El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

dtrigubetz on September 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I can’t believe there were only 13 of us at the El Capitan on a Saturday night for the 9:20PM screening of Arjun: The Warrior Prince! Yes, it was in Hindu, but the English subtitles were very readable and the story very simple to follow. To its credit the organist Ed Vodicka was not sent home early but played for the pre-show. Los Angeles/Orange County has a huge and affluent Indian population. Did Disney not market to them? Does Disney not cross-market the El Capitan to the millions of visitors to Disneyland, never mind all the Disney theme parks worldwide? LA Times says we are having a banner tourism year and the El Cap did have Arjun on their marquee with the showing time listed for thousands of passersby to see. Very depressing.

FYI, theater management can’t wait for the scaffolding to come down, but apparently in retrofitting the office bldg they had to install additional steel rods and the such.

BTW, Grauman’s is sold out for the “Godfather” showing at 8PM, on 9/10. I do have a few extra tix; if anyone needs one email me

silver on September 4, 2012 at 11:13 pm

FWIW, the Roger Rabbit “Throwback Thursday” was also promoted a few times on their twitter feed over the past couple of weeks. @ElCapitanThtre Disney really needs to get their marketing act together for the El Capitan.

DonSolosan on September 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

It’s “Throwback Thursday,” and I missed it too. I didn’t see it on their web page, but it is on their Facebook page. They had people voting for which film they wanted to see.

Cliffs on September 4, 2012 at 2:46 am

I’m on their email list and heard NOTHING about a screening of Roger Rabbit. That really depresses me because I would have liked to be there. I just went back through all of my email “mailers” and not a single mention of Rollback Thursday or Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

dtrigubetz on September 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

8/30 follow up: The El Cap is experimenting with “Rollback Thursday”, bringing back “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”, for a 7:30P showing. Everyone paid $10 and got a popcorn and beverage(16 oz. bottles in about 6 choices).

Pulling out the stops, organist Rob Richards, who normally only plays on Sat & Sun, was brought in to play before the movie and got a rousing applause from the estimated 275 in attendance. 5 or 6 nice door prizes were awarded, including 2 tickets to a Red Carpet event.

Get on their email list and learn about special screenings, such as the Indian animation “Arjun”, showing only at 9:20P for a few days starting 9/3.

dtrigubetz on September 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm

In 1950, when I was four my parents took me to see “Cinderella”. Happily the El Capitan brought it back in its original 4x3 format, and I caught the final 4:45P

show on 8/30, along with about 125 other patrons(surprised how many young adults were there).

The kids squealed when the confetti cannons from the boxes rained down colored discs, and after the movie loved picking them up. The lobby always has great displays and it was amusing to see a fearful little girl being gently prompted to have her photo taken by the little fish in the Finding Nemo display, as there was a large fearsome shark stalking the fish; courage prevailed and the little girl got my bravery medal.

Trolleyguy on March 31, 2012 at 11:49 am

The exterior of this theater is featured in the 2011 “Muppets” movie.

HowardBHaas on February 24, 2012 at 5:03 am

ABC’s Good Morning America is being broadcast right now live from the auditorium in a pre-Oscar show, with audience in the seats.

dtrigubetz on September 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This 65-year-old saw the “Lion King-3D”, for the first time last Friday at the 7:30 show. My ticket was only $11 and we had an enthusiastic crowd of about 750. The following night the line was around the block for a Conversation with Dr. Jane Goodall Featuring the Presentation of the 2011 Jane Goodall Global Leadership Awards.

I think both Graumans Chinese and the El Capitan will pick up a little more business as the new Cirque du Soleil show at the Kodak Theatre is drawing many patrons who have not visited Hollywood and Highland for years. That said, health inspectors need to cite illegal non-licensed food vendors that crowd the street and hurt brick and mortar tax paying businesses.

BhillH20 on May 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Its been around for 85 years now and still going strong!!

Ross Care
Ross Care on April 27, 2011 at 9:15 am

Photo of the 2006 revival of 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA at the El Capitan.

Giles on March 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm

how well is the theater doing since ‘Mars Needs Moms’ has turned out to be an outright bomb for Disney?

TLSLOEWS on March 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Saw this theatre on T.V.last night,very nice.

dctrig on December 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for the great photos. I tried to buy a ticket online for tonight’s midnight show but it is sold out. May try to catch it at the Crest in Westwood. Wanted to make it a double feature as I’m going over to the Egyptian at 7:30 to see “Auntie Mame.”

