Alexandria Theatre

5400 Geary Boulevard,
San Francisco, CA 94121

terrywade
terrywade on August 19, 2007 at 10:58 am

The United Artists in downtown SF never had a curved scrren for it’s roadshow 70mm movies. I saw The Bible a D150 film at the UA on a flat large 70mm screen. Same at the Alexandria it had a 70mm screen that had a small curve to it, not the Todd-Ao full wrap around curve. To bad the Alexandria showed most of the Todd-Ao prints on a almost flat screen.Can you imagine seeing the movie Cleopatra on a big curved screen inside the Alexandria. I had to see it run flat when it played at this great SF roadshow house. Right theatre to show this film in, you felt like you were on the Nile.

veyoung52
veyoung52 on August 5, 2007 at 8:11 pm

While I was stationed in Monterey in 1966/7, I saw “The Bible” at the United Artists on Market Street. At the time it seemed as if there too a deep curve screen had been replaced by a smaller one on a flat track.

terrywade
terrywade on August 5, 2007 at 1:23 pm

When Mike Todd died the TODD-AO big curved screen went with him. Like the Alex in SF they did not have the big curved Todd-Ao screen that the Coronet had up the street. Seems it had a small curve? They had in the adds TODD-AO but it was mainly flat. The Coronet removed the great curved Todd-Ao curved screen after Oklahoma and Around the World. Heard the My Fair Lady 70mm people didn’t want the curve look at the Coronet. To bad the curved curtains stayed up till it closed but a smaller scope screen was put in. Maybe they will do at the Sf Alexandria what is being done at the Cinema 21 (Marina) put in a store on the bottom with a theatre upstairs?

Eric
Eric on July 31, 2006 at 7:19 am

AWESOME PHOTO DAN. Thanks for sharing!

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on July 30, 2006 at 4:31 pm

My photograph of the ALEXANDRIA View link

Eric
Eric on May 15, 2006 at 7:33 am

Thank you ANTKNEE for verifying that info.

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on May 12, 2006 at 8:29 am

I just drove by last night and saw that the marquee refers to the YMCA around the corner…..the theater itself is NOT the YMCA. Just thought I’d pass that on.

fats88
fats88 on May 12, 2006 at 5:50 am

I grew up on the Presidio,( 1976-81 ) and used to sneak through a hole in the fence that put you on 15th ave. and Lake, rather than go all the way around to the Lincoln/25th ave. entrance. Through the summers of 1976-‘77 my buddies and I saw many films at the Coliseum, the Coronet, and the Alexandria. The Alexandria was a particular favorite place because of the Atari Gand prix game in the lobby. I remember seeing the Sorcerer, A bridge to far, a double feature of both the Godfather and the GodfatherII !, and more that I can’t recall at the moment. The last film I saw there was The adventures of Yellow dog in 1994. A few years ago I was walking in the richmond, and was devastated to see the coliseum just after they finished a phase, the building was gutted, no insides, no roof just the outside walls, I just stopped and stared, just seeing it like that …and just like now as I’m typing this,it made me cry. It made me remember not only the films I saw there, but also the buddies and girlfriends I went there with. Remember the line in the classic film Vertigo that the tycoon said to James Stewart’s character “ The things that mean San Francisco to me are quickly disappearing ” I guess this happens to all of us who live long enough.

magicknight
magicknight on April 6, 2006 at 12:15 am

it’s a shame with whats going on with theaters in San Francisco.

StevesNostalgia
StevesNostalgia on March 8, 2006 at 9:21 am

This is the theater I really miss because it reminded me so much of the Granada Theater in Reno, NV. I loved the main auditorium so much! I thought it was beautiful. I would make special Saturday trips just to be here no matter what was playing – the 38 Geary was always fast and constant so getting to and fro was no problem. The place smelled like freshly popped popcorn (the new multiplexes DON’T).
I saw ALIEN 3, DARK CITY, THE CORE, HANNIBAL, DANTE’S PEAK…all great Saturday afternoons spent here. I would never jump theaters – I would go right down to the box office and pay for another film. That’s how much I loved this place.
Greatly missed.

