AMC Loews Uptown 1

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

carolgrau
carolgrau on July 3, 2005 at 3:04 am

I have never heard of such a thing as 2 different prints, for one thing it would cost to much and theatre companies are not going to spend more than they have to. Keith is right, one misthread, plus no one in the booth to keep an eye on the running of the print, and guess what,there goes your print. I have seen it happen more times than I can remember.
Dave Grau (Mungo)
Norelco

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on July 2, 2005 at 6:08 am

I saw the movie on Wed and the movie had no scratches. So the person that said it had scratches must had seen it when a projectionist was running it. I heard that the projectionist have there print and the manager’s have there print. I saw the manager’s print and no scratches.

carolgrau
carolgrau on June 30, 2005 at 3:48 pm

Way to go Keith, you still got it pal.
Mungo

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on June 29, 2005 at 10:05 pm

Forget about the theatre – who cares about “King Kong”?? – a re-make of a re-make [yawn].

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on June 29, 2005 at 5:45 pm

Who cares if King Kong is coming to the Uptown? With its current lousy projection and sound standards, I’ll stick to my closer, better sounding and looking (especially if its in DLP) multiplex movie screen, thank you.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on June 29, 2005 at 3:59 pm

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you take the qualified, union operators out of the booth and replace them with managers and concessionists that do not know what they are doing. They do this because they know people will still go to the theater. They will complain, but they will still go. Say goodbye to the perfect presentations. They are a thing of the past.

deleted user
[Deleted] on June 29, 2005 at 4:25 am

Universal presents KING KONG. World Premiere Monday, 12 December 2005 Ziegfeld Theatre, New York City. Regular performances start Wednesday, 14 December 2005 at the Ziegfeld Theatre, New York, the Cinerama Dome, Hollywood, CA, Seattle Cinerama and Uptown Theatre, Washington, DC.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on June 29, 2005 at 1:24 am

Oh OK, you’re right – I didn’t have the paper in front of me, since the Copley recently closed I thought it came from there.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on June 29, 2005 at 12:54 am

If you mean this chandelier, the Loews press release says it formerly hung in Boston’s Cheri theatre, not Copley Place.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on June 28, 2005 at 11:34 pm

The chandelier mentioned in Keith Maddens post above, was originally in the Loew’s Capitol in New York City, and more recently in the Copley Place theatre in Boston.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on June 28, 2005 at 8:24 pm

Having returned from a mid-week, evening showing of “Revenge of the Sith,” I’m sad to report that things haven’t changed a whole lot at this theater. The presentation was a disappointment all around. The movie was scratchy, blotchy and had a noticeable line running down the middle during previews and at the end credits. I realize this is a dark movie, both in subject matter and lighting, but in many of the scenes, especially during the one where Sidious reveals his true self to Anakin, the costumes were too dark. No texture differences, washed out color. The digital projection of this film was so much better hands down. The only saving grace to watching this film, at this theater, is its enormous screen size. It draws you in, but the horrible picture and sound brings you back to reality like a slap in the face. sigh

The sound was subdued even though this was supposedly an event film. Given the fact there may have been less than 20 in the audience, in a theater that could seat 800 or so, I guess whomever was responsible for the audio settings just turned it down. A waste of my $9.50.

KeithMadden
KeithMadden on June 24, 2005 at 7:14 am

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with The Aviator at the Uptown. Sadly this was not an isolated incident. Loews wisely chose to schedule projectionists full time for the opening weeks of Star Wars at the Uptown. The print remained flawless unlike those for all of the other features since the beginning of the year when they installed a platter and made “managers” run the equipment.

Loews recently began cutting back projectionist hours again. War of the Worlds opens next. Unfortunately all it takes is one misthread to scratch a print. Out of frame, out of focus, out of every other spec seems to be the accepted norm at multi screen mall complexes but it seems such a shame to have it happen at the Uptown where quality presentation was taken for granted.

To their credit Loews lifted an antique chandelier from one of the theaters it closed in New York City and it now adorns the Uptown lobby. Ultimately however what keeps the audiences coming back is the light on the giant screen not the light in the lobby.

Interesting development this week, AMC and Loews have announced plans to merge. How will the new stewards of this grand olde dame treat her?

davgar
davgar on June 22, 2005 at 7:05 pm

Would love to hear how the projection situation is going there now. I was actually in one of the audiences when The Aviator showed and had to ask the manager repeatedly to get the film centered on the screen, and later got to see when a reel got out of registration and the screen was a full blur. Wondering if things have changed there at all…..

Coate
Coate on June 21, 2005 at 6:20 am

The Uptown was among the theatres included in the original limited-market launch of “Star Wars.” The Uptown’s 5/25/77 opening-day gross, as reported in Daily Variety, was a house record $12,896.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2005 at 2:24 pm

These pictures of the Uptown were taken on November 10, 2001, the last time “2001” played there:

BeltwayBrian
BeltwayBrian on May 26, 2005 at 11:14 am

Incredible viewing experience! I will see every possible movie at this theater that I am able to. I suggest you do the same. Almost a full house for a Wednesday 6:30 showing of Star Wars. Fantastic…I’m glad the community comes out to support this theater!

BeltwayBrian
BeltwayBrian on May 25, 2005 at 9:13 am

How can we get Lowe’s out and someone esle in? I have never been to the Uptown but after reading about it here for the first time I might just go tonight to see Star Wars. Does this theater, or rather, Lowes hold film fests? Possibly after summer? I am so jonesing to go to this theater I might leave work early…I am just drooling! 70 ft screen….WOW!!!

Meredith
Meredith on May 11, 2005 at 2:33 pm

I love going to the Uptown, but sadly, Loews seems to be killing it. I’ve heard enough about the mice that I won’t buy anything from their stands anymore or allow my friends to do so when we go. Which is getting rarer and rarer, because I have no desire to see the movies they book. (Aviator? Not a chance. The Interpreter? No thanks.) They almost didn’t get Star Wars. I really don’t think it’s going to last much longer.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on May 10, 2005 at 3:19 pm

Yes, they are showing it starting with a 12:01 AM show that is sold out. Since they’ve gone to a platter system, I suspect the projection qualities aren’t quite up to decent standards. I’m going to see it in DLP and then at Baltimore’s Senator Theater, then maybe the Uptown, unless someone has a post that indicates the picture and sound are bad first. My experience seeing Attack of the Clones, in ‘02, here was quite bad.

frostbyte
frostbyte on May 10, 2005 at 1:29 pm

In 1977, I saw “Star Wars” at the Uptown. I wonder if they plan on showing “Revenge of the Sith”?

Coate
Coate on May 4, 2005 at 12:05 am

“ ‘2001: A Space Odyssey,’ which had its world premiere at the Uptown on April 1, 1968…and played there for 18 months or so.”

“I thought 2001 had its world premiere in the Loew’s Cinerama in NY.”

The world premiere of “2001” was on April 2, 1968. The Uptown engagement ran for 51 weeks.

The three premieres for the film’s first-week release were…
DC: April 2
NY: April 3
LA: April 4

For more about the original roadshow release of “2001” I recommend the following article/list. Be sure to click the link to the engagement list, which is page two of the article.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on April 11, 2005 at 5:20 pm

The person that told me that Dupont is closing in six week heard wrong.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on April 10, 2005 at 8:35 am

I heard yesterday that Uptown will be opening at 6pm starting this week or next week. Also that the Dupont Theatre is closing in 6 Weeks for good.

carolgrau
carolgrau on April 5, 2005 at 3:49 pm

RCDTJ, could not have said it better. Thanks.
Dave Grau (Mungo)