FYI – Goldstar has discounted tickets for TRON. They usually have tix for all El Capitan attractions and occasional tix for the Egyptian, Aero, Silent Movie Theater.

NothingDiesWithBlueSkies on December 12, 2010 at 11:51 am

The Premiere for “Tron: Legacy” was last night at the El Capitan. Disney really spared no expense.. great lighting.. the El Capitan looked awesome. I’ve posted some photos here:
Tron: Legacy premiere at the El Capitan

dctrig on December 9, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Thanks for the nice photos. As one who contributes annually 200 paid admissions to L A movie theater economy please let me point out the Hollywood High School auditorium just a block south of Hollywood Blvd on Highland.

The auditorium is frozen in the 1950s-absolutely no updates, with all wood seats. Their open to the public productions are only $5 seniors $8 general. I am going tonight at 7PM to see their production of “Black Orpheus, which runs through Sunday. I attended their November dance production three times; as a former dancer I found the choreography very good and entertaining. Disadvantaged students are giving a chance to perform. When was the last time you saw a 250 lb male dancer-he gamely perservered in many numbers.

For my money the Hollywood High productions are great value.

dctrig on December 1, 2010 at 6:38 pm

The Thanksgiving 7PM show of “Tangled” was another Disney winner. The theater was about two-thirds filled and what value for $15 seniors, $18 regular: Each attendee gets a gold coin commemorating Disney’s 50th animated motion picture, an oversized ducat, and a great pre-show.

Organist Rob Richards played to an appreciate audience followed by a nice Disney characters live show. The curtain work is excellent. Folks, if you are ever going to introduce your kids, grandkids, whomever, what the golden age of cinema was like please support the El Capitan. For organ enthusiatists Rob Richards will be presenting a special film and music program on January 15, 2011.

Giles on November 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

thanks for the clarification DCTrig – I really need to do another trip to the LA area and just go to movies.

LawMann on November 11, 2010 at 9:10 am

One more thing, Bruce Martin (RIP) did a good job there as the chief projectionist back in the 90’s.

LawMann on November 11, 2010 at 9:08 am

I worked there as a projectionist when it was the Paramount and I saw a Disney movie there as a non-projectionist after I retired. To tell you the truth, I was never really impressed by this theatre whether working as a projectionist or as an audience member. It’s probably because Grauman’s Chinese theatre which is on the other side of Hollywood Blvd is a more historic and better place to see (and hear) films. One thing though, the El Cap sure has a better looking marquee.

dctrig on November 3, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Went a second time to see “Nightmare Before XMAS”, 9:15P show last Saturday. Almost 800 in the theater; my wait line extended into the alley way behind the El Capitan. Ushers were very efficient, passing out the 3D glasses and bell bracelets as we waited. The first week the bracelets were RED this week GREEN.

As I was famished I ordered the personal pizza which turned out to be quite tasty(better than a pizza I recently had at a pizzeria in N Hollywood).

dctrig on October 24, 2010 at 11:59 pm

My $11 senior tix brought me a barrel of fun at the 7PM showing today of “Nightmare Before Christmas 3D”. Rob Richards played Phantom themed tunes before the show on the mighty Wurlitzer. We were given wrist bracelets with bells attached to shake when cued in the movie. Fun lighting and fog effects were used during the movie.

FYI, the Kids Combo for $5.50 gets you a soft drink, popcorn and small bag of M & M candy; you can add a jumbo hotdog-which I did- for $2.50.

Disney does it right with a souvenir quality jumbo ticket. About 300 were at my screening.

dctrig on October 13, 2010 at 11:31 am

Giles- the $22 you refer to also includes a drink & popcorn. The $10-$13 seats constitute the vast majority of seating and actually are more screen friendly. The VIP seats are too close to an overpowering screen.

DonSolosan on October 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm

El Cap is the most successful single screen theater in the country and Disney is totally committed to it, so I don’t think it’s in any danger.

BradE41 on October 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I think because it was Monday at 9:45 and it is a film that is caters to Adults or the Family Audience. The El Capitan seems to make is killing with Pixar and other Disney event films. Guarantee when TRON opens in December the El Cap will be filled to the max through New Years day.

When I went to see Secretariat Friday opening day @ 4pm there were only about 25 people in the audience.