Loew's Grand Theatre

157 Peachtree Street NE,
Atlanta, GA 30303

jeterga
jeterga on March 23, 2011 at 8:07 am

Atlanta, Ga.: Jan. 31, 1978 – A passer-by pauses in front of the burned out shell of Loew’s Grand Theatre in Atlanta Tuesday morning after the theater was destroyed by fire Monday afternoon. The movie ‘Gone With the Wind’ premiered at the theater in December, 1939 and a street adjacent to the theater was named Margaret Mitchell Sq. in honor of the author. ( 1978

Cliff Carson
Cliff Carson on February 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

@ChrisD, I believe it was intentional. Atlanta has very little regard for it’s history or preservation.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

one can’t help but wonder if the fire in 1978 that heavily
damaged the theater and lead to its demolition was as we call
them in New York City a “business fire”(hint,hint).

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Mike, My Grandmother had a brick from the building she bought after it was torn down after the fire,she attended the “World Primier” of Gone with the Wind in 1939,ture story,wish I knew what happened to it.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on November 11, 2010 at 1:34 pm

This from a Jan.21 1926 ad on the LOEW’S GRAND. “5-HIGH CLASS ACTS” “VAUDEVILLE” and selected features.Photoplays,News Events.“A link in the chain of more than 356 Theatres owned and Constructed by Loew’s Inc.”{i could hardly make out that number,it could be off a bit,guys.}

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Too bad there are not more photos.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 26, 2009 at 3:32 pm

NO protests in AUGUSTA,GEORGIA were i worked the film.THE Marquee said THE LEGEND OF BLACK CHARLIE even though i said i t should be what was one the one sheets out side,We did not change them like they did on 100 RIFLES with Jim Brown and Raquel Welch,when it played at the MILLER across the street.

In 1975 times were bad at the GRAND as well other downtown theatres playing at the GRAND… THE HOUSE OF SKULL MOUNTAIN rated PG shows at 1 2;40, 4:25, 6:15,8:00 and 9:45. My how the mighty have fallen.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 18, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Lost Memory, thats some funny stuff, in this day of politically correctness I am glad that I did not have to install the letters on that marquee in Atlanta,they did not even let the black actors in “Gone with the Wind” at the “ World Premier” in 1939 as posted above.If there were any protests it only helped at the box office.People got to see what was so bad about the movie.Thanks to the protesters.I worked one movie at the LOEWS CRESCENT that was protested in Nashville, Tennessee. An Al Pacino movie" Crusing"A local preacher was shown on the local news opening night, the next week we were swamped, until it died off it was a pretty bad movie.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 18, 2009 at 11:00 am

Great pictures on this site the 1972 shot of the marquee shows a movie title that would not be used today. Interesting to see also that the Vertical sign was gone and the marquee had been replaced using the 70’s style LOEWS sign.

Don K.
Don K. on August 4, 2009 at 7:17 am

“Someone once said that ‘growing up in Georgia is like watching your past being hauled away in a dump truck’.

Sad but true."

That’s a quote from Doug Monroe’s column “The Monroe Doctrine” in ATLANTA MAGAZINE, for May, 2003. Let me urge you to look up the issue at the library and read the entire piece. He really sums up the dilemma of living in what he accurately calls “a temporary town”. Atlanta has sacrificed much of its character for dubious attempts at achieving progress. The results have sometimes been questionable, at best.

Cliff Carson
Cliff Carson on July 9, 2009 at 11:51 pm

I was lucky enough to see many films in this theatre before it closed and eventually tore down. Of course, by that time, the type of films that were being shown were grind house, horror and exploitation movies, but that was okay. The thrill of those days being young and taken downtown to this theatre was one I’ll never forget.

Someone once said that “growing up in Georgia is like watching your past being hauled away in a dump truck”.

Sad but true.

Don K.
Don K. on May 16, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Thank you, Warren! Having grown up in Atlanta, it was the stuff of legends! Margaret Mitchell literally put Atlanta on the map! The newsreel footage of the event is absolutely remarkable! Make sure you see the documentary that Turner Television produced that is now included on the DVD edition. The color footage of Peachtree Street is worth the price of admission, so to speak!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 16, 2009 at 5:50 am

The introductory remarks would benefit from mentioning the gala world premiere (not just “the premiere”) of “Gone With the Wind” at Loew’s Grand. It was one of the most-publicized events of the 1930s, with press coming from all over the USA, Canada, Latin America, and even England. Producer David O. Selznick flew in two plane-loads of Hollywood celebrities, including Clark Gable & Carole Lombard, Vivien Leigh & Laurence Olivier, and Olivia de Havilland. Atlanta was awash with parades, parties, and balls for several days.

