TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,472 comments

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on August 5, 2014 at 11:18 am

Dear LoveCinema, Thanks for sharing your first time in the Chinese. I agree, it is a magical place! I have been going since I was a kid and I still feel a sense of awe when I walk in the auditorium!
Let me assure you that the changes that were made in 2013 did not harm any of the historic details of the theatre at all! In fact, great care was taken to protect the beautiful theatre. The new work was done with taste and it honors the original design. In fact, in some ways, it looks closer to the original than what you saw in 1982. The L.A. Historic Theatre Foundation awarded the Chinese with our Theatre of the Year award for the great work done to protect the Chinese.
I hope you have another chance to come to Hollywood and experience the Chinese, and while you are here, see some of the other gorgeous movie palaces in Los Angeles! We have so many treasures! Please visit our site for some pictures and information on events and tours: www.LAHTF.org

LoveCinema
LoveCinema on August 5, 2014 at 4:19 am

Back in 1982 my twinsister and two friends travelled through the States. All was organised by ourselfes and our journey,(which was a “lifetime” never to forget adventure, was titled “1982-What a way to go….to Hollywood”. Arriving in Los Angeles with “Pater Brown” (the used car we bought in Arizona named after it’s owner before, who was a priest) we headed straight for “Graumann’s Chinese Theatre”, which I only knew from the Movies to be shown at my Grandparents Cinemas back in Germany. Before starting the journey we promised Martin, our projectionist, who unfortunately couldn’t attend the journey, to bring back an original “Graumans Chinese Theatre” Ticket. Only to find out at the lovely ticket- booth outside that it was impossible to just buy the thing and walk away again. So my sister and I decided to buy three tickets and watch the show.

The movie to be seen was “TRON”.

I will never ever forget the first look inside the beautiful foyer. We were made so welcome there. Had a talk with the Manager and before entering the Auditorium we were invited to have a look inside the Projection-booth. Entering the Auditorium, I gasped for air, as I had never ever seen such a huge and such a beautiful designed Auditorium. Walking down the aisles was like walking on clouds. I couldn’t believe that I was actuelly h e r e…until the curtain opened….and then I knew I was in “Cinema-Heaven”. I didn’t actually “see” “TRON”, I experienced it, with the mighty sound-system, on that huge Screen, presented in the highly skilled technology at that time. Unforgetable….! A never to forget visit at “Graumans Chinese Theatre”, just like our journey was. I wasn’t able to visit it again. Recently I found out about the severe changes this historic landmark had to undergo. It’ll never be the same again.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on May 9, 2014 at 11:39 am

Sorry Mark, the Chinese is not listed under Pacific Theaters/Arclight section this week, it is only listed under “Independent Theaters” section. I have not seen it listed under Pacific Theaters for a few weeks now.

markinthedark
markinthedark on May 8, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Who wants to take a picture and post the Friday LA Times Arclight/Pacific ad featuring the Chinese Theaters? Would love to see how they feature them compared to the other theaters.

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 8, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Well, it was also beneficial for Arclight to break away from the Chinese because it also allows them access to Disney now (which they didn’t have before). After losing Avengers and Iron Man 3 to the El Capitan, they were able to get Thor, Captain America, Muppets Most Wanted, and eventually Star Wars, Pixar, and the rest. Had the Chinese never IMAX’d and the booking district split, Arclight would almost certainly never had any of those films. I’m sure that’s worth, long term, whatever attendance might get pulled by the Chinese now.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Mark: They’ve been double booking ArcLight & Chinese since “Gravity” opened. Surreal, I know.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 29, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I too miss the old Calendar section that listed all the theaters including AMC which no longer uses print. Which made me think of the below….

BTW – Geek Alert that a few of us might like. If you use the Fandango IPad App (this doesnt work on the website or the iphone app)when you select your Theater and movie time it will tell you the Auditorium number the movie will play in. For me, this is a huge geek gadget. I can now pick any theater and I do not have to call them to ask what is playing in what Auditorium, i just look on Fandango and it is there. Finally a way to find out what auditorium is showing what movie.

Back to The Chinese, Does everyone know that the Chinese 6 (upstairs multiplex) appears to have Dolby Atmos installed in Auditorium #1? I saw it listed when they played Gravity, I called and they said it was only for this engagement. Now I see that Capt America is advertised in ATMOS. Great news, as I have fallen hard for ATMOS.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on April 29, 2014 at 8:13 am

When they duel book titles with the Chinese, Arclight Hollywood still pulls in much larger audiences; plus, they receive money from booking the Chinese/the benefits of being able to book an additional house with the tittle. On those occasions when a movie is only booked at the Chinese, the Arclight Hollywood usually has a full slate booked for itself, receives money from the Chinese booking, and reaps the booking perks of having that house available for the movie. It’s a win/win for the Arclight/Pacific group, as the Chinese doesn’t impact their business levels to any notable degree, pays them for booking, and provides another venue to shore up their buying clout (a high profile venue at that).

markinthedark
markinthedark on April 28, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Seems odd because there is an Arclight (direct competition) just around the corner from the Chinese. Why would they attempt to book desired films at the Chinese when they weigh preference on the Arclight/Cinerama Dome?

