Pacific 1-2-3

6433 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

terrywade on January 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Big rumor going around Hollywood these days that the Scientology people that own so many building in Hollywood are makeing a move to get the Warner Pacific Cinerama office building and theatre on Hollywood Blvd from Pacific Theatres. I beleive a small church group rents out the large theatre on Sundays. This great theatre has huge office space above, so they may want to convert to class rooms ect like they have done all over Hollywood Blvd. Some bolder people have even called me the last few weeks that they heard the Scientology gang wants to buy the whole chain Arclight with the Cinerama Dome Theatre as their world headquaters. I hope this does not happen and that’s why I think people spreading the rumor got confused and the S church people are only interested in the Warner Hollywood building and theatre. My friends at Pacific Theatres are keeping their mouth closed about what is going on. They won’t tell me yes or now. If the Scientology group get’s the Dome Tom Cruise and John Travolta can show their films along with a space religious show in the Cinerama Dome. Pacific did sell off all there San Diego theatres recently. But If the Pacific/Arclight family wants to sell the Arclight brand chain why are they going into the Chicago market at this time? I don’t think they will sell to a church they are not in the movie theatre business. Lets see who comes out with the correct info about the future of the Warner Cinerama Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. Hope the new owners or renters trim the two trees that are wrecking the marquee. Gone may be the two tall Pacific blue Pacific neon towers on the roof, they may soon flash Scientology! I was always hoping that the Shuberts came into the Warner Hollywood to give the Pantages Nederlanders some competition down the street.

jsittig on August 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm

The Cinerama screen was removed in the early 1970’s. Not sure of the date. Clockwork Orange played here and it still had the curve at that time. In fact, it still had the CINERAMA name on the marquee in lights where the words PACIFIC are now.

CSWalczak on August 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Roland Lataille’s page for this this theater confirms that a flat screen was installed and that the deeply-curved Cinerama strip screen removed, but no date is given. My guess it was sometime after the run of “2001” which ended in the fall of 1970 (which was the last Cinerama film of any kind to play at the Warner Hollywood) and probably not later than the triplexing of the theater in 1978.

bigjoe59 on August 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hello From-

i first traveled out to L.A. in the spring of 1980 and did so for the next several years. to which my question- the first several years i went to the Pacific on a handful of occasions. by the luck of the draw the film i chose was always playing in the main auditorium. when i first went came out to L.A. in 1980 i could
swear in fact i’m 99% certain they still had the curved Cinerama screen up in the main auditorium. so did they keep it up from the early 80s to when the theater closed in August of ‘94 or was it replaced with a regular flat screen at some point?

RogerA on May 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Diana I hope if you do buy the H.P. and reopen it that you will restore it to what it once was. The only problem with that is the cost. Big theaters just don’t make money like they used to.

William on June 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm

You was there when Jack Tate was there and later the World Theatre.

DianaMarks(Brennan) on June 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I want to buy the old H.P. and reopen it one day.

ian williams
ian williams on June 18, 2011 at 3:25 am

What a sad street Hollywood Blvd. is now. Only saving grace for movie buffs is the El Capitan beautifly restored by Disney from the horrible modern plaster treatment by Paramount circa 1960? Also with the former 4/36 Wurlitzer from possibly the greatest movie palace of all, the Fox Theatre in San Francisco! Of course, Grauman’s Chinese goes on as usual. IMHO, the most beautifl thetrein the LA area is the Los Angeles in Downtown LA. 2nd? The Pantages; 3rd. The Chinese. The Los Angeles is avalable for film shoots @ $10,000 a day!!!

Ian Williams, Founding Member, Save The Regent Theatre (Melbourne) Committee. LOOK UP MY WEB PAGE for the TRUE story of the fight to save this theatre which has been my life’s love. I am the ONLY member of a cetain film society who has had a long association with this hstoric theatre right through the restoration period. Have they ever ‘reconized’ this? NOT BLOODY LIKELY !!! …………………… …………………….The Ghost That Won’t Lie Dpwn"

William on June 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Back in the day there was so many theatres to choose from to see a film. The Pacific will come back some day after someone with really deep pockets works on it.

socal09 on June 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Why would the Chinese 6 close? That place is packed with tourists. Also you’re forgetting the old Egyption movie theatre, now the American Cinemateque shows movies regularly. Hollywood Blvd is hardly void of film exhibition