Don K.
Don K. on May 16, 2009 at 4:15 am

Here is a link to a photo of the fire at the Loews Grand in 1978:

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on December 6, 2008 at 5:46 am

P.S. That’s one rare Woody wagon in the 1944 picture in Ken Mc’s Nov.28th post.
Oh, to own that car today.

MPol
MPol on December 6, 2008 at 5:39 am

The Loews Grand was also a spectacular-looking theatre, which certainly lived up to its name in its day.

themexsays
themexsays on December 6, 2008 at 1:33 am

To whom it may concern,

My name is Robert Napier. I am doing a documentary about Atlanta theaters. I am in search of locating an abandoned theatre and using the documentary as a catalyst to support renovations to the existing theatre. We are also looking for Atlanta locals who are between the ages of 40 & 70 who have exciting stories about their cinema experience at the time. For more information, please visit

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Here is a photo from Life Magazine, circa 1944:

JFBrantley
JFBrantley on November 26, 2008 at 3:41 pm

This was my favorite Atlanta theater. My brother and I would ride the bus from Hapeville downtown to see movies at the Loews Grand. We saw Hello Dolly, The April Fools, Ben Hur among other movies in the late 1960s.

By the 1970s things had changed for the Loews Grand. They began showing B-movies and the Blacksploitation films. Almost a year before it closed it did hold the premier of Galdys Knight’s movie Pipe Dreams.

While in undergrad school at Georgia State, I did manage to catch two movies at the Loews Grand, Obsession and The Farmer. Obsession was on a double bill with Taxi Driver. I now wish I had seen Taxi Driver there because that was a perfect place to see the movie.

I did try to make the final showing there. I thought it would have been at 9:45, but they had the earlier show as the final showing.

After the theater burned, I managed to buy two chairs from the auditorium. One was from the floor, and the other was from the balcony which was there when Gone With The Wind had its premier. I also have some pieces of the theater in my back yard. One put a permanent dent in my old Gremlin.

I really miss the Loews Grand. Perhaps if Georgia Pacific had not decided to move to Atlanta, and the theater was kept, it could have been a concert venue.

Don K.
Don K. on November 11, 2008 at 5:08 am

No matter what, native Atlantans still remember the Loew’s Grand fondly. Here’s a 1955 photograph of the Loew’s Grand when they were showing Walt Disney’s DAVY CROCKETT, KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER.

And yes, my dad took me to see it at the Loew’s Grand during that engagement!

Don K.
Don K. on November 11, 2008 at 4:55 am

The fact that the Loew’s Grand was the site of the world premiere of GONE WITH THE WIND was the theater’s real claim to fame. The truth was that the architecture was not particularly distinguished. It lacked the unity of design that made the Fox Theatre so remarkable. The design of the Loew’s Grand took a back seat to the nearby Peachtree Street theaters such as the Howard/Paramount {next door}; the Keith Georgia/Roxy; and (judging from photographs) the Capitol.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the Loew’s Grand’s location on Peachtree Street made the land far too valuable for the government of the City of Atlanta to justify preserving a theater- any theater.

1234
1234 on November 9, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Mr. Degive replied. “That’s hard to say. When I build I am not going to build for a few years, but I am going to build an opera house which will stay there until it is burned down.”

1234
1234 on November 9, 2008 at 6:04 pm

I have not seen any final report on the cause of the fire, even without the fire I doubt if the theater could have been saved. Atlanta Landmarks had just raised the 1.8 million to secure the FOX and it seems unlikely that Atlanta could come up with the money to do the Grand also. At least the FOX structure was in much better shape and had not been significantly altered over the years, The Grand on the other hand had been radically altered with the 1932 ART DECO redo, which even by the late 50’s had already had many of the fixtures removed or painted over. Except for the GWTW connection the Grand would have been a difficult preservation project to sell. Before construction started on the Grand in 1891, a reported from the Atlanta Constitution asked Mr. Degive when construction would begin