Pacific 1-2-3

6433 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on November 26, 2004 at 8:33 pm

This theatre is not closed and is being used on a regular basis for digital movie industry screenings. The Pacific is being used a movie theatre by people who love movies.Daily Variety lists the Pacific as one of the major screenings venues for the industry.brucec

BhillH20
BhillH20 on November 17, 2004 at 1:32 pm

The El Capitan, Hollywood Pantages, Grauman’s Chinese, Music Box, all have been restored to their glory days of yesteryear. Still waiting for the last of the grand movie palaces of Hollywood Boulevard to reclaim its past as well.

Tom10
Tom10 on October 17, 2004 at 12:18 pm

I saw a screening of “A Clockwork Orange” at the Pacific in December of 1971. The theater was still single screen at that time, and the place was packed for either a Friday or Saturday evening performance. I recall the crowd was a bit rowdy. We sat in the balcony. The lobby seemed small for the auditorium which was huge. Somewhere on the web is a site with black and white photos of the marquis and lobby for that “Clockwork Orange” run. I’ll try to find it again. “A Clockwork Orange” was a rather violent film for that era. Heck, it would still be violent. I’ve never seen it again. The first viewing was vivid enough. Emerging from the theater after the film, I looked up at the radio towers on the building looming in the darkness. It all had a noirish quality.

thomasl
thomasl on October 1, 2004 at 12:56 pm

As a boy, my Dad took our family to see every one of the Cineramas at the Warner Hollywood. Working as a sound engineer for Westrex in Hollywood, he had a deep appreciation of the Cineramas. The last film I remember seeing at the Warner was “How the West Was Won”, a 1964 epic with an all-star cast, and the last of the original type 3-camera Cineramas. By this point, huge red drapes covered what had once been magnificent romanesque columns. It seems sad that such a great organization as Cinema Treasures should be refering to the Warner Hollywood as the “Pacific 1-2-3”—for this was a true motion picture palace.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 18, 2004 at 9:10 pm

The restoration of the Pacific doesn’t have to cost $40 Million. The Pacific is in very good shape and not on its last leg like the New Amsterdam in New York was before Disney spent $30 Million to restore it and turn it into a state of the art broadway house. I think it would take between $8-12Million to restore the theatre and turn it into a single screen. To turn the Pacific into a broadway house would be between $20-30Million. I would love to see the origianl name Warner back on the theatre. I would even settle for Pacific Warner. I even think the Nederlanders could make better use of the Pacific than the Wilshire in Beverly Hills for broadway shows. I have always felt that Hollywood and Downtown should be the legit districts. The Fox-Wilshire would make a great house for movie premieres like the old days.brucec

rdstanton
rdstanton on July 21, 2004 at 2:10 pm

I worked as an usher at the Hollywood Pacific from 1979 to 1980. It was one of the best times of my life. Restore it!!! It was, and still is, a treasure. Whatever happened to the magnificent chandeliers?
RDS

paulm248
paulm248 on July 20, 2004 at 2:29 pm

The “Collateral” screenings are not open to the public; they are for the press and for the Cast & Crew of the movie.

Actually, we’ve been holding special studio screenings for a number of years but we are not open to the public. We’ve had thousands of people enjoy the latest in Digital Cinema projection here since that is our speciality.

Restoration is really not an option unless someone comes along with “very deep pockets”. It would cost in excess of $40 million just to bring it up to acceptable conditions. We know of no one willing to spend that kind of money for what may be a very low return.

rrichford
rrichford on July 20, 2004 at 11:13 am

Dreamworks will be hosting a screening of the Tom Cruise movie, Collateral, at the Pacific in late July. I think this is the first time a major studio is holding a screening there. Hopefully it will go smoothly and the theater will be seen as a viable place for premieres, and restoration will follow.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 14, 2004 at 10:14 am

You can read about the Digital Symposium and see pictures of the theater interior here:

It was a pleasure to see the theater where “2001” played in Hollywood for well over a year.

paulm248
paulm248 on June 24, 2004 at 10:20 am

As noted above, the Hollywood Pacific theater is in daily use for special testing of the future Digital Cinema technologies. It is the site of the “Digital Cinema Laboratory” of the Entertainment Technology Center a research group of the University of Southern California. The projection systems are all “state of the art” and have been viewed by many Hollywood insiders. Occasionally, the Entertainment Technology Center hosts Digital Cinema screenings for industry people and there have been a number of special events and film festivals hosted there. For more information go to: www.etcenter.org

Nightwriter
Nightwriter on May 20, 2004 at 10:21 am

This is a great theater, the front is no longer boarded up so you can see the lobby. This movie palace is the Queen of the Hollywood Theaters. It looks as though she is being presserved, if at least maintained.

edward
edward on May 8, 2004 at 3:28 pm

Definitely time to reopen this theatre as a legitimate theatre (preferably a digital projection theatre since they’ve been testing the technology here) and encourage the redevelopment of Hollywood Blvd which is still a tacky mess. Since it’s LA, I suppose parking is a big issue for any potential investors.
Do any interior photos exist of this theatre?

