Fun-Lan Drive-In

2302 E. Hillsborough Avenue,
Tampa, FL 33610

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on March 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I like the old marquee the new electronic one looks crappy to me,must be cheaper than paying someone to change to letters.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on March 7, 2010 at 1:57 am

Great pictures Nick. THey should have never tripled it.Understand why Charlie can’t go back.{Charlie was a projectionist in the old days}

Nunzienick
Nunzienick on March 7, 2010 at 12:22 am

Believe it or not The Fun-Lan was at one time A VERY NICE DRIVE-IN AS A SINGLE SCREENER! Here are two aerial views taken in 1954:

Here’s the sharp-looking marquee which was identical to the marquee at the Dale Mabry Drive-In. This photo is dated 1950.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 19, 2009 at 1:28 am

Yes, many managers would live on the site in tiny apartments under the screen. that is not unheard of.

RXD
RXD on December 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm

There was also a Fun-Lan Drive In on US#1 in Edgewater, Fl. They would hand out
Pic on especially buggy nights but the most unusual thing about the place was the
family that ran it actually lived in the cinder block screen! Strange but true.

ozmarules
ozmarules on December 17, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Thank you MikeRogers – we have connected!

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 17, 2009 at 3:38 am

Nick, go to HILLSBORO Drive in , i have some stories for you to see.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Nick, IS THE EXPERT ON TAMPA drive ins and walk in Theatres in that city.I will let him know about your post and I am sure he will be able to about answer any question on Tampa theatres.

ozmarules
ozmarules on December 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm

MikeRogers – Who is NICK? I hear his name mentioned on here alot -I am very interested in what you wrote – Can you please contact so I can further explain. Thanks –

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on November 1, 2009 at 1:56 am

I wanted to visit a Drive in in Tampa when i brought the kids down from Georgia and my friend Nick wanted us to visit a Drive in. Nick, admitted it was a gem in its day. He knows the projectionist so he had alot of great stories to tell. Like i Told Nick that was the most screwed up drive in i had seen in awhile.{there is triple drive in in Commerce,Ga. that is almost as BAD. We watched AMOVIE ON A FENCE at the FUN-LAND, AN HONEST TO GOODNESS FENCE.talk about greed.

And how the heck do you get out of there on a crowded night?

Jorge
Jorge on October 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Yes, I live in the area & can confirm that Fun-Lan now has a total of 4 screens!

Unfortunately, I’ve gone to Fun-Lan plenty of times as a flea market, but only gone ONCE for a movie…and that movie was ‘Sliver’ starring Sharon Stone. I was on a date with a girlfriend, it began to rain and…let’s just say I still haven’t seen all of ‘Sliver’ to this day! :o)

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 17, 2005 at 12:53 pm

This drive in sucks. The original owner Floyd Theaters built them so the screen is always full so when they have a movie that is in cinemascope, part of the film is hanging off the edge of the screen into the dark. They had many theaters in the Tampa area in the 70’s and they were all like that except one, the 20th Century which had the largest drive in screen in the USA. I live in Ft lauderdale now and we have a 13 screen drive in which is the same thing, no decent screens to show cinemascope projection.I wouldn’t waste my money.