AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

Camden
Camden on July 15, 2004 at 4:35 pm

Wait a minute. For some reason I thought it faced the NEXT STREET OVER, I guess on 43rd Street, and there was nothing behind it for the time being on 42nd Street, so they could build the rails and roll it back and across the street. At least that what it looked like was happening to me to judge from the photographs. I’m under the impression that it was indeed one street over. I could’ve watched it, but I forgot about it that day, so I’m not really 100% sure, though. Oops. After spending ten minutes surfing the net, I finally called the theatre and, incredibly, got someone on the line that seemed to know. You’re right, it was on the same side of the same block and they just moved it down 180 feet. I could’ve sworn from looking at the pictures that it was across the street with nothing behind it to get in its way, but I was wrong. I hate being wrong, but it happens so seldom, of course…

Camden

Bway
Bway on July 15, 2004 at 4:09 am

If they moved it one street over, it would have been a real acomplishment!
200 feet is quite impresive in itself though.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 15, 2004 at 3:50 am

They moved it 200 feet west in the same block of 42nd Street. It was never “one street over.”

Camden
Camden on July 14, 2004 at 4:33 pm

Yes, they moved the building over on rails from one street over. Fantastic. They have a series of pictures of this somewhere inside the place, and they should run a short film of it before every show, or incorporate it into the introductory film to the feature (what a great idea). I agree that moving it over and converting it this way was a splendid idea, and it’s incredible that they actually did it. The lobby is extremely impressive. I was there when it opened and saw “Citizen Kane,” and I remember they were running “Twentieth Century” with Carole Lombard in one theatre, but no one would pay the ten bucks for films from the 30s, or at least not enough people to make it feasible, apparently. That’s unfortunate but I guess Times Square real estate is expensive. Much as I loved the old 80s Times Square freak show, it only seems natural that people can step out of the bus station and see actual movies. This place is a real asset, and it has so many screens that it’s usually the last theatre in which you can catch a film before it disappears. It’s weird that as you come out of the theatre you pass through a food court that could be anywhere in the country and doesn’t feel like New York at all. I do recommend the view from the top balcony overlooking Times Square, though. This is actually a great theatre, awesome by dint of its 25 screens.

Camden

umbaba
umbaba on July 5, 2004 at 3:05 am

I was there when it opened and they were showing classic films on some screens. I saw 42nd Street, Guns of Navarone (magnificent) they also showed Citizen kane, the 2 Godfathers, mean Streets, Cabaret etc….I thought, this is great. I saw Ben -Hur, they put it on the smallest screen there. I had to leave my seat 3 times, “turn off the lights”, “frame the film”.. the dunces in the lobby didn’t even look fazed. They were bored high schoollers wondering why they were in this crappy job.

Since then , no more classic movies. Just straight releases,a month after Scooby Doo opens it could still be seen on 4 screens there giving everyone an opportunity to pay their $10 for this….slop.

25 screens…you think they could devote at leat 1 to showing some great bigscreen classics. No, because it’s not financially lucrative and the theaters are run by people who only know the dollar sign and nothing about movies.

It’s much better when some one get’s himself shot in the leg. It’s publicity. yes, the front is cool but how many people really know it’s the classic Empire facade….for that matter, how many really care. 25 screens…..that theater soon enough will be a haven for the bad crowd.

Bway
Bway on July 4, 2004 at 2:12 am

It certainly is not a shame. It’s a perfect example of using an old building for a new use. It makes the new AMC unique, and not another uninteresting new multiplex, and perserves a piece of history at the same time. This is certainly better than if they had razed the Empire theater, and just started from scratch to build the multiplex, which is exactly what would have been done in decades past.

jmarellano
jmarellano on July 3, 2004 at 6:42 pm

A Shame? Why would you even consider it a shame?! Most likely the old Empire would have been torn down and nothing would be left if AMC didnt step in to build this megaplex in the shell of the Empire.

Bigdom78987
Bigdom78987 on July 3, 2004 at 5:35 pm

A shame what they did to sucha fine place.