Eric
Eric on March 6, 2006 at 4:46 pm

As long as it’s still standing, there’s still hope… With all the drama going on with the AMC’s right now, and with the Four Star, you never know…

magicknight
magicknight on March 6, 2006 at 2:53 am

i’m just hoping someone some day can reopen the Alexandria again as a movie theater, thats what it’s ment to be. I worked there for 6yrs and was there the day it closed and i really do hope to one day see the doors reopen. Thats one thing really missing from this City and thats our neighborhood theaters, they are all vanishing and i find that truely sad.

wayman
wayman on January 22, 2006 at 3:49 am

I was pissed when I drove by the Alexandria and saw that it’s boarded up. I only saw one movie there – “One Night Stand” with Wesley Snipes back in 1997 – but it was one of the gems in the city. Sadly now the Coronet is gone. Say goodbye to quality and hello to crammed multi-plexes.

Aerick
Aerick on January 5, 2006 at 4:59 pm

wow. i cannot belive I never went to this theater. I lived in San Francisco from 1982 to 2001, but I lived on Nob Hill and really went as far as the coronet and Bridge cinemas to see films. I never realized the Alexandria looked like this as it always seemed so hidden away and that far down Geary was not in my circle. If it was playing at the Alexandria, it was playing also at the Metro or Regency or Kabuku or that place on Van Ness across from the Regency. I have always loved older Theatres but simply had no idea of the beauty of this one.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 28, 2005 at 5:37 pm

From the SF Public Library website:

Eric
Eric on September 18, 2005 at 9:01 am

All hail Cinematour.com. We really took a lot of photo’s that day (the last operating day), and we really tried to capture the feel of the theatre. Looking at the photos, I remember being in there just like it was yesterday. :–)

leeroychile
leeroychile on September 17, 2005 at 1:11 pm

Hey Chuck1231, there’s a problem with that link. Would love to see the photo. I just learned that this theater closed. I live in L.A. now, but grew up in San Francisco. I went to elementary school at Argonne, just blocks away from ‘82 to '87. I think I saw Never Ending Story at this theater. I know I saw other films there, but can’t quite remember what. I hope this theater can be saved from demolition. Not only that, of course, I hope this piece of history can be put back into action. Theaters such as this one should be considered national historical landmarks.

Lesliemak
Lesliemak on August 25, 2005 at 9:28 pm

When I was a child, my family traveled from our hometown in Merced for 2 hours to attend the opening of The Sound of Music at the Alexandria Theatre in San Francisco. The tickets were a skyhigh $5 each but we were happy to pay for the experience of the movie and the theatre. It was a memory I will not forget.

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on July 17, 2005 at 7:43 am

Yep, and the strange thing is all the lights that still burn at night…..even the neon parking lot sign is lit.

Eric
Eric on July 17, 2005 at 7:20 am

Well, The Alex is still standing there, and nothing has changed since it ‘closed’. Only change is that the store fronts have been rented out. They could have continued operating it as a theatre all this time, making more $$ to finally eventually convert it into condos or whatever their plans are for it. What a waste…

William
William on May 24, 2005 at 4:13 pm

Here the 70MM engagements from Michael’s list, 1958 thru 1981. Some early dates include the North California premiere dates.

“South Pacific” July 1st, 1958
“Can-Can” May 18th, 1960
“The Alamo” Oct. 26th, 1960
“Exodus” Feb. 8th, 1961
“El Cid” Dec. 20th, 1961
“Cleopatra” June 26th, 1963
“Oliver!” Dec. 19th, 1968
“Patton” June 9th, 1970 (it opened Mar. 5th @ Golden Gate)
MGM FABULOUS FOUR ENGAGEMENT
“Dr. Zhivago” Sept. 22 thru Nov. 2 1971
“Gone With The Wind” Nov. 3 thru Nov. 9th 1971
“2001” Nov. 10 thru 16, 1971
“Ryan’s Daughter” Nov. 17 thru 23, 1971 (First time in SF in 70MM)
“Nicholas & Alexandra” Feb. 2nd, 1972
“The Poseidon Adventure” Dec. 22, 1973
“The Towering Inferno” Dec. 20th, 1974 (with the Parkside)
“Lucky Lady” Dec. 25th 1975
“Logan’s Run” June 23, 1976
“Sleeping Beauty” Nov. 9th, 1979 (Re-Issue)
“Alien” June 5th, 1981 (Re-Issue)

William
William on May 24, 2005 at 3:27 pm

Here are the bookings for Jeffery’s post above.

“My Fair Lady” opened at the Coronet Oct. 30th 1964