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on April 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm

markinthedark – “So essentially does this mean Pacific/Arclight books and manages the place and splits the profits (if any) with the owners?”

Pacific/Archlight is just the “film buyer” and likely has a marketing deal in place too (i.e. why the Chinese is included in their advertising). The Chinese has its' own management, staff, etc. Many independent operators utilize outside “film buyers”, as there is more leverage through pooling resources (i.e. the more theatres, the greater the buying power). Smaller operators often contract out their purchasing, human resources, etc. for the same reason.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I stopped buying the LA Times a couple of years ago. The legendary Calendar section is a pale imitation of its former self. I now get my showtimes and whatnot via the internet like everyone else.

markinthedark
markinthedark on April 28, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Thanks. Up in Seattle now and I miss the LA Times Theatre ads on Fridays.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 28, 2014 at 11:16 am

Hey Mark They have not been consistent with the LA Times ads. More days then not it is not listed. But then on some days it is. I will try and snap a shot and post here next time I see it. I get the paper every day so I will look.

markinthedark
markinthedark on April 28, 2014 at 11:03 am

RobertAlex or Chris: Can one of you snap a photo and post the a current Pacific Theaters listing in the LA Times with The Chinese Theatres listed? Would love to see it.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on April 25, 2014 at 11:21 pm

The new marquee above box office is in place. Currently (4/25/14), the “TCL Chinese Theatre” branding runs through an animated light cycle, but the main body of the sign hasn’t yet been activated. As with the recently overhauled box office, this remodel is a significant upgrade and creates a much more prominent visual presence for ticket sales.

Zubi
Zubi on April 14, 2014 at 9:28 am

There’s still Mann Theatres of Minnesota (Ted Mann’s brother’s chain). http://manntheatres.com

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

It’s Mann Theatres that is extinct, not Pacific.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on April 13, 2014 at 11:57 am

I didn’t know Pacific Theaters still existed I thought it was an extinct chain RobertAlex.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm

That makes sense since ArcLight books them.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 3, 2014 at 8:58 am

The Chinese and the Chinese 6 movie times are listed under Pacific Theaters in the LA Times now.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on April 2, 2014 at 3:53 pm

They’ve almost finished the box office remodel. While still in the same location (adjacent to Hollywood Blvd. sidewalk), it is now much more prominent and wraps around the corner, in to a street side entry (entrance which provides access to the escalator on the right and Grauman’s on the left). A definite upgrade from the somewhat inconspicuous configuration which existed previously.

wired4sound
wired4sound on February 13, 2014 at 6:11 am

Here’s a link to a photo of Miss Temple’s cement block. At the time of signing, she was a month away from her seventh birthday: seeing-stars

robboehm
robboehm on February 12, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Ad from March 14, 1935 upload in the photos section announcing that Shirley Temple would appear to leave her handprints that evening. The film, The Little Colonel, had opened at the Chinese, and also at the downtown Loew’s State, the day before.

Cliffs
Cliffs on January 16, 2014 at 1:35 am

bigjoe59… there has certainly been an increase in business as well as a decent turnover in films. The biggest problem with the Chinese right now (and this is going to sound strange) is that very few people know about it. When Mann started dumping off theaters and the Chinese lost what little booking power it had to Arclight and the El Capitan, a lot of people (myself included) kind of abandoned the theater. Not because I really wanted to, but because it wasn’t the (overall) best place to see a movie anymore. There was no reserved seating and (worst of all) usually nothing of interest to see there. I can honestly say that in the past 5 years I’d only gone to Grauman’s to see Fast and Furious, District 9, Clash of the Titans, Predators, McGruber, Harry Potter 7.2, and X-Men: First Class (I didn’t even attend one single movie there in all of 2012). So that’s 7 movies in 5 years. Since the IMAX conversion I’ve been there at least once a month (going again tonight to see Jack Ryan, which will be my 5th trip there in 4 months). But that’s us here on CT. I don’t think the public at large is really aware of the changes. It was painful and sad to watch the Dome pack itself rather quickly for Catching Fire while the Chinese was half to half+ full. But I think (hope) that people are becoming more aware and we’ll see what happens this summer, which will have Spider-Man, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Transformers 4, Jupiter Ascending, and Into the Storm giving them plenty of product to choose from.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on January 15, 2014 at 3:19 pm

bigjoe59 – There has been a noticeable increase in business. Still far short of the levels the theatre should be doing/once did, but movement in a positive direction, none the less. Just having decent bookings once again has helped.

As for Arclight booking the Chinese complex; it’s not all that surprising. There are many small operators that utilize larger chains and co-ops for bookings, purchasing, etc.It’s a win-win for both sides, as greater numbers mean greater buying power.