AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

cofilms
cofilms on November 10, 2005 at 4:37 pm

To Whom it May Concern:–

In the past couple of hours I’ve been reading all about the
“old” movie palaces. It fascinates me. I only wish that something
could be done with the “ones” that are still standing! Namely the
former Loew’s Kings, on Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn. The theatre has
been declared a “landmark” & therefore can’t be torn down. I have passed the theatre many times, & each time that I did so, I wanted to
“cry”. The theatre which has been closed for 28yrs now-is slowly
deteriorating! I shutter to think of what it now looks like inside.
I was such a beautiful theatre, & how it could of been allowed to
deteriorate the way it has, is way beyond me.
With everything that I have read about the theatre, there’s not
a single person that get’s the capacity right. The theatre has a
capacity of 4,200 seats! Isn’t there a person out there that will
come-forth and revitalize this “magnificate” theatre. I also shutter
to think that several yrs ago, Magic Johnson was supposed to come & make a “multi-plex”, out of it. I’d rather see the place torn down!!

Sincerely,

Carmine

John Fink
John Fink on November 7, 2005 at 5:53 am

It happened because AMC is ultra efficiant in moving a picture around to a diffrent theater at a diffrent time, I’ve noted that. While it may apear a movie should be playing in the same theater all day (even if it apears to only be on a single screen) it’ll play in a larger house when its in a higher demand. It apears that since Andrea shows at 6:20 and 10:45 they slipped in Chicken Little at 8:45 and forgot to change over the reel.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 7, 2005 at 3:57 am

I heard that story too on the 10 o'clock news on Fox 5. What a shame that the theatre that was supposed to show a kid’s movie showed a horrible movie. Thankfully the patrons got a refund and saw another showing of chicken little. Thank god it didn’t affect the theatres where i live. New York is known for its great movie theatres, but showing an adult movie in front of a auditorium full of kids? That’s crazy. The sky is really falling at AMC Empire 25!

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on August 24, 2005 at 11:07 pm

the AMC/Loews combine will most likely sell off the E-Walk 15. The AMC Empire 25 is one of AMC theatres top theatres, along with the AMC Neshaminy 24 (in Bensalem) and the AMC 30 In The Block (in Orange, CA)

hardbop
hardbop on August 11, 2005 at 7:08 am

I had that problem last time I was at AMC. I had to leave the auditorium and find someone and tell them to turn off the lights.

I disagree. AMC is a great place to see a movie and it is disingenuous to divide the 5,000 seats by 25. Some of the salles are huge and others are tiny, but all have stadium seating and fairly large screens.

umbaba
umbaba on August 11, 2005 at 6:46 am

Talk about “broom closets”. I saw a screening of “Ben-Hur” a few years back. Figuring they would play such an epic on the Big Screen as it should have, they played it in one of their “broom closets”. On top of that, the picture kept loosing it’s framing and they didn’t turn the lights off. I had to get out of my seat 3 times to tell them. (High schoolers who know nothing of theaters as well as people who know nothing about movies)

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 10, 2005 at 10:53 pm

The sizes may vary but the rooms all seem pretty big, with large screens, stadium seating, high ceilings and great sound.

rlvjr
rlvjr on August 10, 2005 at 9:49 pm

With their wonderful lobby from the old EMPIRE theatre, the new AMC 25 screen complex is a good place to BUY A TICKET but methinks NOT a good place to SEE A MOVIE. Their near 5000 seats divides up into 200 per auditorium. Broom closets. But I give credit where credit is due: the 3 story lobby and entrance is both historic and beautiful —– in contrast with the new LOEW’S complex directly across the street, which offers little at the entrance and little inside.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on July 22, 2005 at 1:29 pm

42nd has always had some fun, creative programming. Here’s an Empire double bill when Liz Taylor broke up Debbie Reynolds' marriage to Eddie Fisher:

YMike
YMike on July 8, 2005 at 10:46 am

The AMC 25 is the highest grossing theatre in the country so I do not think AMC would give it up. The E-Walk is another matter.

hardbop
hardbop on July 8, 2005 at 9:45 am

I found it interesting that THE BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY has opened at the AMC and at the Quad. AMC must be desperate for product to fill all those screensif they are booking a movie that is also playing at the Quad.

On the other hand, given all the screens downtown, Angelika, Landmark and IFC, I am surprised that the Quad was able to get TBC. I would have thought that Sony Pictures Classics, which is distributing TBC, would have had the clout with those other, more high-profile downtown art houses to place TBC there.

CRONICOS is also opening at AMC, but it is opening downtown at the Angelika.

John Fink
John Fink on June 21, 2005 at 2:10 pm

Clearview wouldn’t go for it. Sell off the E-Walk, that theatre sucks. I hope this means Loews will start offering Moviewatchers. Loews theatres quality has declined shaply after they were sold off from the Sony Empire. I look foward to the AMC changes.

br91975
br91975 on June 21, 2005 at 9:42 am

The Kips Bay Theatre is a Loews property, as is the Orpheum at 3rd and 86th.

