Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 18, 2018 at 9:23 pm

MC I believe that advert was ‘76 not '77(correct me if I’m wrong). That was the ad used for the Rivoli where I saw the film in Oct of that year. It was Columbus Day.

It was an overwhelming experience and at the end the print said Cinerama with the logo. I remember this distinctly because I had never seen a Cinerama film. I believe two years later when the Rivoli had it again they might have used a smaller screen because it was not nearly as impressive and at the end it said 70mm. In fact I believe it said Super Panavision 70.

Somebody on this site said that Sweet Charity used a smaller screen because Universal did not want to pay for the D150 screen. Of course the specifics and accuracy of all this minutiae is lost with time.

MSC77
MSC77 on August 18, 2018 at 8:00 pm

bigjoe59:
Audiences in as many as eight cities would’ve seen the original cut (during the initial days of their lengthy engagements). Benson’s new “Space Odyssey” book addresses this as do I in my 1968: A Roadshow Odyssey article.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 17, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Hello-

thanks to Bill H. for his info. I had always thought that the only engagement that used the original cut was the world premiere engagement in D.C. if the original cut did in fact play the Capitol for a few days I might seen it.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 17, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Today marks the 79th anniversary of one of the Capitol’s most legendary presentations. Ad here

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 25, 2018 at 11:49 pm

The long cut also played at the Capitol for a couple of days. Kubrick shortened the film in New York City, in the basement of the MGM building, about 7 blocks from the Capitol.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 25, 2018 at 10:37 pm

The new print is the same length since Kubrick himself made that cut, NOT any restored footage that was cut after world premiere. As to the cut footage, http://www.slashfilm.com/17-minutes-lost-2001-space-odyssey-footage/

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 25, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Hello-

I apologize if this question has already been asked. the recent 50th Anniversary 70MM print of 2001 was of the 2hr. 25min. cut ever knows. if I am not mistaken the only time the original 2hr. 40min. cut was used was for the World Premiere engagement at the Uptown in D.C.. now was it ever written about what the cut 15mins. contained?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 24, 2018 at 10:22 am

The Roxy’s Cinemiracle screen for “Windjammer” was reported to be 100 feet wide. But it was in use only for a few months and was removed immediately following the 23-week run of that movie. The Roxy’s regular wide screen, initially installed for “The Robe”, was 68x24 feet. This screen was able to be flown out and allowed the stage to be used for the Roxy’s stage shows.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 24, 2018 at 9:17 am

I haven’t read the intro in a while. Thank you. Was that NY’s widest screen? And I thought the Warner Cinerama was impressive at about 81 feet. The Rivoli was small in comparison. Anybody know the sizes of the 70MM screens of the DeMille, Loew’s State before twinning and Criterion? And what about the size of the screen for Windjammer at the Roxy?

Still would like to know how more modest 35MM films played at the Capitol.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 23, 2018 at 11:43 pm

years ago, I put the screen sizes in the Intro above.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 23, 2018 at 11:10 pm

From photos that screen looks humongous. I’d like to know the measurements. I also wonder how grainy Zhivago was as a blow up on that screen. Anybody see it there?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 23, 2018 at 2:25 pm

I’ve seen photos of the Capitol screen when The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm played there in 3-strip, and I’m pretty sure it was the same screen on which I saw 2001 in 70mm Cinerama.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 23, 2018 at 2:22 pm

I was wondering a similar thing. When a 70mm blowup like Doctor Zhivago played the Capitol, did it fill the entire screen space the way 2001 in 70mm Cinerama did?

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 23, 2018 at 2:04 pm

For those of you who were going to the Capitol in the ‘60s being that the Capitol was converted to 3 strip Cinerama and then was pretty much a single 70MM/Cinerama house I was wondering when they presented a film like Sergeants 3 or In the Heat of the Night was the Cinerama screen simply using black borders made smaller according to whether it was in Panavision or 1:85.1 ratio? Also did they install a new screen screen change when they went from 3 strip to single lens Cinerama? Thank you.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 17, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Mark, thanks for that great compliment. By the way, I am going to see it today in Paramus. I’ve got to see it in as many different theaters as I can!

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 16, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Bill, you actually have taken us back. Your descriptions make me feel like I was there! Thanks for that.

FYI: If you didn’t know: 2001 is still running at the Village East, at least through June 21, per their website. Also it is now at the AMC Garden State 16 in Paramus, June 16-19.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Thanks, NYer! Haven’t got too many anniversaries like this. Only other movie one is Star Wars (5/25/1977). I have a couple of album ones, like Sgt. Pepper’s (6/1/1967) and Led Zeppelin IV (11/8/1971).

NYer
NYer on June 15, 2018 at 4:09 pm

But Bill, in a very often dark world, you have a great memory that brings you joy. That’s the magic of movies and the cinema treasures we saw them in. Happy Anniversary!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2018 at 3:42 pm

You’re right. If I could, I’d take back everyone who ever posted on this Capitol Theatre page.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 15, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Hey you got your chance. I’m the one who needs that time machine!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2018 at 1:39 pm

June 15, 1968, 1:30 PM: today is my personal 50th anniversary with “2001” and the Capitol. An incomparable movie/theater combination. Who’s got a time machine?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 13, 2018 at 6:50 pm

For three out of the past four weeks, the highest grossing movie in the US based on per-screen average has been “2001”. If only Stanley were still alive to see this.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 27, 2018 at 5:38 pm

The Oakbrook was a wonderful theatre & screen! Then they chopped it up & then torn it down for a Cheesecake Factory. Now a dine-in AMC was carved into the top floor of the Sears store there. Too bad these xtra-large screens are only a memory! I would think a once-a-month classic film at Radio City would draw big crowds. I am surprised they don’t try it. It would fill the empty seats for all the days that the theatre isn’t doing anything…Imagine the sales at the refreshment counter & liquor sales alone!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 25, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Yes, that’s one of the perks of being born in 1954. Actually, I wish I’d been born a few years earlier. Then I’d have been able to see The Ten Commandments at the Criterion, North by Northwest at Radio City, Ben-Hur at the Loew’s State, Doctor Zhivago at the Capitol, etc.

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 24, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Odd Couple at the Music Hall. 2001 at the Capitol.

This is killing me.