the giant tubes next to the digital machines If you look at the just posted pictures of the booth you will see what I mean.

JayFMould
JayFMould on November 10, 2011 at 7:53 am

Greetings: Those tubes carry the heat and fumes of the burning arc lamps up and out of the booth. Those shown seem to be a lot larger then the ones I remember in the 60’s when I was one of the assistant managers there going up to get daily reports just into the start of the last feature every night.

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2011 at 6:45 am

Thanks rcdt55b for those booth pictures I enjoyed seeing those. Question if I may, what in the world are those huge tubes hanging down next to the digital projectors? They appear to be some sport of blowers to keep things cool? Also the lamp house for the #4 35/70 film projector looks different then the ones for #2 and 3 did you change that and why? I can see now why movies won’t be shown digitally with those projectors they seem to be for effects rather than projecting a movie. Best of luck with the shows have fun up there and of course please keep us informed

LuisV
LuisV on November 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I am attending a dress rehearsal for the Christmas Spectacular late this afternoon! Always excited to visit this palace of palaces!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 9, 2011 at 11:50 am

Here are a few quick pictures

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm

No problem. Yes there is a new dance number among many other new things in the show. Hopefully, it will all get worked out by Friday because it’s been one hell of a time the last week or so……

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Not a prelude, but a new musical number to fit in the running time of the show. My mistake, rcdt55b.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm

What Rockettes Prologue? The show is not any longer as far as I know.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I just saw a tv commercial earlier this week during Jeopardy on ABC 7 promoting the new Rockette’s Journey prologue before the xmas show, which will make the show a bit longer. This show still attracts fans from all over the world. I’ve seen it like two or three times.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

The years do fly by! I remember going with my family to see Disney’s “Robin Hood” at the Hall during the Holiday season of 1973. As a young boy growing up in the 1970’s, I think that I manged to see just about every Easter or Christmas show the Hall presented during those final 8 or 9 years as a cinema.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 20, 2011 at 4:45 am

The digital projector company will store them in the off season and maintain and repair them, so it works out well. The projectors are using existing windows and portholes.

Vito
Vito on October 20, 2011 at 2:36 am

I am curious why take those machines apart an remove them rather than just cover them wih plastic and leasve them in place. Would they be of no use for anything other than the Christmas show? Also what does the port hole config look like now with those two extra projectors?

Vito
Vito on October 20, 2011 at 2:27 am

Thanks for that, I suppose the same problem exsists for the Hall to show movies from the booth I thought perhaps the light source had improved so that movies could be shown from there even thu we would of course prefer fim:) Still it5 must be impressive to see all 6 of the projectors side by side perhaps a Picture if you can? Tanks again for the info and please keep us informed as it is much appreciated.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

You are correct about Projectors 2,3, and 4. 4 being the primary projector for film screenings. The digital projectors will be removed after the christmas show and put into storage until next year. First mezz will still be used for screening any films on digital, unless they are film (like they should be).

Vito
Vito on October 19, 2011 at 11:23 am

Projector 5 as I recall was kind of the lost brother of the group with just a 35 projector head. So now if I understand you there is #1 which is straight 35mm followed by 2-3-4 which are 35/70 have I got that right? What will the light source for the additional digital projectors be and can/will they be used in the futute for movie presentations rather than the set up in the first Mezz which was the case in the past. I apprecaite your filling in on this stuff which interests ne a great deal. thanks

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 19, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yes, we did remove projector 5. 2 of the digital projectors are side by side there. The 3rd projector is next door in the spot booth. They will project on the walls and ceiling around the stage.

Vito
Vito on October 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

Thanks redt55b I appreciate that info. Kndly let us know more about how all that will be incorporated into the show. As to the three digtal projectors in the booth where will they be located and does it mean removal of any of the film projectors to make room for them.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 19, 2011 at 10:19 am

Yes, there are new digital projectors being installed. 8 on the choral stairs and 3 up in the booth. However, we are still running film for the 3-D. There is a lot of new content for the show this year.

Vito
Vito on October 19, 2011 at 4:30 am

Hi Mark nice hearing from you Any thing you find out would be appreciated

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 19, 2011 at 3:41 am

there’s no image of the hall, as the picture shows a broken image.

markp
markp on October 19, 2011 at 3:29 am

Hi Vito. Mark P. here, or as I was known before the new CT, movie534. Hope you are well. My wife is going to be working the show again as wardrobe, and got a letter detailing the changes to the show. My guess would be they got a digital projector installed, but thats just a guess. She will find out more when she goes in on the 31st.

Vito
Vito on October 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

We have seen the ads for the new Christamas show and I wondered if anyone working the Hall would be kind enough to tell us more about what to expect with the shows “new digital technologhy” and what if anything will be going on the the original booth Many thanks

AGRoura
AGRoura on October 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm

It is JOLSON, not Joltson, Momoviebuff82, I am correct, Al Jolson.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

you mean jolston story, agroura.