If AMC/Loews is forced to divest itself of either the E-Walk or the Empire, I suspect it’s the Empire they’d let go of, just on the sheer basis of its size. (Not that that wouldn’t represent a goldmine of an opportunity in the eyes of Philip Anschutz, the principal owner of Regal, or, they’re willing to make the investment, the Dolans and Clearview Cinemas/Cablevision/Rainbow Media…)

hardbop
hardbop on June 21, 2005 at 9:12 am

I imagine that the combined entity will have to divest itself of some theatres similar to the way Cinemaplex Odeon & Loew’s sold some of their theatres to Clearview when they merged.

In Manhattan, AMC only owns the 25-plex while Lowe’s has a number of ‘plexs, including W. 84th St., Lincoln Square, the E-Walk, the underattended W. 34th Street 'plex, 19th Street, the soon to be closed State and the East Village 'plex. I can’t remember if Kipp’s Bay is Regal or Loew’s and I can’t remember if Loew’s has a 'plex on the Upper East Side.

I imagine AMC/Loew’s will have to divest itself of either the E-Walk or the AMC 25-plex.

ErikH
ErikH on June 21, 2005 at 7:47 am

The merger of AMC and Loews has just been announced. Will be interesting to see how the deal affects bookings for the Empire and E-Walk.

John Fink
John Fink on June 1, 2005 at 7:25 pm

Actually ‘Top of the Empire" isn’t even always the case with those art products, AMC in their efforts to streamline will move a picture around during diffrent showtimes- fequently there are Hollywood movies playing on the top level and indies playing on the bottom levels, it depends on the movie, time of day, and antispiated audience.

The “Top of the Empire” was just a catagory in their showtime ads for their first year of operation, still most of the films I see there are art movies and I do have to travel up all those escalators to get there (I think 7, if I counted correctly, its unreal). I think though, that by being in Manhatten a theatre, especially a multiplex has to carry some exclusive bookings- even the Loews State in Times Square (the new 4 plex, when it first opened before E-Walk and Empire) would play a new art pictures as well as mainstream pictures, although I do agree if Loews E-Walk wasn’t a factor you would see less and less art pictures at the Empire.

br91975
br91975 on May 28, 2005 at 7:07 pm

The art films booked into the AMC Empire are, for the most part, a success, John, but their decision to show such films is driven by having a major competitor for and not being able to book every major studio film. If they could and they had the run of the Times Square booking zone, AMC would drop the specialty product – with maybe select exceptions – in a heartbeat.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 28, 2005 at 4:30 pm

I saw several of those opening attractions, including Casablanca and 42nd Street, which were great to see on a brand new screen with bright projection and the Eltinge auditorium as lobby, all on 42nd Street itself.

John Fink
John Fink on May 28, 2005 at 3:43 pm

AMC Empire 25 started its second phase at life on April 21, 2000, opening night attractions were: U-571, Gossip, Mission to Mars, Ready to Rumble, Pitch Black, Being John Malkovich, Beyond the Mat, Boiler Room, Drowning Mona, Family Tree, Ghost Dog, Price of Glory, Three Strikes, Tigger: The Movie, Trois, The 9th Gate, Cotton Mary, Me Myself I, All About My Mother, Casablanca, 10 Commandments, 42nd Street, and Topsy Turvy.

In responce to the other posters who claim AMC’s art products are just there to fill space, I assure you they fequently sell out and/or at near capacitity. Although most of the screens on that top floor (except for #25) are quite small, I’d say some as small as 80 or so seats. Still, this monster plex is the best in Manhatten, even though I hate Times Square.

ellie666
ellie666 on May 24, 2005 at 10:32 am

visited NY last weeks and was very impressed with this screen, especially screen 1. good stadium seating and a reasonable screen. shame that everytime we went atleast 1 of the sets of escelators was broken, huge waits to get out.

ErikH
ErikH on May 19, 2005 at 1:03 pm

According to the ad in today’s NY Times, the Empire is showing “Sith” on a whopping 11 screens (including two with digital projection).

hardbop
hardbop on May 19, 2005 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, I remember going to AMC for the obscure NED KELLY back in ‘04. It was in one of the smaller theaters and when I got there I was flabbergasted that it sold out. I thought I would outsmart myself and buy a ticket to another movie and then just attend NED KELLY. Well I did that and as I approached the auditorium a flustered manager stormed out and grabbed one of the employees and said “you are going to have to start checking tickets; start in the front row.” People either did the same thing I did or snuck into the auditorium after seeing something else.

In any event, seeing all the kerfuffle, I opted to see the movie I bought the ticket for, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF A SPOTLESS MIND.

br91975
br91975 on May 19, 2005 at 11:36 am

I presume, hardbop, that any of the more obscure titles AMC books into the Empire, hardbop, are just gravy; that is, any money they gross is welcome and the business they don’t draw is negated to some degree (whether or not to an overall profit for all 25 screens in total) by the Hollywood product they show in the other auditoriums. Some of the indie-type/specialty films do fairly well (I remember ‘A Mighty Wind’ selling out several shows during its opening weekend a couple of years ago and seeing ‘Better Luck Tomorrow’ around that time with a near-capacity, very enthusiastic group of fellow moviegoers) but the more obvious niche films are likely just there to fill space (and screens).