Bway
Bway on April 19, 2004 at 1:31 pm

Both the interior and exterior of the Eltinge theater are original. Both the exterior and interior of the theater were landmarked by the city. When AMC did the renovation, the Eltinge theater were moved 200 feet, and then the multiplex built around it. The 900 seat “legit” playhouse of Julian Eltinge is the lobby of the AMC multiplex. People use the old theater space to get to their theaters using some zigzaggng escalators from floor to floor. The former balcony areas were converted to a cafe. So yes, the exterior and interior auditorium of the former Eltinge (Empire theater) ARE in fact the lobby for the new AMC multiplex.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 2, 2004 at 10:57 am

The introductory credits here are a bit cockeyed. Thomas Lamb was the architect of the original Eltinge Theatre, which was a “legit” playhouse and had only 880 seats. The seating capacity was later expanded to 950 when it became a movie house. The current 4,916-seat multiplex uses Lamb’s original facade and a bit of the lobby, but everything behind them is recently built and the work of other architects.

edward
edward on April 2, 2004 at 6:48 am

So much for cleaning up Times Square…

Mar 25, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) A 21-year-old man accidentally shot himself in the leg during a movie at a theater complex in Times Square, police said.
The man, Anthony Clarke, was watching “Dawn of the Dead” at AMC Empire 25 when he was shot by the .25-caliber handgun at about 10 p.m. Wednesday, police said.
Clarke, of Brooklyn, was taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital in stable condition with a gunshot wound to his left leg, police said.
Police said they were charging him with criminal possession of a weapon.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 2, 2004 at 6:12 am

In the 1940s, the Eltinge became one of the most popular theatres on 42nd Street under the name of the Laffmovie. The programs changed once or twice a week, and consisted solely of three hours of comedy features, shorts and cartoons. The policy remained for about 12 years, after which the theatre switched to conventional double features as the Empire. The Empire was previously the name of a beloved legit theatre at Broadway & 40th Street, which had just been demolished.

RobertR
RobertR on April 2, 2004 at 5:36 am

You keep saying turned back into a single theatre, read all the posts turn what back, this was really a new construction, with a reused facade and shell.

edward
edward on March 26, 2004 at 10:28 am

This project has good intentions but with poor results. Why not keep the theatre as the largest screen of the multiplex? Gutting it for a lobby is a pretty uninspired tradeoff by the developers.

RobertR
RobertR on February 17, 2004 at 9:29 am

Number one with Carnige Hall, Lincoln Center and dozens of other smaller venues new York does not need another symphoney concert hall. Number two if you read the description this theatre was built as a cinema from nothing but a shell. What is it that you propose is converted into a concert hall? You obviously have little regard for motion picture theatres.

fred1
fred1 on February 17, 2004 at 7:11 am

a beautiful theater worthy of the big apple

JOY
JOY on November 6, 2002 at 12:33 pm

i can’t wait to see The Debut!!!
CHECK IT OUT!!!
=)
J~*loca hapa luv

TOBY1939
TOBY1939 on January 26, 2002 at 6:42 am

I go to AMC25 42nd Street all the time. I’m 62 and enjoy the senior discount. I saw “IN THE BEDROOM” at Theater No. 14 last night. I was there early and heard a young woman singing with guitar accompaniment. SHe sounded exactly like a young woman I know who sings exactly the same tupe songs. She has a CD out now, just starting in the music business. I told her she might well be doing this, marketing her CD to a theater chain that would play her songs before movie showings, in-between movie showings. How can she get in touch with the right people about doing this. DIrectly to you or is there someone you can refer her to. Her e mail address is:

. You can reply to me a well since I am very interested too. Her singing and guitar playing, to me, is every bit as good as what I heard last night. Tell me how she can get her music marked, to whom, etc., so that she can be heard in the same way, during these movie breaks. Believe me, she is well worth it!

I enjoy AMC25 so much! I also enjoy going to the new Times Square Cafe. I am going there today, in fact!

So, please help a fine artist get a break. Her name is Val Gomes (pronounced like homes)

Thanks again!

Toby Van Buren ()

Madeline
Madeline on November 24, 2001 at 12:21 pm

I saw the picture of the AMC EMPIRE 25 and marveled. The facade and lobby were a part of the old ELTINGE THEATRE, which was named for the female impersonator JULIAN ELTINGE. Very ironic too that the female impersonator, RUPAUL is featured in MADAME TUSSAUD’S WAX MUSEUM at the megaplex. WOW! Learn more about Eltinge at www.julianeltinge.com. It’s fantastic! CINEMA TREASURES is marvelous!!

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on February 12, 2001 at 6:03 am

If you visit this theater, you have to check out the outdoor promenade on the top level. Stunning views of Times Square—from twelve stories up!