BRADE48 on June 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I think a restoration is in order. Too bad a studio doesn’t take it over ala El Capitan and revive to a single screen with premiere engagements. It closed also because the Chinese and Chinese twins, and then recently opened GCC Galaxy were more popular. Funny, the Galaxy is gone, the Chinese now 6 will probably close and Hollywood Blvd will ALMOST be void of film exhibition.

socal09 on June 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

Tinseltoes: Love the old British Pathe newsreel. It’s always sad to walk by this old theatre and see it gated off. I’m not sure the two towers on the roof or if the marquee lights up anymore. From what I’ve read, the cost to restabilise the interior after the earthquake damage is prohibitive. It would be nice if the drapes were taken down in the main auditorium and the old decorations revealed again. With all the development at Vine and Highland, perhaps the Pacific (Warner) will have its day again sometime in the near future. Additional screens could even be built next door in the empty lot to make a rehabilitation project more viable. Does Pacific Theatres still own this property? Is its proximity to the Arclight why no one has tried to get this place operating again? Parking can’t be an issue since a zillion people come into this area at night and find a spot.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 1, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hey, I just checked the photos and it HAS been deleted. Thank you, whoever did that.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 1, 2011 at 7:32 am

Sorry guys. I posted the wrong picture (Los Angeles Theater) on this page. I asked for help in getting it deleted, but haven’t heard from anyone yet.

fieldight on June 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

I first remember seeing Animal House here as an 8 year old. I went home that night and trashed my room, inspired by the film. Later I remember Fame was a big movie playing there. Jesus Christ Superstar. As a kid I used to play in the big lobby outside the bathrooms downstairs—I mean running leaps and somersaults all over that carpet. Saw Thelma and Louise there near it’s closing.

Bway on May 31, 2011 at 12:41 am

Yes, this photo is obviously a photo of the Los Angeles Theater in Downtown LA on Broadway, not the Pacific on Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood.

jopie on May 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Incredible, Tinseltoes. I’m on staff at the church currently occupying this precious theatre and we’ve been talking about how to restore the marquis. This footage will be crucial.

William on May 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm

You can see at around the 11:30 second mark across the street the Iris Theatre.

GaryParks on May 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Great post, Tinseltoes. Wonderful footage of the marquee’s neon animation. It’s amazing that marquee is nearly all intact today, save for the name change to PACIFIC, of course. If the marquee is ever restored, this newsreel would be an invaluable resource for the restorers, as sometimes mechanisms for neon animation are missing, and neon restorers have to puzzle-out how the neon once animated.

Bway on April 28, 2011 at 9:20 am

I have no problem with churches taking over the theaters. In some cases they actually saved the theaters from being gutted, or worse, destroyed completely. I much rather have a church in the old theaters than being gutted for retail. Church conversions are generally quite kind to the integrity of the theater buildings, everything basically remains, the seats and everything….just the stage becomes an altar.
It’s much better having a church in a theater, and in turn maintaining the building, than for the building to sit vacant and fall into shambles.
In some cases, the theater even becomes a theater again, post church. We have the old Loews Wonder Theater, the 175th St Theater in Upper Manhattan that became a church in the 60’s or 70’s, and it has been beautifully maintained and restored. In recent years, it’s even been opened up back to theater activities, they have had concerts of some big bands there.

Here’s also a link to their own website with wonderful photos of the place. It even still has movie capability.

BradE41 on April 26, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Sad that this theatre has become a church. It would have been a beautiful theatre to restore.

BhillH20 on April 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm

This wonderful theater first opened its doors 83 years ago today !!

dctrig on February 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Movie alert! This grand old theatre will show “UP” at 2PM, Sunday 2/20/11. ALL are welcome and it is FREE.

Can you believe a church showing “La Dolce Vita”, as The Church in Hollywood did, on 1/31?

I attended the 11:15AM service yesterday and I could not believe I was the oldest one there(at 64). Something like 700 young singles, couples and babies(they have a day care center in the basement)breathing life and energy into the Pacific.

No strong-arm Scientology stuff. Kudos for Ecclesia church for partially lighting the Pacific sign.

William on January 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Right the 2001 engagement included the move-over to the Warner Beverly Hills.

HowardBHaas on January 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm

See the Introduction re how long some Cinerama films ran.

William- 2001 ran 80 weeks here? 103 weeks includes the Beverly Hills, too?