William
William on April 12, 2004 at 2:36 pm

Pacific Theatres has been trying to sell this theatre and building for the last decade. Remember the tri-plexing was done in the early half of 1978. When it was done fast without a lot of care for the ceiling area. Yes, it would make a wonderful premiere showcase. But if it ever gets to be restored, it would be better used like the Pantages Theatre for live Broadway type shows. Maybe with the lost of the Schubert Theatre in Century City. The Pacific Theatre may rise from the ashesof Hollywood Blvd.

tribecafilm
tribecafilm on March 28, 2004 at 10:05 am

THis could easily once again become a grand picture palace. Hollywood Boulevard is quickly improving and there will soon be a great market for a new old theater. I would see a profit in it for people would pay for tickets to a movie just to see the interior. This theater could once again hold glamorous premieres. I see this as a great opportunity for a profit and for the revitilization of Hollywood. Hopefully a company will have the brevity ot invest in it and preserve this gorgeous theater.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on March 6, 2004 at 6:18 pm

The Pacific could become a premiere house for the studios because of its capacity. Due to zoning and other problems Westwood will be hosting fewer premieres and the Pacific could become a glamorous screen again to host these events in Hollywood. Currently only the Cinerama Dome, El Capitan and Chinese host these events in Hollywood.The Pacific is the only unrestored major film palace in Hollywood.Maybe the redeveopment agency would help fund it to help revitalize this part of Hollywood Blvd.brucec

Lawrence
Lawrence on March 6, 2004 at 5:45 pm

With a prayer and an angel – maybe William the PACIFIC will rise again above the ashes of its current Hollywood location. I remember when the PACIFIC was the home of all NEW WORLD PICTURES early 1980
releases! I believe the film “ANGEL” premiered to a $20,000 opening week! “High School Student By Day, Hollywood Hooker By Night"
was the catchline. I know, because I worked for that studio!

William
William on February 10, 2004 at 10:45 am

Yes, the earthquake damage is fixable. But at the time that Pacific Theatres was operating the Hollywood Pacific. Two other things were happening, besides the earthquake damage. The MTA tunneling flooded the basement and Pacific had been looking for someone to buy the building (At the time the asking price was 14 million). William R. Forman owned a lot of Hollywood property. At one time the Hollywood Museum was to have been located in the upper floors of the building.

Having worked a few years at that theatre and being the last projectionist before it closed. I’ve been in it when the city had an earthquake. Most of the damage is some fallen plaster and ceiling tile in the balcony. The theatre is solid it goes down 3 flights below ground. Since the theatre and surrounding area was on a decline. Many of the many single screen theatres closed. Pacific Theatres operated the most. (Cinerama Dome, Hollywood Pacific 3, Pantages, Pix, Vine, New View, World). Mann Theatres operated only 6 screens and UA only had 3 screens and Loew’s 2 screens. Pacific did not want to put more money into the building. But since the Pantages and some of the area is coming back. They can make a killing on the last of the major palaces. The Hollywood Pacific Theatre can be a major player along with the Pantages. I’ve been all over the building back stage, in the basement. And it has the second best lobby in Hollywood after the Pantages.

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 4:02 pm

During the “2001” engagement at the Warner Cinerama Theatre (aka: Pacific 1,2,3) the seating was reduced to 1256 seats the main floor and the lower balcony area. The upper balcony was draped over.

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 10:23 am

The Hollywood Pacific Theatre is still being used by Entertainment Technology Center for digital projection.

RobertR
RobertR on February 5, 2004 at 8:58 am

Any updates on this theatre?

Lawrence
Lawrence on December 21, 2003 at 7:44 pm

New World Pictures “ANGEL” premiered at this house in the early 80’s.
Reduced to exploitation titles, this palace of yesteryear still survived and turned in exceptional grosses. I certainly hope that one day it can be returned to its origanal grandeur and become a treasure for all of us to enjoy once again.

edward
edward on November 2, 2003 at 5:52 pm

Carol Burnett’s First Job – “Usher at Warner Bros. Movie Theatre (later Pacific) on Hollywood Boulevard making 65 cents an hour."
(Age – 17 )
Most important thing learned:
"I wanted to make more money so I went across the street to the Iris Theatre and got a box office job for 75 cents an hour.
Her Hollywood Walk of Fame star is now in front of the Warner Bros. Theatre.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on November 1, 2003 at 3:56 pm

In 1967 I saw “Thorouly Modern Millie” in its road show engagement. The last film I saw at the Pacific was “Back to the Future 111”. I wish Warner Bros would do with this house what Disney did with the El Capitan. This would give Warners a prestige showcase in a revitalized Hollywood Blvd. It would also be a tribute to the Warner Bros who built the theatre. brucec

HarryLime
HarryLime on October 23, 2003 at 3:30 pm

Hey, Knat – before the board ate your comment, it was:
“Knatcal > May 10, 2003 4:40 PM EDT
In 1980, I saw "Moonraker” in one of the converted balcony theatres. The pitch of the theatre was steep. It was not a great place to see a movie. In the mid-1990s, I returned to the theatre to see some Sam Neil and Elle MacPherson movie I don’t remember just to see the theatre again. This was right before the theatre’s closing. The balcony conversion theatres had alreay been closed. I still remember the grandeur of the downstairs restrooms and lounge area and the lobby. Let’s hope that the Schubert Organiztion does revitalize this venue as it is definately worth perserving."

Knatcal
Knatcal on October 23, 2003 at 3:19 pm

In 1979 I saw “Moonracker” here in one of the converted balconies. I remember the pich of the seats toward the screen was drastic. I returned in 1994 to see “Sirens” just before the theater closed. Even as a child in 1979, and especially as an adult in 1994, I noticed the opulence of the downstairs restrooms that harkened to an older era in Hollywood.