Loew's Grand Theatre
157 Peachtree Street NE,
14 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Styles: Art Deco, Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: DeGive Grand Opera House
Built in 1893 as the DeGive Grand Opera House. It was taken over by Marcus Loew in 1918 and was remodeled to become Loew’s Grand Theatre. It was here that the ‘Gala World Premiere’ of "Gone With The Wind" was held in 1939.
The Loew’s Grand Theatre listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, and last used for storage, was damaged by fire on January 30, 1978. It was demolished later in 1978.
The theater was memorialized by Davis Cone’s painting which can be viewed in Popcorn Palaces, available from Harry Abrams books.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 94 comments)
It might this theatre that had the World premiere of “Annie get your gun” in 1950(The star of the movie Betty Hutton was not invited to the premiere)!!
1957 photo added via Shorpy website below. Image can be enlarged there.
This opened on February 10th, 1893. Article: DeGive Grand Opera House opening · Sun, Feb 5, 1893 – Page 17 · The Atlanta Constitution (Atlanta, Georgia) · Newspapers.com
Also grand opening ad form 1893 in the photo section.
Marcus Loew was oerating the Grand as early as 1918, as reported in the May 18 issue of The Moving Picture World:
Remembering the 80th anniversary today of the world premiere of “Gone With the Wind” at Loew’s Grand Theatre on December 15th, 1939. Ad displayed here
Just posted a photo from the GP Center memorializing the Grand taken recently on a trip there.
An abundance of vintage film coverage of the 1939 premiere can be viewed on the internet, including some from MGM’s “News of the Day” newsreel. Click here
Some brief silent coverage in FULL COLOR of the 1939 world premiere can be viewed here
The fire was in the morning on Monday January 30, 1978.