Radio City Music Hall

1260 6th Avenue,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 3,101 - 3,112 of 3,112 comments

Vito
Vito on February 1, 2004 at 9:37 am

There sems to be a bit of confusion in my mind regarding the Roxy and the Center theatres I am thinking perhaps they were not the same. Having lived in New York all my life I remember the Roxy all thru the 50s and60s but not the center. Weren’t they two different theatres? THe Roxy is the theatre that presented Cinemascope for the first time and played ice shows on stage, not the Center. I think the Center was demolished to make way for what later became Rockefeller Center and NBC had their TV studios there. Can anyone clear this up.

Vito
Vito on February 1, 2004 at 9:28 am

Thanks Warren, my only memory of the Roxy is post 1953 after the Cinemascope engagement of “The Robe” which was followed by a string of Fox Cinemascope films, Fox played all the big ones there with the smaller films going to the Paramount. Most if not all the Roxy stage shows, as I recall, were on ice, and yes I recall the stage was cosiderably smaller than the Hall. They now have tours of the great Music Hall, which includes backstage, if you are in New York it’s a must see.

Vito
Vito on January 31, 2004 at 2:39 pm

Quite right Warren, in fact movies playing at Radio City and Roxy were exclusive and no other theatre within a 100 miles could play those films at the same time. I also heard, but not sure of the fact, that “King Kong” was so big when it opened that it played at both theatres continuously. I knew someone who had been a projectionist at the hall during the 50s and 60s, when 3 or sometimes even 4 projectionists were on duty at all times running the four,later to become five, projectors. The film presentaion there was always perfect.

ERD
ERD on January 30, 2004 at 10:15 pm

I went to the MUSIC HALL many times through the 1950’s, 60’s, and 70’s. I still have many of the programs throughout those decades.
I and many friends signed petitions to save the theatre back in 1978. I was there on the evening that was suppose to be the final
show, It was a benefit performance for the Vairety CLub Foundatrion of New York.(April 18, 1978) Happily, the theatre was saved. S.L.“Roxy” Rothafel,father of the movie palace, got the idea for the
“SUNBURST” stage when watching the sun setting while aboard a ship.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on January 27, 2004 at 1:18 pm

I worked at the Music Hall as an usher during the Easter Show in ‘76. The film was Robin and Marian and even Pauling Kael was wondering what this was doing as a holiday film at Radio City. This while That’s Entertainment II(which should have been at the Music Hall) was playing a few blocks away at the Ziegfeld. At this point the stage show was a shadow of its former self and an embarrassment to all. It’s unfortunate that the present owners see no need to show films or resurrect the stage shows of Markert and Leonidoff(The Undersea and Rhapsody in Blue ballets were sensational.) The current Christmas show has no relation to what they did except for the Rockettes. The Living Nativity is a joke and deserves a big fat Bronx cheer from believers and non-believers alike. The original Nativity pageant was a Renaissance painting come to life.

Vito
Vito on January 27, 2004 at 11:03 am

The Music hall was one of the few theatres to install VistaVision projectors for the engagement of “White Christmas” in 1954.

RobertR
RobertR on January 9, 2004 at 11:51 am

The last fillm to play there was “The Promise”, starring Kathleen Quinlan.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 11, 2003 at 7:50 pm

I remember standing in line as a small child with my grandfather at Christmas time to see whatever movie happened to be playing along with the Rockettes Holiday show. There used to be a big Easter Show as well. Those lines would wind down 50th street and then turn into Rockefeller Plaza zig-zag back and forth like those ridiculous queues in Disney World during peak periods. Having been to Radio City years before I ever set foot in a theme park, I had never experienced the like before. I still have the souvenir program for what was to have been the final movie presentation at Radio City (a Prince and the Pauper story entitled “Crossed Swords”) back in 1978. Luckily, I never peeled off the “Final Attraction” sticker affixed to the front cover, even though the closing of the theater (temporary as it would be) wound up being delayed and at least one or two other features played there before it was reborn as a concert and special event venue.

Jean
Jean on October 27, 2002 at 5:27 am

Radio City had an Art Deco exposition in 1975. It was wonderful. SO many vendors selling all SORTS of Deco items. I still have the poster from the show. In the theatre, they played the original black and white movie “King Kong” which I believe premiered there in 1933?

John P Keating Jr
John P Keating Jr on December 2, 2001 at 10:25 am

In the 1950’s I saw Doris Day and James Cagney in Love Me Or Leave Me plus a stage show featuring the Rockettes. You could sit anywhere you liked and stay as long as you wanted.

Benjamingonski
Benjamingonski on November 27, 2001 at 7:25 am

Just a note to let you know how much I appreciated the hospitality shown to me Sat. 11/24. Since I ordered my tickets through the Polish American Citizens Club of Hadley last July, my back problem has gotten worse. An usher by the name of Ken Adell saw my plight, helped me up 2 steps and told me & my wife to wait there. About a minute later, he came back with a wheel chair and the rest is history. Unbelievable hospitality, especially with all the people you had to put up with. Ken actually went out of his way to help me. PLEASE, thank him for me. I first started going to the Christmas shows in 1947.

TomDavis
TomDavis on June 17, 2001 at 1:53 pm

What a place! Just going to the restroom was an artistic experience. In 1950 I saw a sneak preview of Marlon Brando’s first movie, “The Men,” at Radio City.