Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 276 - 300 of 3,422 comments

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hey Al… Funny, I clicked on your link and started getting lost in the conversation that a few of us were having about this great theatre nearly 6 years ago! If you don’t mind saving me from flipping through all the intervening pages since that time, did you ever update your list of films at the Hall through the end of the 1970’s? The post I read ends with what I presume to be the Christmas holiday engagement of the musical “Scrooge,” in late November, 1970, which would be at the beginning of the era during which I saw a number of movies here.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 11, 2012 at 6:52 am

A 1979 book by Charles Francisco entitled “The Radio City Music Hall” had a filmography at the back, arranged year by year but with no specific months and days given. It has a few errors and/or omissions, but is about all I know of within one book. If you have time on your hands, I would suggest going to a library that has a computer link to the ProQuest “Historic Newspapers,” where you could easily track all the films at RCMH from the very beginning right up to the end in The New York Times.

Myron
Myron on February 11, 2012 at 4:01 am

Thanks for the help. I agree “Deep in my Heart” was awful. We saw it later on at a local theater. So what what did we see that holiday week back in 1954? Was the “Country Girl” playing at the Criterion that week? Where is a list of what films played when at RCMH? I am retired as spend lots of time on nostalgia of those great films. Thanks again.

chspringer
chspringer on February 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

The bio part of the film was awful and Mel Ferrer was laughable, but the music was some of MGM’s best. Just my opinion.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Easy to forget Myron. It was an awful film.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 28, 2012 at 6:24 am

The 1954 Christmas film at RCMH was MGM’s all-star Technicolor biomusical, “Deep in My Heart,” with Jose Ferrer as composer Sigmund Romberg.

Myron
Myron on January 28, 2012 at 4:26 am

I’m going nuts trying to remember which film played at the RCMH during Dec. 1954. My family went every December when I was a kid to visit the RCMH or the Roxy. We never saw “"There’s No Business Like Show Business” that December so we must have visited RCMH. What was playing? Where can I find a complete list of films which played at both theatres? I have a nice collection of programs given at both theatres. Unfortunately, I’m a pack rat and it would be quite a job to find them.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 26, 2012 at 6:22 am

Seventy-three years ago today, George Stevens' B&W epic “Gunga Din,” now considered one of the classics of Hollywood’s Golden Age, opened its world premiere engagement at RCMH. The RKO release was the first of three Cary Grant films to open at RCMH in 1939, followed by Columbia’s “Only Angels Have Wings” and RKO’s “In Name Only.” The Music Hall’s stage revue with “Gunga Din” was Leon Leonidoff’s “The Waltz King,” a spectacular tribute to the beloved melodies of Johann Strauss.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 11, 2012 at 7:23 am

Half a century ago today, Mervyn LeRoy’s “A Majority of One,” a sentimental comedy teaming Rosalind Russell and Alec Guinness, opened its NYC premiere engagement at RCMH. The WB Technicolor release was based on a hit Broadway play that had been specially written as a showcase for the beloved radio and TV star Gertrude Berg (opposite Cedric Hardwicke). RCMH’s stage show consisted of “Salut a la France,” which included the entire resident company performing the Moulin Rouge nightclub’s version of “Le Can-Can” in the spectacular finale.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 10, 2012 at 7:59 am

Sixty years ago today, Cecil B. DeMille’s Technicolor spectacular, “The Greatest Show on Earth,” opened its world premiere engagement at RCMH. Due to the Paramount release’s running time of two hours and 33 minutes, Leonidoff’s stage revue, “Star-Spangled,” was alloted only 29 minutes in the program schedule.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Seventy-three years ago today, RCMH replaced its Christmas presentation with an entirely new screen and stage program, headed by “Topper Takes a Trip,” Hal Roach’s B&W United Artists release starring Roland Young and Constance Bennett. Leonidoff’s revue, “Dawn of a New Day,” paid tribute to the eagerly-awaited World’s Fair that would open in New York in the spring. By design, RCMH’s Christmas bill had been limited to one week only, with MGM’s B&W adaptation of “A Christmas Carol” as the film.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 14, 2011 at 7:52 am

On this day in 1939, RCMH opened its Christmas package with the world premiere engagement of MGM’s B&W musical, “Balalaika,” teaming Nelson Eddy with new star discovery Ilona Massey. Leon Leonidoff’s stage revue opened with “Peace on Earth,” featuring the pageant of the Nativity, followed by “Old King Cole,” which brought to life many of the beloved Mother Goose characters.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

The Chase logo is EVERYWHERE in the building including the Chase logo shaped wreaths in the basement so I guess they still are….lol….

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 5, 2011 at 11:26 am

Sad news indeed. On a lighter note, Delta Airlines is now the official airline of the Christmas show. Is Chase still a sponsor?

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

Michael Deskey, architect-son of Donald Deskey of RCMH fame, recently died: nytimes

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 8:25 am

Thanks red155b always appreciate your imput

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 7:17 am

To hide the speakers and for projected images for the show.

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 5:00 am

If not Cirque why was it installed in the first place?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 2, 2011 at 4:07 am

It was not up for cirque. Maybe it will stay up for the upcoming run though. Not sure. The LED wall for the video game has had problems so far but not with the content. Its been mostly mechanical. Effect is good. More depth of field than things coming out at you. The film is better for that.

Vito
Vito on December 2, 2011 at 2:26 am

Did they not install that additional part at the top of the proscenium to accomadate Cirque du Soleil? I understood that it would be removed when that show leaves in 2-3 years because it would better than removing it now and have to reinstalled when Cirque returns next summer. How has the 3-D LED screen been working has it been behaving properly? Looks like a magnificent effect

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Cant put speakers behind the arch. No sound would get through. The fake arch is made of acoustically transparent material.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 1, 2011 at 5:51 pm

One more question: is there a reason why these new speakers can’t be placed behind the original arches? I would tend to think there would be a lot of room in there…(though it probably isn’t easy to access).

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on December 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Ah, I see—from rcdt55b’s comment (thank you) and this:

Makes me very nervous.

Glad that the speaker clusters are gone. Given a choice between the speaker clusters and this, I choose the new arch. The radiating arches are much clearer now.

Also very glad it is temporary and can be taken down to show the true architectural wonder of the room.

I imagine a great deal of thought, time, and effort went into creating it.

But (again) it makes me nervous.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

It’s temporary. It was put in place for two reasons……..for the candy cane effect during the show and to hide the speaker clusters.