AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mt. Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,544 comments

theatrefan
theatrefan on August 15, 2015 at 6:18 pm

moviebuff82, what are the red and green tickets that cannot be used for Disney movies?

moviebuff82 on August 15, 2015 at 2:44 pm

I’m not sure….I know some theaters have better projectors as when I saw Hunger Games Catching Fire and they didn’t have a 3d polarizer in front of the projector. The picture was sharp and full resolution and the surround sound was loud along with the trailers. This was when AMC started to expand the running time of previews to 30 minutes and used their dots campaign. I saw “Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation” in IMAX one week ago on Saturday and for the first time the preshow filled the entire IMAX screen despite running a few minutes late. I saw near the guard rails on the left side of the row above the non stadium seating. The sound was great yet the picture quality was blurry in some action scenes yet some scenes had a film grain look to it. A few days later I saw Minions in one of the smaller theaters in 3D. During the preshow they showed two 3D commercials then a couple of two d trailers before amc again told me and one of my friends to put them on again although we kept wearing them. The 2d image was a bit dark yet clear despite portions of the screen (especially the bottom) cut off due to masking. As for the 3D it was good. The sound was a bit quiet yet clear. AMC needs better soundproofing in their auditoriums…also recently they won’t accept Red and Green tickets for Disney movies but they will accept AMC silver and gold passes. The tuesday I went there, it was packed because it was Stubs Appreciation Day. Morning prices on tickets all day. Also AMC has a strict card policy on younger people for R rated movies.

thebrat
thebrat on August 8, 2015 at 5:39 pm

First visit today for “Shaun the Sheep Movie” at theater 10. The film was a riot but the 8.5-year-old complex could have been maintained better.

The picture appeared to be dull, half-resolution, and problematic with chromatic aberration. The sound wasn’t pleasing for the trailers but the movie was too quiet, Fantastic Four in #9 next door added some unneeded bass and rumble.

After the other patrons left I looked at the port window to find a CHRISTIE unit (unusual for AMC) with a 3D polarizer in front of it. AMC (and other major chains) are generally incompetent with technical maintenance and they are notorious for playing 2D movies through 3D filters. http://tinyurl.com/4xpn5n6 The article is over 4 years old and it still rings true.

A question, is the Christie in #10 4K compatible?

Rutgersgirl
Rutgersgirl on August 5, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Any word on seat replacements? Some of the seats are off their hinges and not comfortable at all

robboehm
robboehm on July 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm

When you see a picture of the whole building you think of the temples at Luxor or Karnak

moviebuff82 on June 21, 2015 at 2:56 pm

As a result lines move quicker as I saw when I went to see Jurassic World in 3d real d. They need to align the lenses better since some scenes had bad 3d. Also there was masking so that the ratio was closer to 1.85 so that trailers and policy ads and preshow were shown that way. The sound mixing was good although I had a hard time listening to the dialogue with kids in the theater.

moviebuff82 on June 10, 2015 at 2:16 pm

AMC removed the cashiers at the box office and replaced it with automatic ticket machines…sign of the times…

moviebuff82 on June 4, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Paul the ticket taker in the wheelchair passed away this morning at his home unexpectedly….thoughts and prayers to his family…

moviebuff82 on May 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info Giles.

Giles
Giles on May 27, 2015 at 3:26 pm

^ that’s because ‘Tomorrowland’ is under performing ‘San Andreas’ is a 11th hour decision from IMAX and Warners.

moviebuff82 on May 27, 2015 at 3:08 pm

looks like tomorrowland will share time with San Andreas in imax this weekend for a few weeks until Jurassic World comes out.

moviebuff82 on May 5, 2015 at 9:05 pm

just noticed at this theater after i saw avengers in fake 3d that they installed coke freestyle machines near the snack bar. About time.

moviebuff82 on April 14, 2015 at 3:31 pm

saw furious 7 in regular and thought the movie was well done. Very loud and fast paced action. The cinematography was very sharp. This movie will have legs.

moviebuff82 on March 26, 2015 at 3:17 pm

http://gizmodo.com/imaxs-new-laser-projectors-make-me-wish-i-lived-in-a-mo-1689480610 I’m sure this theater will get this soon and maybe upgrade their 4k projectors to 8k soon

moviebuff82 on January 8, 2015 at 11:49 am

The museum movie was great. Projection was bright and very sharp yet the film had a grainy feel to it since it was shot on digital. Minor masking on top of the screen. audio was great.

moviebuff82 on December 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Saw hobbit in 3d thought the 3d was blurry the movie dragged on for too long. Very full house. Some good trailers especially Star Wars in converted 3d with the imax footage at the end of the millenium falcon chasing the tie fighters. Also a trailer for The Walk which is based on the Man on a Wire story. No Mad Max trailer. I plan on seeing Night at the Museum 3 soon.

moviebuff82 on December 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Speaking of Hobbit I’ll see it in Imax 3D on my bday. Good thing tickets were preordered before hand. I’m sure it will be a bit blurry in 3d but the movie is shorter and I’ll get to see the new star wars trailer in IMAX.

moviebuff82 on December 20, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Went to see mockingjay and enjoyed it. Looks like the interview poster is gone and no HFR hobbit playing.

moviebuff82 on December 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I plan on seeing hobbit in Imax 3d and also mockingjay soon. I’m sure amc will pull the interview posters from the theater. I was so looking forward to seeing this but it looks like ill rent it on bluray.

moviebuff82 on December 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm

The Interview won’t be playing here anytime soon….

moviebuff82 on December 16, 2014 at 3:47 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article4512995.html wonder if it’s coming here…

moviebuff82 on December 10, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Just came back from seeing Big Hero 6 in 2D at the real D auditorium. Very good movie. Stay until after the credits for a bonus scene. Seems that this theater is empty on non peak hours even if the entire mall is busy due to the holidays. Work is still being done for Five Guys near the parking lot of the theater. No word on when it will open but there will be more dinner choices after the movies in addition to Qdoba, Maggie Moo’s, and of couse my favorite Panera bread.

moviebuff82 on December 1, 2014 at 7:44 pm

advance tickets now on sale for several December movies, including a 9 hour Hobbit marathon in Imax 3D.